burster572-2 v swift 590rs

bigal55

long time caravanners looking for our first m/home, layout we like is one long sofa with a side dinette with travel seats.i like the burstrner wife likes swift/bessacar, style over substance i think, no storage in the swift etc would appreciate any advice and any alternative models

Hi Bigal and welcome to the forum. As I get to take motorhomes (or at least bits of them) apart almost every day I can say that Burstner are generally better put together than Swift/Bessacar/Ace. The equipment used in virtually all motorhomes (things like toilets, fridges, water heaters, space heaters etc) come from pretty much the same manufacturers (Thetford, Electrolux/Dometic, Truma, Eberspaches, Smev etc). The furniture materials, in general, also come from just a few manufacturers so the only variable factors between brands should be design and construction quality. Personally if you can get a layout you like from Burstner at a price you're happy with I'd say go with it.

D.

We bought a top of the range Bessacar caravan (made by swift) in 2005. Lovely design BUT build quality not brilliant especially when I think of how much it cost. Can't comment on Burstner but we have a new Hymer van and the usability and build quality are FAR superior.

Hi,

We have a Bessacarr and its great no real problems and the extras that are fitted as standard really make it a pleasure to use, and i certainly would buy another, just for the quality and comfort of the upholstery and the layout if for nothing else. And as said most of the equipment is made by other companies including a lot of the body components this goes for most motor-home manufacturers.

Hi Alan & welcome

As you can see from the comments, it really boils down to a matter of taste and what you like and feel in a M/Home.

We've had both British and German makes and can honestly say, that now on our 3rd German build & would never go back to a Brit.Eventhough our 2 from Elddis gave us no probs whatsoever.

Take a look around, go to shows, speak to other users ,and then form your own opinions and go for what you want for yourselves.

Good luck hunting!!

Thai

hi

we have ace firenze by swift and we have had no real problems with it .the only problems we have had have been with other manufactures parts ie awning and heater although that was my fault and the elec step

when we contacted swift the repairs were done under warranty no problem

have we just been lucky

Burstner has an excellent reputation throughout Europe for its build quality, though like all manufacturers - yes even German ones - they have their "off" days!  They are part of the Hymer group, and some rate the build quality superior to the perent company.  Unfortunately, Swift's quality control seems somewhat patchy by comparision

Forgive me, but I do just wonder if you are choosing the A 572-2 layout because it seems familiar to a lapsed caravanner?  I suspect you'll end up converting the dinette into the bed, because I think, as do so many others, you'll find the luton bed rather unappealing.  However, if that is your preference..........

I'd add that the payload, at only 430Kg (I'm referring to pre 2007 models catalogue weights) on the 3.5 tonne chassis, looks a bit light to me.  I'd be inclined to go for the 3.85 tonne chassis, if your licence is up to it, which would give a more realistic 730Kg. 

This is quite a hefty little van, and at 6.3 metres long, hardly compact.  If it were me, I think I'd look some more, and try to get something of equal quality that is both smaller and lighter.  Do also be aware it is 3.15 metres high, so possibly difficult to site among trees, and quite a barn door to push through the air: I think you'll be lucky to see 25 mpg!

hello everyone thanks for your input, the reason we like this layout is because we like a large living space,don,t like fixed beds or end bathrooms & need 4 belted seats for for live away big kids who now think "camping" is cool.we still have our caravan which is a large 5 berth, great on site when set up but a bind for 2/3 days as there is very little storage that is accessible from the outside so the awning, bbq.chairs need emptying out. this is why i like the burstner with its large double floor and outside lockers. Brian mentioned the payload weight looked low, what would be an acceptable figure, as a novice i have no idea,aim for the heavy side, with the caravan we take the kitchen sink and spare one in case it breaks.any input about different models or advice would be much appreciated thanks alan

The choice of M/home is one as individual as it gets. Ask 10 M/homers what they want from a 'van and you will get ten different answers. You have to look for the layout which suits your lifestyle and your intended use of the 'van.

Having said that if you are looking for a 'van to accomodate 4 and their pastimes you will need both a hefty payload ( I would suggest at least 800kg) and somewhere to put it. I have seen a number of 'vans with an, advertised, healthy payload but relatively little storage space. It is all a compromise. Some 'vans are able to advertise large payloads because they have put very little in the way of cupboards or double floors or garages in. So make sure you can actually fit that extra kitchen sink in the 'van of your choice!

Archived