German Import - paperwork

Richnliz100

Hi

We are new to this site, looks very good and a lot of the info has already been very handy.

We have just bought a Dethleffs Esprit Globetrotter privately from Germany and are now in the process of completing the paperwork for DVLA to obtain UK plates!

Anyone familiar with the documents issued for export, we are struggling to find the engine number and a few other items, any help gratefully appreciated.

Liz and Rich :-D

Guest JudgeMental

I suggest you bundle up all you have and get down to the DVLA. they will soon tell you whats missing.most of us leave major areas of forms blank and they will assist in this.

Be aware that if they inspect vehicle they may well insist on MPH speedo - they do seem to with new vehicles not sure of rules with secondhand...

You will need your Fahrzeugbrief (A4 sized paper) which is proof of ownership and fahrzeugschein (smaller) which is normally kept with the vehicle for producing to the Police.

The engine number should be on the F.brief

Beware when dealing with the DVLA they often do not know their own rules. I had a right old game importing my 4,600kg Hymer.

You may want to review this thread:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7320&posts=23

How heavy is your vehicle?

Judgemental is dead right about the speedo thing. You'll certainly be called for inspection so's they can be sure your's is a motor caravan not a commercial vehicle and the inspector will tell you you must fit a mph speedo. In fairness to the guys at Wimbledon they did not insist I returned for a second inspection with my mph clock fitted but allowed me to do it on trust.

Thanks for the advice!

Must admit we assumed we'd possibly get away without an inspection, but we will obviously do whatever we have to so that we can get UK plate asap, so we can start using the vehicle!

Unladen weight of vehicle is 2830kg :-)

Do you have an A4 document called EG-Ubereinstimmungsbescheinigung (Anhang IX) COC-Papier?  The entry in brackets may vary.  This is your vehicle's EC Certificate of Conformity.

Mine was pink and was issued by Burstner, whose name and company address appear top left.  In your case, Dethleffs.  On this, you should find all the information you will need for completion of the UK application for registration.  You should find that the entries are all numbered, and that the numbers equate to those on the V55/4 application form.

If you have the DVLA pack for personal importation you will have the necessary forms and the guidance notes.  If you don't have the pack, phone or visit DVLA, and ask for one.  It is quite comprehensive and very helpful.

You will need the get the speedometer changed for one that reads MPH, the headlamps changed for left dipping ones and the rear fog light mounted centrally, or on the UK offside.  Having one each side is also acceptable.  If you can present explicit copies of the receipts for the speedometer and headlamps, or for the completed work, at the same time as you visit your local DVLA office to register, DVLA should accept these as sufficient evidence that the necessary mods have been carried out, and may not wish to inspect.  However, I think you may have problems if you proceed without the import pack, as it includes a number of other essential forms.

Hi Brian

Thanks for your comments.

We have the import pack and its the v55/5 we are struggling to complete!

The vehicle is a 2001 model - do we need a certificate of conformity as we have an EC type approval number?

Headlights and fog lights all done by us - speedo not yet, but will be so I guess we will be due an inspection! :-)

Rich,

DVLA will accept a stick-on applied to the speedo instrument face - NOT to the glass above the face. You can easily make your own stick on on clear plastic (the sort that used to be used for overhead projectors), but getting at the instrument face may need some technical help.

Note that the DVLA will issue you with a number plate appropriate to when it was first registered - i.e., 2001.

Mel E

====

The vehicle is a 2001 model - do we need a certificate of conformity as we have an EC type approval number?

No. With modern vans like yours you should not need the CoC although the V55 asks for emission data which is found on the CoC. I had a CoC and filled out the fields, but I'm not sure if it was strictly necessary.

Re weight. If your Max Authorised Mass is less than 3,500kg you should register as Private Light Goods. Form V355/1 from DVLA has all the info

Rich

Assuming yours is Fiat Ducato based, for a replacement speedometer dial, follow this link.  A lot cheaper than a new speedo, the mileage (kilometrage?) remains unaltered, and there are no match/compatibility issues (apparently there are several versions of Fiat mph speedometers).

http://tinyurl.com/2x32oj

We used Lockswood International for ours, and the quality and legibility were at least as good as the Fiat original. 

