Disklok security (after the event)

chas

Does anyone use a Disklok and how secure do you think they are? Also if the locking mechanism was badly damaged in an attempt to release it HOW do you get it back off if the key will not work....chas

chas - 2007-06-09 7:13 AM

Does anyone use a Disklok and how secure do you think they are? Also if the locking mechanism was badly damaged in an attempt to release it HOW do you get it back off if the key will not work....chas

Hi Chas

I have a disc lock and use it regularly as I believe them to be very secure but as far as the rest of your questions go I haven't got a clue and now you have got me thinking

I also use a disklok (the round yellow steel case totally enclosing the steering wheel - for the sake of the previous poster). I believe they are one of the most thief deterrant devices you can fit. I think it may be an engineers job to get it off if the lock had been damaged beyond use - but that's the point isn't it? The thieving fraternity know that it is not an easy job and hopefully do not attempt it. Perhaps I am naive ... who knows! David

Hi David- This was the reason for my post to establish how well engineered they are. Although my van is alarmed to Thacham 1 standard I still believe they can be bepassed by prof theives. On reading about a couple who had their van driven away in France including their dogs inside! I was thinking of getting a Disklok. On reading the advertising blurp a ex thief gave up after trying to drill through the lock mechanism, and that of course my well make it unlockable, therefore undrivable, with a hardened steel casing for someone to try and release. As you say the thief may move on, but he may well not, till he has caused havoc on the key barrel. With the cheaper less secure wheel locks, the steering wheel can easily be cut through to release the device. I suppose when done and said all we would still have our precious motorhome, but left stranded. :'( chas

A disklok was the first thing I bought for my new camper.

The site of that big yellow disc must be a deterrant.

I know that some won't be deterred but if they try they won't get it off and I should imagine that most won't even bother.

I would rather have the hassle of trying to remove a damaged disklok than the hassle of hunting around for a replacement camper and the bits and bobs that we all keep in them.

I got mine on-line from saunders or saunderson security. Very fast delivery.

Archived