Waste pipes

hensoa

I am about to get a Bessacarr E600 motorhome. This replaces a Pilote 580 that I lost recently to an engine fire. I regularly stop on a CL site where it is not possible to drive over the waste emptying point. On the pilote the waste was a standard 1/2 inch hose connection so it was easy to connect a length of standard garden hose. On the Bessacarr the waste is considerably larger and not easy to connect to. I wondered what the others do where they cannot drop their waste directly into a drain.

Hi Al- you need to get in touch with C.A.K. of Kenilworth they will have a connector to fix to the waste tank and some flexible piping which you could route to the outside skirt of the van with a tap on the end. chas

Hi...we rarely use the waste tank under the motorhome to collect the waste water, instead normally allow it to drain out immediately into a portable waste container. This incoporates plastic wheels, and we can then either cary or simply wheel the full container to the waste disposal point.

It has the advantage of keeping the on-board tank cleaner and free of those odious smells (worse on some motorhome tank configurations than otehre, admittedely), and means you can empty the waste away regularlay without having to move the vehicle.

Alternatively, emptying the waste water tank conecnets into a bucket has the same effect!

Guest peter
hensoa - 2007-06-08 12:55 PM

I wondered what the others do where they cannot drop their waste directly into a drain.

Drive off site and open the tap over a roadside drain.

Unfortunatly this practice can give motorcaravanners a bad image when seen by members of the public, as they assume you are getting rid of the toilet contents ! Also a good proportion of road side drains are not set up to accomodate waste residue (food particles) and soapy chemicals. Sorry but IMO it is bad practice when correct ways of disposing are easily available. chas

o midKnight - 2007-06-09 11:44 AM Some drains may run straight into rivers.

None should, but many do: detergent residues are very damaging to small watercourses and the wildlife in them.  If done at all, this should only be resorted to when absolutely sure the gulley connects to a main drain and in turn to a treatment plant.

Hello Peter,

The only addition to my waste water tank is a bio friendly washing up liquid from the local supermarket. I open the tap slightly and let it dribble out onto the road as I travel. It has probably evaporated before it gets washed into a drain. Black waste is a totally different matter and I follow the rules.

Best Regards, Mike

PS. I know that this way of ridding the vehicle of grey water is advocated by many dealers.

I think you will find it is illegal to dump any water / liquid on the highway. Three motor homes ago I was emptying my fresh water tank down a drain as that particular 'van was petrol and did not perform too well with a full water tank. A car pulled up along side and asked me if I knew I was losing water. Yes I said, I am lightening my 'van draining off fresh water. That is illegal he said, so please turn it off. So I did as 'HE'was a policeman. A nice policeman this time.

Sax so it was you

There I was having a nice little ride out on my classic motorcycle while wearing a open face helmet. I was following a camper for many miles and thought what I tasted was the remains of my early morning wash. Besides washing up contains salt and you are spraying salt all over your tail end and other road users too.

sax - 2007-06-10 12:28 AM Hello Peter, The only addition to my waste water tank is a bio friendly washing up liquid from the local supermarket. I open the tap slightly and let it dribble out onto the road as I travel. It has probably evaporated before it gets washed into a drain. Black waste is a totally different matter and I follow the rules. Best Regards, Mike PS. I know that this way of ridding the vehicle of grey water is advocated by many dealers.

C'mon folks, this has to be a wind up, doesn't it?  Surely no one is going to openly advertise they indulge in the kind of behaviour that gets us all a bad name, are they?  On advice from a dealer, as well?  Ho, ho, Sax.  Very good!

Our motorhome has a wide (1.5 inches) gate valve opening for the grey water. When I can not drive over a wastepoint I use and old Hoover Junior vacuum hand-extension pipe: it "concertinas" in and back to stretch to nearly six feet and is the same diameter. I glued the corresponding bayonet-type fitting to the waste tank outlet so the pipe is now a push-and-twist fitting.

Some drains may run straight into rivers.

Most, if not all, highway drains discharge to water courses.

Rgds

PS I carry a 20 litre portable Black tank ( caravan suppliers) which I can discharge to, and then manhandle to an appropriate drain, loo or emptying point.

Hello Everyone,

At least I stirred a few people up. Was a bit of a wind up but I promise that I was once told by dealer (NOT my local one) that it was general practice to send out all new and used wagons with the waste pipes slightly open to allow slow discharge. I wondered what the reaction would be. Sorry, and as for the classic motorcycle enthusiast, it couldn't have been me!

Happy travelling all,

Regards, Mike

Archived