Fitting is a fiddle, but no worse than that, and easily possible with care.  You just take the face off the instrument binnacle for which, if I remember correctly, one screw, and gently work your way in.  It is a fully electronic instrument cluster, so no speedo cable to wrestle with.  The only thing that isn't immediately obvious, is that all four of the dial needles have rather "fat", I think red, centres covering the spindle mounts.  These snap off to free space for the old dial face to be slipped carefully over the actual needles.  Best to align the needles vertically for this.  You then have to slip the new dial face down over the needles, and remember to snap the centres back on before you put it all back together.  Durrrr!  It's no worse than getting a vest onto a four armed toddler!

I once discussed UK-registration form-filling with my motorhome dealer pal and he gave me two pieces of advice.

The 1st was to fill in the "Taxation Class" box with either "Private/Light Goods" (if the motorhome is no more than 3500kg in weight), or "Private/HGV" (if the motorhome's weight exceeds 3500kg). When I mentioned that the DVLA's guidance instructions say that this box should be left blank, he replied that DVLA Local Offices (some of which register motorhomes only rarely) found this action helpful and it minimised the chance of a motorhome (particularly an over-3500kg one) being assigned to the wrong taxation class.

The 2nd tip was to ensure that "EXEMPT" is put in the "Type Approval" box. I gained the impression that, even if the motorhome were type approved, it was preferable to put EXEMPT in this box rather than the number of the Certificate of Conformity (as DVLA guidance advises). In principle, as all 'motor caravans' continue to be exempt from type approval as far as UK-registration is concerned, there's a strong temptation to put EXEMPT in the Type Approval box, hang on to the C-of-C and leave all the other C-of-C-related boxes on the form empty. Doing this should, once again, reduce the chance of inappropriate taxation class assignment.

It's also worth taking copies of all the relevant forms for possible future reference before you hand them over to the DVLA.

Thanks for the advice Derek.

I went to DVLA today and apart from being sent the wrong vat self cert form by swansea, everything else was in order! :-D

Have returned correct form this afternoon and am not awaiting UK registration notification - 3 to 5 days according to DVLA! :-D

Hoping to take our first trip in the motorhome next weekend if we are all legal by then! :-)

Thank you to everyone who has helped us with this.

Liz

Slight blip in our plans as we received a letter this morning requesting the motorhome be presented for inspection at our DVLA Local Office next Weds! :-(

Does anyone know if once inspected we will be allotted a number plate there and then or will we then have to wait for paperwork to be processed (?)

Its not an issue, except we can't wait to get out and about in our 'home, and wanted to get away next week!! :D

Guest JudgeMental

as long as van compliant - MPH speedo etc...

they normally issue paper work after an hour or two

Guest JudgeMental

Alan, there has been a lot of stuff on here and other forums regards this. I believe I am right in saying that without MPH speedo you are not complying with UK "construction and use regulations"

and if unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident you are possibly giving the insurance company a perfect excuse not to pay out.

most recent new vans (mine included) have been forced to change speedo before registration given.

saying that, DVLA offices are a lottery and far from consistent - seems to depends on where and when you go...

watsoa - 2007-06-10 8:09 PM

I imported my Hymer (new) from Germany and did not have to change the KPH speedo to MPH. It has now had an MOT and passed okay - still with KPH speedo.

Alan W

Ours passed the MOT with kph speedo - but all the DVLA paperwork says the speedo has to be changed to mph! Which we've now done! *-)

watsoa - 2007-06-10 8:09 PM I imported my Hymer (new) from Germany and did not have to change the KPH speedo to MPH. It has now had an MOT and passed okay - still with KPH speedo. Alan W

Alan

Don't know when you imported yours, but if it was fairly recent, in applying to register it you will have signed a declaration that you have carried all modifications necessary for UK registration.  This includes left dipping headlamps, speedometer reading in mph (visible at night) and rear foglight on centre rear or UK offside. 

