12 volt power points

Don Madge

Her who must be obeyed has informed me that in the future she will be taking her laptop on our travels.

When I pointed out we have only one 12 volt socket in the Timberland she said tough, you'd better find yourself another socket or you won't be able to run your laptop.

As we have a 50/50 marriage "She gives the orders and I carry the out" I started looking for another source of 12 volt power.

After chatting to a few people I've decided to have the 180 watt current socket in the cab connected to the leisure batteries.

The Fiat handbook states:- do not use the socket for accessories with power over 180 watts (max intake 15 A) as the laptop is only 120 watts it should all work out OK.

It should be done at the Lincoln Show if Dave Newell remembered to put it in his diary.

I hope others might find the idea useful especially in a panel van conversion.

I would welcome any comments please.

Don

Since "Hannibal" is both ancient and home-converted (not by me!), when I needed another socket I had no qualms about drilling a hole in a convenient cupboard near a 12v supply, and fitting a cig lighter from the local car spares shop. Works fine for charging mobiles or running other 12v bits'n'pieces, but I'd be far more hesitant about doing it myself on a newer van!

Tony

Tony Jones - 2007-06-06 11:58 AM

Since "Hannibal" is both ancient and home-converted (not by me!), when I needed another socket I had no qualms about drilling a hole in a convenient cupboard near a 12v supply, and fitting a cig lighter from the local car spares shop. Works fine for charging mobiles or running other 12v bits'n'pieces, but I'd be far more hesitant about doing it myself on a newer van!

Tony

Tony,

I trust Dave Newell to drill holes in my van as long as I'm not watching.

Don

Guest peter
JudgeMental - 2007-06-06 12:39 PM

you can buy 2 way splitters for 12v sockets - surely the easiest solution...

Maybe, Judge, but you're still restricted to the 180 Watts limit, but now you only have 90 Watts per line. Not enough to run 2 Laptops.

Archived