replacing Fiat battery

Patrick Winks

I have a 1998 Hymer B Class on the Fiat 2.5L TD. I cannot store the van near my home in London so have it in a storage compound 50 miles away which makes visiting it an all day event. I have been away attending to family affairs in NZ since before Xmas and on my return find that despite the storage site owner saying he would run the van every few weeks this hasn't been done and the battery is flat beyond redemption. I don't belong to the AA-RAC and need to have the local garage that does my MOT attend to the work. 1)will they need to reset any of the vans electrics.2) I have a Strikeback alarm will that be a problem.3) I have a solar panel on the roof but it is only wired direct - through a regulator of course - to the leisure battery. If I get a cigarette lighter adaptor can I wire it into the regulator and then to the lighter so as to charge the Fiat battery? To do this I have to cut the other end off the adaptor and connect the two wires to the terminals on the regulator, does it matter which wire goes where. I know this would only be a temporary solution but I need to do something in the short term as I may need to go down under again at short notice, perhaps someone can explain how I can wire my panel into the vans electrics so that at a later stage I can do that, regards and thanks Patrick Winks.

I'm rather surprised that Van Bitz didn't fit a battery master to trickle some charge across from the leisure battery to the engine battery, I thought they automatically fitted one with every Strikeback alarm. If you don't have one then you need one, it will solve your problem.

D.

Archived