autoroute tolls

naittaw

The France Autoroute web site seems to have changed since I last used it. No English version ?

But more importantly - Vehicle classification suggests I am Class 2, but the toll calculator does not allow for that to be entered. Options are 3 sizes of car or minibus.

Is it easy, easiest, to use a credit card for toll charges or is there the same problem as with petrol stations i.e. they dont accept UK cards ?

Yes, I know that there are more leisurely and scenic routes to travel but just this once I want to get to north east Spain reasonably quickly, and can't afford the ferry charges to Santander/Bilbao !

I've never had a problem using a credit card on the Autoroutes, although my Debit Card (Maestro or Switch) has never been acceptable. I don't know about Mastercard. If you travel through a number of toll booths belonging to the same operator on the same day, then tolls are shown on my credit card statement as one transaction, this possibly saves on exchange rates?

Hi Clive,

We were in Carcassonne at the La Cite site the week before last. It cost us about £102 in tolls. We decided to use the autoroutes to try to find somwhere where it wasn't raining before our time ran out but the further south we got, the more it rained. We finally found a few days sun on the way back north in the Loire Valley.

Archived