It will pass an MoT test without the speedo changed, because the speedo isn't an MoT item.  However, the fact that it has passed an MoT does not make it retrospectively legal for UK registration.  There was a long discussion on this a while back and the legal position is spelled out pretty well chapter and verse.  Try a search using keywords speedometer, headlamps, or registration. 

If you get caught speeding, or are involved in an accident where any deficiencies vis a vis Construction and Use Regs etc are thought to have contributed, you may be at risk of an additional prosecution for having registered a non-compliant vehicle.  Unfortunately, the onus is on you to ensure the vehicle you are driving complies, and not upon them to spot the non-compliances.

Further confirmation, - as if any was needed and a couple of threads that may be of interest:

When DVLA Wimbledon registered my 2nd hand German Hymer, I was called for inspection. The reason for inspection is to ensure it IS a motorcaravan and not part of the big scam currently going on to avoid the Single Vehicle Approval scheme. (Mhomes are exempt)

Because I had just got my MOT I thought I'd get the new registration without a murmer but the inspector told me I would have to change the kph speedo.

I could see another week going by... but the guy allowed the registration to proceed and took my word that I would change the speedo, which I did.

I got a new face for my speedo dial from Deepcar. I think Brian has posted a link further up for another supplier. I fitted mine myself. Not a difficult or long job, but a bit scary prising the speedo needle off the very fine spindle.

The only snag was that my oddometer is still registering kms so I made up a small label in MS word to read Kms and stuck it on deepcar's face to obscure the word "miles"

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7309&posts=3

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7320&posts=23

Hooray - we are now taxed and have UK number plates as of this morning! :-D Devon here we come this weekend!!

As stated above - the guy checked the identity of the vehicle, chassis numbers inside and under the bonnet. Measured length and breadth of vehicle and that was it - didn't check the speedo (even though we have had it converted!). One hour later we were supplied with the paperwork to obtain reg plates and our tax disc! :-D

One word of warning - we assumed, as we had been called for inspection by DVLA that we were legal to drive the motorhome to the local office - this is not so and the guy pointed out to us that it was illegal for us to do so and we should have either arranged for a home visit or used a low loader to get the vehicle to the inspection, alternatively we could have used trade plates. :$ He was fine - just pointed it out and we explained that wasn' t clear from the paperwork we were sent and funnily enough most of the people there for inspections had driven their vehicles there under the same illusion! (lol)

Thanks again for everyones input and help it is appreciated.

No doubt will be asking more questions soon as we now plan to travel to the south of france during August! (lol)

As I understand it, his advice is correct.  Driving an un-registered van is illegal.  If you look in the "little blue book" (the P15), which you should have had with your import pack, you'll find the necessary in the first paragraph of Section 3, on page 16.  It states "the only circumstances in which you can drive the vehicle before completing these formalities are to and from a pre-arranged SVA and / or MoT test and to and from a garage for remedial wort following failure to pass the tests."  But then read the next sentence!

However, this principle, so far as I know, is not included in any legislation.  It has also been "stretched" somewhat to include driving from a port of entry to home, or to similar venues to those quoted above.  It seems it is acknowledged as a "grey area" even by Government, but so far as I know no-one has been prosecuted, or is liable to be prosecuted, provided the vehicle is properly insured, is being driven reasonably and within speed limits, complies with EC regulations, and is only being used as described above.  In your case, you were probably still within the grey area, but it might have been getting a little greyer!  It still seems unlikely you would have been prosecuted by the police, had you been challenged, provided you could explain and show them where you were going and why you were on the road.  However, it's always somehow comforting to know one is within a Government recognised legal "grey area" - that they are uninclined to remedy!

Test everything, and make sure it is all working as it should be before you set off, and enjoy your maiden voyage!  Oh, and check that the main isolating switch on your incoming fuse/mcb board is of RCD type: it may not be.  If it isn't, it would be wise to get one installed before you use the van too many times.

Archived