Ardeche and Dordogne

Vicky

We are heading for the Ardeche in August and are looking for a site by the river for a few days with access to a town or village. We are looking for a nice but relatively quite site without too many organised activities, but with a pool for the children. (we want to avoid your Haven / Keycamp type site)

Any ideas in regards sites in the Dordogne would be appreciated to.

Thanks

Vicky :-D

I suggest you get yourselves a copy of the Caravan Club's Caravan Europe 1, which will give details of a number of sites in the area.  This does France, Spain and Portugal.  It is one of, if not the, best sites guides available in UK and there aren't many sites that are missed out (usually only those that are failing).

The entries are provided by users/members and not by "inspectors", and tend to "tell it like it is", rather than fighting shy of criticism for fear of offending and losing revenue.  The guide is available direct from the Caravan Club by post, and in some bookshops, to members and non-members alike.  Detailed directions to the sites are also given, with sensible warnings about especially difficult approaches.  Motorhome facilities are also stated, and have identifiers in the margins.

Then you can see what others have thought of the sites in terms of pitches, facilities, maintenance, cleanliness, noise, smells, proximity of shops etc, draw your own conclusions and choose according to your preferences.

Hi, Vicky

There is a really nice site at Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne right on the banks of the Dordogne and a 2 min walk into the main town, I will try and find the name for you if you are interested albeit I think there are 2 other sites in the same town so I would think you would be able to get into one of them, Its a realy nice town and when we were there in May they had a Strawberry festival where they make a 30ft diameter Strawberry Tart and the whole town joins in the festival we had a realy good time

Its in the ACSI campingcard book at 14 euro

Guest caraprof
Vicky - 2007-06-08 12:08 PM We are heading for the Ardeche in August and are looking for a site by the river for a few days with access to a town or village. We are looking for a nice but relatively quite site without too many organised activities, but with a pool for the children. (we want to avoid your Haven / Keycamp type site) Any ideas in regards sites in the Dordogne would be appreciated to. Thanks Vicky :-D

Try this site in the Dordogne. It's absolutely delightful. It has a pool, a small bar and that's about it. It's a few hundred metres from Castelnaud la Chapelle, which is in the heart of the Dordogne and it's on a small river which flows into the Dordogne at Castelnaud.

There's a super swimming hole on the river, deep and clean but its nicest feature is its location in between limestone cliffs on either side of the wide river valley.

I've been going on and off for thirty years and am never disappointed. Domme, Beynac, Sarlat etc. are all very close in this, the very best part of the Dordogne.

It's in the CC Europe book under Sarlat la Caneda.

http://www.campingmaisonneuve.com/

Vicky,

As stated it will be busy in the Dordogne in August, so maybe worth considering using the aires rather than sites as no worries re booking and if you don't like one just move to next. Yes the aires too will be busy but arrive early afternoon and you should get a place. A couple you might like to try are La Roque-Gageac and St-Cyprien. La Roque aire is at edge of this beautiful village next the river, with easy access to river trips, canoe hire etc. Charge (in season) is €7 for 24hrs. St-Cyprien aire, one of our favourites, is at the base of the village with a nice view of the church and surrounding buildings. Cost here is €5 but this time 16A hook-up is included. The town trail, availble free from tourist office, is worth following.

robert and jean

Guest caraprof
Do people actually read the original posts? The request was for a site with a swimming pool for their children. What good is a bl**dy aire for Pete's sake!

Hi, Vicky

Hear is a web link to the one we stayed at and it was really nice

http://www.camping-des-iles.net/

Hope that helps

enodreven - 2007-06-08 5:17 PM

Hi, Vicky

There is a really nice site at Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne right on the banks of the Dordogne and a 2 min walk into the main town, I will try and find the name for you if you are interested albeit I think there are 2 other sites in the same town so I would think you would be able to get into one of them, Its a realy nice town and when we were there in May they had a Strawberry festival where they make a 30ft diameter Strawberry Tart and the whole town joins in the festival we had a realy good time

Its in the ACSI campingcard book at 14 euro

caraprof - 2007-06-09 10:40 AM Do people actually read the original posts? The request was for a site with a swimming pool for their children. What good is a bl**dy aire for Pete's sake!

No, and most don't read the bleedin' replies either, so tend to endlessly repeat information already given - but hey, that's life!  Don't attack them, they all mean well!  

