Fiat cab door problem

StAubyns

We are off to Scotland tommorrow for 2 weeks, and with an early start planned, we went to Tesco this morning for food and diesel.

The wife got in the passenger door, shut it as normal, and off we set. The first right hand corner we went round, the passenger door opened fully, the catch had somehow failed.

I pulled into the side of the road and the jaws of the lock were open, and it took a good 5 minutes of playing with the mechanism to get it to hold the door shut. Not taking any chances, we have also engaged the HeoSafe on that side.

So we are down to one door, dare not risk opening it in case I cant shut it again.

Anyone any ideas?

Geoff

Would a good liberal spraying of W.D.40 inside and out get it to work sweetly. It may be just lack of greasing, I do my locks and catches every year, it used to be done at garages as routine when in for service but they dont seem to bother now ..chas

Guest peter
Dave Newell - 2007-06-08 4:48 PM

It would be terrible for that door to open while you're travelling and your wife get injured.

D.

I don't know dave............some blokes might think that's no bad thing.

duck.gif.a7c043e8d1e404ec12a90c4c3ad7fcae.gif

I don't think you can lock the door unless it is full engaged in the latched position - so as a precaution check you can push down the locking button.

I think all that has happened is the mechanism for latching and holding he locking catch has probably siezed up a bit with dirt or corrosion. These locks when latched closed should not open accidently as they are designed not to burst open in case of an accident and they hold the door shut so it adds strength to the cab area.

For total piece of mind I would have a new lock fitted, unless the fitter can be 100% certain it will not happen again and can explain what was wrong.

Archived