First time wintering abroad

brian42

Advise wanted for our first time wintering abroad.We intend leaving in October and returning March.We've travelled as far as Barcelona on the east coast and Satander on the west coast for 3/4 weeks but this time we would like some advise on travelling either further down Spain or Italy.We are going to take a smart car on a trailer and wondered if we will have any trouble finding campsites that will take us.We would really appreaciate any information on the best routes and campsites en route and campsites suitable for long stays.I know there is plenty of information in c/c europe/acsi/camping cheque books but there is nothing like personal recommendations.I'm sure lots of you travel this way often and i look forward to your replies.

Hi Brian,

We spent 3 months in Spain this year (Jan-Mar). We've also been to Spain many times but this was the longest duration. Didn't book as we assumed there would be plenty of room - although we knew that "overwintering" was becoming more popular. Wrong move - it's extremely popular with all sites almost chocker!! That said we did find a site fairly easily although all the sunny pitches were long gone.

Stayed in Cabopino, about 12ks East of Marbella (www.campingcabopino.com) and 40ks West of Malaga. Good base for touring Costa del Sol and Gibralter.

When planning a route I try to keep at around 400ks per day (I know this will not seem much to many, but it suits our way of travelling). First leg was home (In the Vendee, France) to just this side of Spanish border below Biarritz (440 ks). 2nd leg took us via Burgos to La Calbrera, 419ks. 3rd leg round Madrid to Santa Elena 378ks) then final leg to Cabopino (445ks).

Obviously your first leg(s) this side of the water will be from one of the French ports down the West of France to pick up our route.

If you decide the route might be a goer, let me know and I can post or email exact names of stopover locations.

Having said all that, we weren't impressed with the Costa del Sol. Sure it was warm and fairly cheap (campsite, food, drink) but the whole place is just wall to wall concrete. We're planning to spend a couple of weeks there next Winter before moving on to Morocco for a couple of months.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jack

Hi, Derek

While I certainly am not disputing your suggestion, It does seem that nearly everyone that I know who actually live in Spain seem to provide me with the same information about the area they live in, Is there a web site where this information is held and is it easy to interpret ?

Thanks

derek500 - 2007-06-09 12:27 PM

I would recommend Costa Azahar/Costa Blanca in the winter. Historically better climate than Costa del Sol, less travelling as well.

enodreven - 2007-06-10 6:46 PM

Hi, Derek

While I certainly am not disputing your suggestion, It does seem that nearly everyone that I know who actually live in Spain seem to provide me with the same information about the area they live in, Is there a web site where this information is held and is it easy to interpret ?

Thanks

derek500 - 2007-06-09 12:27 PM

I would recommend Costa Azahar/Costa Blanca in the winter. Historically better climate than Costa del Sol, less travelling as well.

Here's a link or three, Malaga, Alicante and Castellón (very popular area for Northern Europeans - Benicassim, Peñiscola, Vinarós etc.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=28480&refer=

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weatherall.php3?s=6380&refer=&units=us

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=68280&refer=

Main index here http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/city.php3?c=ES&refer=

Hi, Derek

Thanks for the links, from what I can see at the moment the area around Almeria appears to be one of the warmest and dryest between October and March, is this part of the Costa's you were suggesting ? as for Algeciras and Malaga they certainly don't rate that high for the same period, Where are the 2 areas you were suggesting ?

enodreven - 2007-06-10 9:21 PM

Hi, Derek

Thanks for the links, from what I can see at the moment the area around Almeria appears to be one of the warmest and dryest between October and March, is this part of the Costa's you were suggesting ? as for Algeciras and Malaga they certainly don't rate that high for the same period, Where are the 2 areas you were suggesting ?

Costa Blanca from Denia down to Torrevieja. Costa del Azahar from Gandia north to the Vinarós.

I remember reading an article in the Sunday Telegraph magazine last year concerning weather forecasting and historical weather sites. It seems that almost all of them rely on information provided by the particular areas themselves. If I wanted to bring tourists to my area I might be tempted to add on the odd degree or two - or is my cynical side showing...!!?? I can say for definite that during Jan-Feb this year when we were down near Malaga, the temperature there was never more than a couple of degrees plus/minus compared with Almeria.

Hi,

The site that I have looked at did suggest more or less exactly what you are saying the only real difference was the amount of Precipitation/Rain it showed the area between Malaga and Algeciras as having a very substantial amount (3 to 4 times) more rain than Almeria. If i have interpreted the figures correctly

Jacko - 2007-06-10 9:23 PM

I remember reading an article in the Sunday Telegraph magazine last year concerning weather forecasting and historical weather sites. It seems that almost all of them rely on information provided by the particular areas themselves. If I wanted to bring tourists to my area I might be tempted to add on the odd degree or two - or is my cynical side showing...!!?? I can say for definite that during Jan-Feb this year when we were down near Malaga, the temperature there was never more than a couple of degrees plus/minus compared with Almeria.

Archived