Motor Home cover

spartan3956

We have and I would totally recomend Protec tel no 01274 780088, not the cheapest but superior quality and three year warranty that works well. Friends had a tear caused by a sharp object, not a fault of the cover, nearly three years from purchase Protec had it picked up, repaired and returned free from charge in less than a week.

Bas

Hi Pete- Cannot reccomend one, and on reflection there was a post on here a while back where someone had used a Fiamma roof cover which had moved about on top by wind movement and had taken off the gloss of the paintwork, which required a good polishing to bring it back to its original finish. My only suggestion is to give the roof a good polish and then it should be easier to remove the tree residue. No chance I suppose of finding another spot to park it ? chas

Hi Pete,

Had our Protec for nearly three years now and it is on the van at all times when not in use and there has been no problems at all in fact the lining is of such a soft fluffy material it cannot and is guaranteed not to scratch (even Bailey caravans and others have endorsed them). The problem with the Fiamma and other cheaper versions is that the materials used are simply inferior and can scuff, the Protec doesn't.

I have used covers on vehicles for many years (classic) and have not been happy with them alone however I am in the process of having one made for the car by Protec because the motorhome one is so good and effective.

Bas

Pete- whatever cover you may go for, parking under trees that drop sticky sap will cause the cover to become, sticky and a real mess to handle when you have to keep hauling it on and off, it would appear you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Find another spot to park or invest in a pressure washer and tressles. chas

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the tree a sycamore is right over the spot I park my vehicle at home.

Ive jet washed and polished the roof but the sap continually drops and dirt just glues itself to the roof and bonnet.

The cover will just have to take the mess im afraid ive had enough it looks like a protec cover they have a 5% discount off them this month but it will still cost £465.

Ive thought of chopping the tree down but i dont think my neighbour would be too pleased its in his garden.

Peter

Guest peter

You might find that you don't use the van as much once it's covered, owing to the hassle of removing it. That's what we found with our caravan.

Less spontenaity.

Hi Pete- Unfortunatly if the " breathable" cover gets its pores blocked with the sap, it will no longer allow moisture to escape and the roof will suffer from condensation which could cause further problems. If you decide that this is still your only alternative, then a suitable sized tarp for the roof will do the same job at a fraction of the cost, and also be a lot quicker to put on and take off. chas

Is there no means of arranging a lean to type protector, like a car port but bigger ? Some plastic roofing sheets supported on a lightweight frame, even using the sycamore for support, so as to give the van coverage, will keep most of the muck from the roof.

It also allows air circulation and nothing to abrade the finish.

If the tree is your nieghbours,but overhanging your property you can cut it back as far as the boundry as it is intruding onto your space buy a good pair of loppers and a good pair of steps a lot cheaper than a cover and a lot less hastle.

peter - 2007-06-07 11:12 PM

You might find that you don't use the van as much once it's covered, owing to the hassle of removing it. That's what we found with our caravan.

Less spontenaity.

We don't find this a problem at all, it takes maximum of five minutes to remove and about the same to fold and return to its carrying bag, but to be fair we have had years of experience handling very large full awnings on 23 foot caravans so this is a dodle by conparison. The only time there is a problem for us is if it is still wet from rain or frost as we don't have anywhere to lay it out to dry so it normally ends up in the bath until we return!

It takes around ten to fifteen minutes to replace when we return home though I always wash the road dirt off with a pressure washer first then put the cover on whether the van is dry or not and had no problems at all any remaining moisture just breathes away.

Either way it is far less hassle than having to thoroughly clean and polish before or after each trip, it's great to be able to just uncover and it is as clean as the day you covered it.

Bas

chas - 2007-06-08 5:46 AM

Hi Pete- Unfortunatly if the " breathable" cover gets its pores blocked with the sap, it will no longer allow moisture to escape and the roof will suffer from condensation which could cause further problems. If you decide that this is still your only alternative, then a suitable sized tarp for the roof will do the same job at a fraction of the cost, and also be a lot quicker to put on and take off. chas

There would have to be bucket loads of sap to block up sufficient holes to stop the cover from breathing there are thousands of them, even if the roof were to be completely covered which is highly unlikely IMO the front, back and sides would still allow the air to circulate, so that is an unfounded problem in my view.

Bas

Archived