Warranty cover abroad

Col

I am getting a new Ford motorhome soon (I hope). It comes with a base vehicle 3 year warranty. What I don't know is if the warranty applies in Ireland, France, Italy etc. Can anyone fill me in please. Thanks,

Col

Hi, Col

Welcome to the site, While i think that your warranty would be pan European, it may still be worth taking out additional breakdown cover as while i am not sure of the full extent of your warranty you may find that it would not cover things like a puncture or running out of fuel etc ? so some additional cover may be necessary ? people like Safeguard include breakdown cover with the insurance ? by the way I don't work for them I just thought I would mention it

Hope that helps

Although the Ford warranty on the base-vehicle is pan-European I think you'll find that any 'add-ons' (like breakdown/recovery cover) will be restricted to the national boundaries of the country in which the vehicle is sold.

If you trot along to your friendly Ford dealership you should find that, for a small fee, you can obtain copies of the Transit owners' manual, service schedule, warranty booklets, etc.

As I bought my Transit-based Hobby from Germany all the relevant documentation was (unsurprisingly) in German. Before collecting the vehicle I had obtained English-language Transit manuals and it'a a good job I did as I'd never have understood how some of the dashboard functions worked otherwise. It was also noticeable how different the Ford Transit 'support package' for Germany was compared to that provided for the UK. Whether it was better or worse I've no idea as my German is minimal, but it was definitely quite different.

Derek you have raised an important point there about breakdown cover and national boundaries. What if I break down in the back of beyond in Ireland. Is it my responsibility to get the van to a Ford dealer of will Ford pay for recovery to a garage as well as repair? Can you extend the recovery for a small fee or do you have to buy a complete package? Probably I will take my chances since it will be a new van!

Col:

I hesitate to say this, but your last sentence strikes me as a mite naive as brand-new vehicles and teething troubles go naturally together.

Why don't you just do as I've suggested? Go to a Ford main dealer and ask to see the warranty documentation relating to the current Transit. Why choose guesswork when you can easily ascertain the facts?

If you feel that the Ford breakdown/recovery element (assuming there is one) is unlikely to be adequate for your requirements, then either ensure that your motorhome insurance policy includes breakdown/recovery cover for the countries you plan to visit or purchase a stand-alone breakdown/recovery policy. For example:

http://www.shieldtotalinsurance.co.uk/breakdown_insurance.aspx

(Sometimes when I read stuff on motorhome forums I seriously wonder whether motorcaravanners make life difficult for themselves deliberately just for the fun of it!)

Colum

You said you hadn't yet got the van.  In that case, why not wait until you can see the actual documents to find out what the warranty/breakdown cover really is?  Ideally, try to get to your dealer before you take delivery, have a look at the documents, and then arrange insurance accordingly to suit your preference.

Derek is right, most things go wrong when new.  After the van has been started and driven a few times, the chances of sudden failure recede.

If you really want peace of mind, take out an insurance with someone like Comfort Insurance, who provide policies from Norwich Union, aimed specifically at motorhomers, with an option to add what virtually amounts to full RAC European cover for far less than the usual premium.  Taken together, the vehicle insurance and recovery package is very competetive with the cost of both purchased separately, and it is all included in one clear, combined, document.  You can also decide how long you want to stay out of the UK, even up to 365 days, with the premium simply being adjusted accordingly.

Point taken, but I must be one of the lucky ones. I have had a Rover, two Ford cars and recently a Volkswagen van from new and none of them let me down.

Regarding insurance that looks interesting. I have been paying Caravan and Camping Club around £450. Did a web application with Comfort and it came back close to £800. I do have 6 points but have had them for over 2 years!

Col - 2007-06-10 10:53 PM Point taken, but I must be one of the lucky ones. I have had a Rover, two Ford cars and recently a Volkswagen van from new and none of them let me down. Regarding insurance that looks interesting. I have been paying Caravan and Camping Club around £450. Did a web application with Comfort and it came back close to £800. I do have 6 points but have had them for over 2 years!

Colum

It'll depend where you live, of course; but ours, for Sussex, on a 12 month old, lhd, personal import van (i.e. first renewal), in March 2006, was £370, including the Europe wide breakdown cover.  Yours wasn't made by Rolls Royce, by any chance, was it? 

I'd suggest you ring them for a quote, rather than getting a web quote, when the "small print" is easier to sort out.

Yes Brian, where you live does make quite a difference - Liverpool - and we all know what that means to some insurers. I presume insurers do work on statistics but I have not had a break-in or attempted one for sixteen years. But I do have to admit I had a car broken into 3 times in 12 months before that (in the days when radios were considered worth stealing). While I am on about break-ins I am getting a transit which offers better protection (I think) than a coach built does anyone recommend any further protection?

Col

Archived