Frontal Protection Systems

pthomp52

Hi veryone,

I'd like to know what everyones thoughts are regards to fitting frontal protection systems (nudge bars) to Motorhomes.

We manufacture a nudge bar which conforms to the new EU regulations and enhances the safety of vehicles to which they are fitted.

We do them for Transit, Traffic, Vivaro and VW Transporter (caravelle). We have never marketed them to Motor home owners and would like to know what you think of them.

Take a look at the web site and let me have your feed back. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them as best I can.

Many thanks.

www.endura-fps.com

Guest caraprof

Am I missing something here? These are not traditional bull bars but a plastic safety system. If you hit a pedestrian these will flex back a couple of inches and cause far less injury than being hit by the metal front of a large vehicle.

I presume that you've all actually visited the website and read the spec?

My apologies, I hadn't looked at the site. I still don't like the look of them but accept that (assuming the test data is correct) they are not going to pose a significant threat to pedestrians. I wonder why Ford, Peugeot, Fiat, Iveco, Mercedes and all the other makers don't fit them as standard or at least use the same materials in their front end designs.

D.

Guest caraprof

For the same reason that they don't fit cruise control! It keeps costs down legislation doesn't require it and up to now, no one has thought of it!

If these attachments are proven to save lives then perhaps the big manufacturers will eventually fit them. To me they seem to be an excellent idea. They offer a softer cushion for any pedestrian you hit and will also save a lot of damage to the front of your vehicle.

Sorry guys, I should have said that you need to view the web site to see our product0.

Tests show that we can make vehicles up to 50 times safer than the base vehicle.

I very much appreciate your comments.

I myself have a Compass Avantgarde on a Peugeot Boxer. I had benevr thought of fitting anything to the front. I have never been in an accident with a pedestrian in any vehicle, but am seriously considering letting my company use the van to design a bar for Boxer. They will only do that if they think they can get enough sales. What do people think about the possible sales to motorhome owners?

We had a great deal of interest at the Caravan Club national rally from caravan owners with 4x4 vehicles as tow cars. Only a few enquiries from motorhome owners. I just wondered if that was because motorhome owners never thought of this kind of accessory.

Once again, really appreciate your comments.

Came to this late but, for what it's worth, my comments are as follows.

The tests sem to have been carried out by a competent organisation, and so should be as reliable as any others involving vehicles.

The pedestrian has to be struck by the part of the vehicle so protected.  It appears the system does not extend across the full width of the vehicle, tending to concentrete centre front.  Its actual effectiveness will therefore tend to relate to the number of centre front pedestrian impacts.  Statistics, so far as I could find, not provided.

It may provide some "nudge" protection against careless parking.  This may influence sales more directly than notions of protecting pedestrians, or am I just a cynic!

The tests appear not to have been carried out on the 2007 models, most of which appear, superficially, to already carry the essence of this profile at the front.  I just wonder, therefore, whether the benefits will follow through to these newer vehicles. 

The certification appears not to apply to the 2007 models, for which new tests would appear necessary to gain new certification.

Hi Brian,

You are correct, every model change needs to be tested to gain certification, so if we have not done a 2007 model year, we would need to test it again.

As far as the centre design is concerned, we are limited by the EU directive for FPS and the EU directive for viewing angles for lighting. If we extended the bar across the vehicle at the full height, then the test would have to be done 50mm from the outside edge, and to achieve the head impact criteria (HIC) we would need the bar to be full depth (front to back) and this would obscure the light viewing angles.

I agree with Brian regarding the protection area, I would think that the majority of pedestrian impacts occur outside the central zone. (although I do not have any data to verify this)

The instinct of drivers would be to swerve away from a potential head-on collision making the nearside front the most vunerable impact area.

I think the FPS would have minimal benefit for this type of situation. Now if a system could be devised thet covers the full width of the vehicle, it would change the whole scenario.

Despite it's certification to the EU regs, has there been any comment from Insurance companies regarding the product.?

Flicka

John Keats - 2007-06-13 8:08 PM I'm not in favour on my vehicle Rapido 987M I had them on several VW vans but in the end I calculated they were more dangerous than useful, unless you work amongst either farm animals or forestry.

You need to look to see what is actually being discussed John.  These are not bull bars.

flicka - 2007-06-13 8:53 PM I agree with Brian regarding the protection area, I would think that the majority of pedestrian impacts occur outside the central zone. (although I do not have any data to verify this) The instinct of drivers would be to swerve away from a potential head-on collision making the nearside front the most vunerable impact area. I think the FPS would have minimal benefit for this type of situation. Now if a system could be devised thet covers the full width of the vehicle, it would change the whole scenario. Despite it's certification to the EU regs, has there been any comment from Insurance companies regarding the product.? Flicka

What about external, frontal, airbags?  (Not sure if I'm serious about this, or not!)

I cannot see the point of fitting plastic to the front other than to reduce the area succeptible to paint chips or make it look pretty.

I had a propper steel bull bar on my old Landrover. It included the mounting for the winch, two radio antenna and a pump up mast mounting.

In one shunt I adequately modified the boot of a brand new BMW 735I. OOps. landrover was unhurt. My fault!

Why should we not be able to have the same metalic protection as a lorry??

One copper said to me at a Road safety Presentation "You cannot beat metal". His patrol vehicle was a range Rover.

He was right.

In a shunt the vehicle with the greatest mass will have the least deceleration. Basic physics.

The smaller vehicle is your crumple zone.

Name me any member of the cabinet who drives about in a small car??

How many are driven about in Range Rovers?

Sauce for the Goose .......

C.

Archived