French overnight stops.

Brian Kirby

I posted a while back with information about French sites that welcome motorhomes (Camping-cars).

The FFCC (Fédération française de camping et de caravaning), has come up with a formula designed to improve the welcome, and facilities, for motorhomers at campsites.  This formula, called “Stop Accueil camping-car” provides, subject to availability, a level, stabilised or hardstanding pitch, for one night only, based on occupation by a couple with a motorhome, on 520 campsites across France.  In short, a sort of super-aire.

The scheme provides for toilet emptying and waste water disposal, plus fresh water fill, within the charge.  (I assume, since you are already on the site, showers and toilets will be freely accessible, but this is not specifically mentioned.)  Electrical hook up at the normal per night rate where available/required.  Additional passengers are €1 each, children under 7 are free.  Arrivals generally to be between 18:00 and 22:00, with departure before 10:00 the next day.  If you want to extend your stay, subsequent days will be charged at the normal pitch tariff for the season.  Charges depend on the locally allocated star rating of the site.  For one and two star sites it is €8 max; for three star sites, €10 max; and for four star sites, €13 max.  Any local Taxe de Séjour may be charged extra.

Details of the contributing sites are included in a PDF document downloaded from the FFCC site.

I have now transferred the locations of these sites to Autoroute 2002.  I have divided them into two groups, those that are open for the “season”, roughly speaking March to October, and those with extended seasons ranging up to “permanent”.  The majority are private sites, so there is quite wide variation in actual opening and closing times within the two groups.  I have deliberately omitted a few sites where the “Motorhome” season is already over, and all those closing earlier than mid-September. 

The locations are approximate; information available does not generally allow pinpoint accuracy.  The sites do exist insofar as the FFCC is concerned, however actual availability of each and every one, on any given day, cannot be guaranteed.  Some are little more than the French equivalent of CLs and CSs, being Aires Naturelle and Campings Rural, others are quite large commercial establishments.  Quite a number will accept motorhomes on this scheme throughout their season, however most, generally those in the more popular locations, exclude all or some of July/August. 

Many are in locations I doubt you’d ever find otherwise, some look as though they may be in quite spectacular spots.  Many are rural, so it would be wisest to arrive stocked with all necessary booze and food!

If anyone would like a copy of the Autoroute file, and/or of the FFCC PDF, let me have a pm with your e-mail address, and I’ll send it/them.  Please note it should be OK with Autoroute 2002 and later, but will be no good for earlier versions.  Forumers using AOL may need to adjust their anti-spam and virus filters to be able to receive the files; I gather it is a bit “picky”.

Archived