Can I change my gearbox?

J9withdogs

It probably is possible but likely to be financially not worth while. First off you don't want to be playing with a second hand auto box of unknown quality so you either need a new one or a recon, either is likely to cost into four figures. Then you'll need to replace the flywheel and clutch assembly with a flex plate and torque converter, figure another several hundred pounds. Then there's the labour, figure at least a couple of days, that's sixteen hours at upwards of £40 per hour depending who you employ to do the work. All of this assumes that VW made an auto variant of the T4 (I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure they did) and that they didn't do something really awkward like using a different crankshaft for the slush box.

If you really want a slusher, go out and buy one, I wouldn't advocate converting one from manual.

D.

Janine

As Spock would say, "this is not logical"!  Sentimental attachment to bits of machinery is liable to cost you a small fortune, followed by a large one!  I don't know what Dave would think, but if you could get a complete engine/automatic transmision set from a T4 of the same generation etc, with some certainty as to its credentials, actual miles covered, service history etc etc, have it professionally overhauled, and then just swap the lot, it might be a better bet.  However, I think it is rather a faint chance.

Overall, I think you'll get far better value by trading your in for a automatic, assuming you can find one.  However, you only have to change gear with your left hand.  Surely the gear change isn't that heavy? 

If the shoulder is so weakened you can't change gear, are you sure you can actually drive safely?  What you say seems to imply almost doing everything one handed.  Is the damage permanent, or will it heal?  I pulled some ligaments in my left shoulder in 2005 and had a "golden shot" steroid injection into the joint.  It has taken until this spring for it to fully heal and feel back to normal, but it has worked.  Have you/your doctor tried this?

Thanks Brian!

I have got a 'frozen shoulder', which can take, apparently, up to three years to resolve and there doesn't appear to be much you can do to speedup the healing process.

I love going away in 'Shirley', even locally and just for the weekend (I've just got back from the CC site at Tewkesbury Abbey - absolutely beautiful), but being rather a short-arse, it is a long way to the gear lever even at the best of times!

I am safe to drive, but I don't want Shirley=pain to ruin my little jaunts.

One very big problem with slush boxes is cost, they're expensive to buy and damned expensive to fix. You might, as Brian suggested, find a complete engine and box assembly but even a full service history is no guarantee that something won't go wrong. Personally I would look out for an auto version of the van you like and change to that as its much less hassle and quite possibly cheaper.

D.

Now, this is not medical advice, but try a Google search for rotator cuff, or rotator cuff injury.  You'll get quite a few sites in the States, but some have excellent self-diagnostic questionnaires, anatomical diagrams, etc. 

My doctor started off saying frozen shoulder but, after my web searches I disagreed, partly because I was fairly sure I knew what I had done, and when.  You know how doctors love patients with views on their conditions! 

The long and the short of the next consultation was that he stuck a needle into the joint sac, and said it would be beneficial whichever condition it was.  Point is, my understanding of the problem, from the web, was torn ligaments in the rotator cuff, and not a muscle spasm - which is what by then I'd have understood as a frozen shoulder.  The symptoms are almost identical, so very difficult to separate.

If you have a search, and the diagnoses point to injury to the cuff, a return trip to the doc may speed up the recovery time.  Indeed, if he is making the wrong judgement, some cases of cuff injury apparently never heal, and require surgery.  It tends to be regarded as a sports injury, but can apparently be fixed with bits of carbon fibre!

Thankyou for the info, Brian

I have spent months trawling the internet and have visited an osteopath, physio, acupuncturist and masseuse.

It is a true frozen shoulder, ie I cannot lift the elbow higher than 45 degrees or move my arm far from my body in any direction and it has come on gradually over 9 months.

Have had a bit of a breakthrough last week with the discovery of trigger point massage which has alleviated the pain somewhat, now just got to let accupuncture and massage do the job untying the knots in the muscles. Should only take 12 months or so!

Try Googling trigger point therapy - it can relieve quite a few common painful problems.

Hi I am new to this but you could try fitting a Autoclutch.

It might cheaper than fitting an automatic gearbox, if there is nothing wrong with your manual gearbox then autoclutch would be the best bet, hope this is helpful.

yours Nig

nigelmgpp - 2007-06-11 8:36 PM

Hi I am new to this but you could try fitting a Autoclutch.

It might cheaper than fitting an automatic gearbox, if there is nothing wrong with your manual gearbox then autoclutch would be the best bet, hope this is helpful.

yours Nig

Except that it is the physical movements of shoulder and arm to change gear that cause the problem not pressing the clutch, otherwise it was a good idea.

D.

In edit, sorry Nig, I posted that reply and then read it and it sounds so rude and sarcastic, it really wasn't meant that way mate. ;-)

Archived