Swift KONTIKI 2.8 Ducato Windscreen

maggyd

Hi -

whilst you don't state the year of your Fiat Kontiki, I guess the prinicpal is the same for all of them.

We had a crack appear in the windrcreen of our Rapido (2002) when a stone hit it near Newark last year. We were on our way to Lincoln, and by the time we reached the site the crack was about 4in long and 4 in high. I called Autoglass, and arranged to get it replaced the next working day. They asked for the full details of the exisiting one, and whether or not it was the one which had the 'dots' around the edge (which it was). They also questioned if it was tinted etc.

The replacement was exactly the same, and I suggest that you ensure this happens when you have yours done - I seem to remember there was also a number etched in the glass.

I would also recommend that if possible you have this done at the workshop, and not let them do it on a site or at home. We had tremendous problems when this happened a few years back to our Symbol, when -again Autoglass, but a different outlet - offered to come to do the job on our driveway. The job was done poorly, lots of mastic left uncleaned, the windcreen was not in fact identical, in that it didn't have the black dots around it, we also found when driving along there was a wind noise which wasn't noticeable previously, so we assume it wasn't sealed in properly. In the end we called them and told them to do it again, and took it to the local workshop - where they had to take it out and start again.

Do ensure they fit the exact replacement though, and don't accept anything other, even if they say they haven't got one. They can get it down very quickly, and I would recommend checking very thoroughly on how well it is done before you leave their premises.

Thanks very much Keith for your reply and advise, Auto Glass are coming out to-morrow to fit windscreen on our 2003 Kon-tiki, we visited their premises to-day to make sure they were fitting the right windscreen ! it has the black dot visor and the fittings for the internal mirror although it isnt the Fiat it is supposed to be as good as, but if were not satisfied we will not except it.

We will also give it a good going over before we hand any money over.

Well I can report that the job has been done and it looks as if they have done a good job, not a spot of mastic on windscreen it was cleaned and polished. We were advised not to use it for a couple of days to allow it to set. so it begs he question, if we had taken it and drove it back! it wouldnt have done it any good would it?

Archived