Preventing the explosion

icelander

Eventually I hope to make or fit a SOG

To prevent those explosions when the slider on the loo is opened I am thinking of connecting a small bore pipe - perhaps quick release to the fill empty cap. The pipe would run down to the underside of the motorhome. Can anyone think of any reasons not to do this. I do not think that there would be a trail behind the motorhome when travelling, as the lowould never be filled anywhere near high enough to allow that to happen.

The ventura effect on a pipe protruding in the wind if stationary- if the end dangling in the wind had a inverted funnel on it do you think it would suck air down from the toilet or blow air into the toilet?

Guest JudgeMental

regards SOG in general - best £80 I have spent on a motorhome accessory.

no smells and no nasty chemicals.

We have a SOG fitted on every 'van we buy this is despite the new Thetford loos being fitted with a vent system which stops the pressurising effect. It works rather loke your proposed mod.

Certainly the best accessory we have fitted. 1) No chemicals. 2) No toilet smells in the 'van.

They are not difficult to fit - the only fiddly bit is placing the micro switch correctly by the blade.

We still keep a small bottle of chemical in the 'van as most of the time the system works to break down the contents but if the weather is freezing it takes a bit longer. Having said that we have carried the same small bottle with us for the last 4 years.

Frankkia - 2007-06-12 2:10 PM

snipped..

They are not difficult to fit - the only fiddly bit is placing the micro switch correctly by the blade.

Probably the worst bit (well, for me) was drilling that big 'ole in the side of our nice new m/home. Check for accuracy, measure, measure and measure again before you drill ;-)

pete

Hi Rossko.

Welcome to the wonderful world of motorhoming where the conversations usually come down to the toilet level. At least that is what this one is all about.

A SOG system is a German system for breaking down the contents of the toilet cassette without the need for chemicals. It is more environmentally friendly and it means - 1) No chemicals 2) No nasty smells in the 'van when the toilet is in use 3) You can empty your cassette in a system using a septic tank (the chemicals would kill the bacteria which are employed in a septic tank)

It is a simple device consisting of a 12v extractor fan fitted, usually, in the compartment door with hose attached to the cassette and a micro switch next to the blade of the loo (so that the fan is turned on when the blade is opened).

icelander - 2007-06-12 6:07 PM

Thank you - will keep my eyes open for a secondhand one later

You might have a long wait. I can't see too many people taking the SOG off their motorhome and leaving a big hole in the bog door.

If you do a search for "pongo" on the forum you should find some details of Cliive's diy version of the SOG.

D.

In edit: in faxct in an idle moment I searched it out myself and have the link direct to Clive's website, I'm sure he won't mind.

http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/Pongo.htm

D.

Yes thanks Dave for information - very kind and Clive too for instructions. I already have 2 x 12 volt fans from a computer purchased at a table top sale.

The wait for a secondhand one was for the magazine. I hate buying mags and usually wait to see if I can get them for 50p at boot sales etc.

Hi,

Just a few questions that i think you should ask before fitting one

How bad is the smell when you are emptying the cassette?

Will it annoy your neighbours e.g Does it give off a smell if you park next to a van with one fitted ?

Just how long does it take for the oxygenation to start working and have the desired affect ?

How often do you normally empty your cassette ?

I ended up purchasing a replacement carbon filter element for a SOG at a show and fitted this to the PONGO cowling. This stops smells escaping when its "in action"

We empty the cassette when its aproaching full or won,t last another night. Gives it time to decompose!

Smell when emptying? Do Cabages smell worse than that blue chemical that bites the lining of your nose?

Hope that helps.

C.

As I've said before on other threads, I empty the pot daily and it doesn't smell any worse than when you did your business, and that's without the benefit of chems or SOG/Pongo. Also, although ours is an old 'van (1989/1990) and as far as I'm aware it has the original loo I've never experienced this "explosion" you mention.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-06-14 8:58 AM

As I've said before on other threads, I empty the pot daily and it doesn't smell any worse than when you did your business, and that's without the benefit of chems or SOG/Pongo. Also, although ours is an old 'van (1989/1990) and as far as I'm aware it has the original loo I've never experienced this "explosion" you mention.

D.

Clive,

Definitely a subject for discussion at Lincoln while your doing your "Crepes". 8-) 8-)

Dave,

Not much action on the web cam today 8-) it's raining here and I thought I could sit back and watch you graft away. :-D :-D

Don

Our first explosion was when we were up a high French mountain contemplating joining the mile high club. Jan opened the trap and POW!

That curtailed any further thoughts on the subject in mind for some time.

But not since Pongo.

Don Madge - 2007-06-14 9:07 AM

davenewell@home - 2007-06-14 8:58 AM

D.

Clive,

Definitely a subject for discussion at Lincoln while your doing your "Crepes". 8-) 8-)

Dave,

Not much action on the web cam today 8-) it's raining here and I thought I could sit back and watch you graft away. :-D :-D

Don

Sorry Don, I had a late start as I had to visit the post office and there's nothing booked in today so there won't be much action. I might do a bit of work on our 'van later and there's a couple of bitsa jobs I could do but its nice and warm here in the orrifice even if sitting down does hurt.

D.

Clive - 2007-06-14 9:41 AM

Our first explosion was when we were up a high French mountain contemplating joining the mile high club. Jan opened the trap and POW!

That curtailed any further thoughts on the subject in mind for some time.

But not since Pongo.

I bet it also curtailed the "Sudoku" for the day.

Don

Guest caraprof

I'm not very bright and am fairly new to motorhoming but if, when I used my lavatory for the first time in a few hours, there was a massive explosion, I would be looking at my diet.

Could it be too much fibre in his food? Ease off on the baked beans et al and see if this alleviates the problem! :-D :-D :-D

Either that, or it's that Northern beer, with all the fizzy bubbles on top!

Ours had some kind of pressure regulating device to ensure tank, and external barometric, pressures equalised.  Haven't had a problem stopping for leaks in Alps or Pyrenees, so it seems to work.  Has there been a design modification over the years, or does this (removable) valve possibly need servicing/cleaning?

Archived