If you arrive at a site without a booking, and as usual for August find it's full, that aire may well come in useful!  Anyhow, someone else may like it instead.  It's all information, and some of it is even useful!  :-)

caraprof - 2007-06-09 10:40 AM

Do people actually read the original posts? The request was for a site with a swimming pool for their children. What good is a bl**dy aire for Pete's sake!

An aire where you can find a place is I would suggest better than a camp site with no places. I therefore suggested these two aires mainly as back-up. I must assume however, that you have not visited the two I suggested as clearly thet do not have pools but one gives easy river access, the other an interresting town trail both of which I know my two children would have enjoyed, and assume others will also. And yes I did read the original post and hope to have been of some help.

If anyone needs more info on aires in this or most other regions of France please ask and will do best to help.

Robert and Jean

Guest caraprof
robertandjean - 2007-06-09 12:52 PM
caraprof - 2007-06-09 10:40 AM Do people actually read the original posts? The request was for a site with a swimming pool for their children. What good is a bl**dy aire for Pete's sake!
An aire where you can find a place is I would suggest better than a camp site with no places. I therefore suggested these two aires mainly as back-up. I must assume however, that you have not visited the two I suggested as clearly thet do not have pools but one gives easy river access, the other an interresting town trail both of which I know my two children would have enjoyed, and assume others will also. And yes I did read the original post and hope to have been of some help. If anyone needs more info on aires in this or most other regions of France please ask and will do best to help. Robert and Jean

Mmmm, why don't I believe you? Could it be because you recommended that she use aires instead of sites and said nothing whatsoever about simply using them as a backup??

People with children who go on holiday in August usually have the sense to book and I think that this is what Vicky probably has in mind. She stated quite clearly that she wants a nice, less commercial type of site with a swimming pool suitable for her children. I really don't think that the aires, which I do know quite well by the way, (I was in La Roque last year for about the tenth time) are suitable at all.

When you have children you don't want a motorhome six feet on either side of you and as for asking them to swim in the Dordogne at this point, fine if you're happy to risk them drowning!

I'm sorry to go on but what really winds me up about a lot of our contributors is their failure to answer the question. Ask about a satellite TV system and some idiot will bang on about how you should be reading a  book and not watching the tele!

Ask about a speed camera detector and the holy ones will give you a lecture about the evils of speeding!

If I want to know about the efficacy of a certain satellite dish I'm not interested in whether someone prefers reading a book! I couldn't care less about him and his prejudices, all I want is for people to tell me what I want to know!

Rant over!

caraprof - 2007-06-09 5:55 PM
robertandjean - 2007-06-09 12:52 PM
An aire where you can find a place is I would suggest better than a camp site with no places. I therefore suggested these two aires mainly as back-up. I must assume however, that you have not visited the two I suggested as clearly thet do not have pools but one gives easy river access, the other an interresting town trail both of which I know my two children would have enjoyed, and assume others will also. And yes I did read the original post and hope to have been of some help. If anyone needs more info on aires in this or most other regions of France please ask and will do best to help. Robert and Jean

Mmmm, why don't I believe you? Could it be because you recommended that she use aires instead of sites and said nothing whatsoever about simply using them as a backup??

People with children who go on holiday in August usually have the sense to book and I think that this is what Vicky probably has in mind. She stated quite clearly that she wants a nice, less commercial type of site with a swimming pool suitable for her children. I really don't think that the aires, which I do know quite well by the way, (I was in La Roque last year for about the tenth time) are suitable at all.

When you have children you don't want a motorhome six feet on either side of you and as for asking them to swim in the Dordogne at this point, fine if you're happy to risk them drowning!

I'm sorry to go on but what really winds me up about a lot of our contributors is their failure to answer the question. Ask about a satellite TV system and some idiot will bang on about how you should be reading a  book and not watching the tele!

Ask about a speed camera detector and the holy ones will give you a lecture about the evils of speeding!

If I want to know about the efficacy of a certain satellite dish I'm not interested in whether someone prefers reading a book! I couldn't care less about him and his prejudices, all I want is for people to tell me what I want to know!

Rant over!

Sorry we seem to have upset you so much, we gave the info in good faith and it is up to you if you choose to believe us or not. In no way were we suggesting unsupervised swimming in the Dordogne, but rather La Roque might be a good base for taking part in organised water born activity such as hire of a canoe. Glad to read you also make use of the French aires de service network perhaps, in another thread you could share a couple of your favourites with us all. In our view that is what a forum like this should be all about; sharing experiences and ideas in a friendly and positive way.All the bestJean and Robert

Archived