Awning for Talbot Express

Guest ajd3

Hi,

My partner and I are new to the world of motor homes and have just bought a Talbot Express Camelot, 4 berth 2l petrol. I've been looking at the MMM and various websites to try and work out which awning we should get. We would like a freestanding one that attaches to the gutter. The awnings I have looked at all seem to be 360cm wide and our van is only 324cm wide (including the passenger door). If we only want it to go from the side door to rear, the width is only 260cm. The gutter is 190cm up from the ground.

I get the feeling I'm missing something here or being really thick can anyone advise us what size would fit please? :-S

Thanks

I presume you mean a 'Drive Away' free standing awning?

These awnings, as you are aware, stand on their own and only have a flap or canopy that stretches to the van, they are not a close fit to the van. This is usually attached via J type channel that is fitted to the side of the van, or some do attach to the gutter.

When errected, you will find that you can walk (or squeeze) between the gap from the side of the awning and the van.

You will find that the dimensions you quote are for the base of the awning. They have sloping sides, so are narrower at the top. I would say that a 360cm awning would be OK as that is the size I have on my Talbot Camelot.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks Bill, that's just the sort of info I'm looking for. I didn't realise the measurements are for ground level and so it would fit further up. I spoke to someone at justkampers.com but they were unable to advise me what would fit. If that's the size you've got, it's good enough for me. Thanks again :-D

Hi aid

my DH and I are looking into buying our first motorhome on a £10,000 budget and have looked at a lot of Talbots. Can you give us your thoughts on your new purchase. Berth, engine power insides - how does the bed work etc. It is quite a nervewracking expereince and looking for advice. Much more difficult than buying a car.

Hope it's not being too nosey

Thanks

We set ourselves the same amount as max budget but got ours for just under 6,000.

It is 1991 vintage but only got 58,000 miles on the clock. It has been well looked after (we got full service & MOT history) is in excellent condition inside & out. Easy to drive, comfortable and quiet (petrol engine). We haven't had a chance to go away in it yet as only had it 3 weeks. It's a 4 berth and we will probably sleep in the upper bit as faffing around with the seats is a bit of a palaver (I also think it will be more comfortable as there aren't so many 'cushion joins', having said that, we have a thinnish memory foam mattress topper we use on our bed in the house that I'm thinking about using in the camper). I looked at lots of campers onlline and bought the MMM pre-purchase to get an idea of prices etc. We also had a look at a few at a dealers with no intention of buying just so we could see what was on offer. I think we got lucky though, we bought through a dealer but it was 3,000 cheaper than the same thing at the other dealer. By the time we saw the one we bought, we had a better idea of what we wanted.

Happy hunting

Archived