Ducato Clutch

enodreven

Hi,

My clutch pedal appears to travel a long way up before it starts to bite and there doesn't seem to be very much free play at the top of the pedal, anyone any idea if this is normal or is it a sign that the clutch may need replacing

any help advice would be welcome,

Guest peter
Sounds like free play needs adjusting. Try putting on the hand brake and then pulling away in 2nd gear. If the engine stalls the clutch should be o/k. If it doesn't and engine speed increases with no forward movement then clutch is probably worn. But check free play at pedal first and adjust if needed.

Hi, Dave & Peter

Its a 2004/05 and I must admit its been like it since I purchased it 10000 miles ago but it has always worried me as I haven't had anything to compare it with, The reason I am rasing it now is because I let someone else drive it yesterday and they said it felt like the travel was very long before it would bite. I have never had any problems with it slipping

Dave is this common on the models around the 2004/5 year

thanks

Brian

OK, on 'vans of your period the clutch is hydraulically operated so there is no adjustment available. Every ducato of that period that I've driven (and that is quite a few ;-) ) the clutch bites towards the top of the pedal travel so on the face of it it is normal. Peter's suggestion of a method of testing the clutch is spot on, with the handbrake on engage second gear and try to pull away if the clutch is ok it will stall. If it doesn't stall and you can let the clutch all the way out without the van stalling then the clutch is knackered. My guess is it's just normal and nothing to worry about.

D.

Hi, Dave

Thanks for the information that has really helped to put my mind to rest, I haven't tried the 2nd gear thing yet but it doesn't appear to slip even on very steep gradients when pulling away ? and I haven't had any problems in the last 10000+miles

If i ever do need one fitted how long does it normally take, how long would the vehicle be off the road for

Thanks again

Guest peter
Dave....even an Hydraulic clutch should have some free-play at he pedal push rod to avoid pressure on the release bearing when engaged.

Guest peter
davenewell@home - 2007-06-14 6:48 PM

Yes Peter it should, but you don't have any means of adjusting a hydraulic clutch as they're self adjusting.

D.

Very true.

Archived