electric loo flush

Champstar

Hi Having had my new motorhome for almost a year one thing bugs me about the electric loo flush. Sometimes it works wonderfully other hardly a trickle..is this a common problem?

At my recent habitation service I pointd this out and the system was checked and found ok but said that it just had to be primed. Excuse me for being stupid what does this actually mean?

many thanks from a new user :$

I kinda geussed that but is that just it as even after a good flush an hour later there is just a trickle....I can get it back if i run the bathroom taps for a minute or so.

Is this a common occurrence or it a problem that I should be taking care off.

Well, he hasn't said whether the supply to the loo is from its own tank, or from the main tank via his service water pump. 

If the latter, my guess is that he either hasn't fully expelled the air in his water system when filling; possibly, if he has Truma Combi heater, on the hot side.  However, if it is from the main pump, I don't understand the stated need to prime, since the main water pump will be self-priming.  An alternative is that the non-return valve on the water system is letting water flow back into the main tank.  However, if this is the case, I'd also expect there to be a certain amount of spluttering from the taps when operated.  More info required!

Champstar

I have had roughly the same problem for the past 9 months, when I press the flush button all I had was a bump bump bump of the pump desperatley trying to get water to the bowl and then only a trickle appeared, after a while of pressing it got a lot better but then the next time of use it was back to the start.

Took it to my dealer and was told "that's normal, or it needs priming, or the pipe is kinked", actually i have just had the toilet solonoid changed and hey presto it works like a good un, only trouble is now it will use a lot more water, still at least it works.

My water comes from the main fresh water tank, and my van is an Ace Napoli

Tezza

The water comes from the main tank and there is no spluttering of taps unless to fill the trauma water boiler...again does this also happen alot..I would think that once it is filled it should fill automatically when running the hot taps...or am I a complete idiot.

It was my dream to have a motorhome from a young age and now that we have one it is great but I do feel a little bit stupid asking silly questions.

Champstar - 2007-06-15 9:58 PM The water comes from the main tank and there is no spluttering of taps unless to fill the trauma water boiler...again does this also happen alot..I would think that once it is filled it should fill automatically when running the hot taps...or am I a complete idiot. It was my dream to have a motorhome from a young age and now that we have one it is great but I do feel a little bit stupid asking silly questions.

I don't think you are adequately purging the air from your Truma.  You have to get 12 litres of water into it, and so 12 litres plus of air out! 

Start with all the cold taps (don't forget the shower and the toilet flush) and run water until the flow is steady and bubble free. 

Then move on to the hot taps.  This can take a while, with quite a bit of spluttering along the way - its that 12 litres of air!  (Don't forget to open all the hot taps, including the shower!)

Then, when you think you've got it, put the water heating on, and let it heat up fully.  Then open the hot taps again, and you'll probably get some more spluttering before the water flow is hot and steady.  When you get there, give the cold another squirt to make sure. 

Then, top up the cold water tank, because you'll have dropped the level a bit, and drain out the waste tank and toilet cassette (you didn't put any chemicals in at this stage, did you?!). 

Keep the water tank reasonably filled, and try to avoid letting the level drop to the point at which the pump feed is sucking air.  After your first day's run you may need to blow out a bit more air that has bubbled around while driving.  After that, it should all settle down nicely.  Some vans are much easier to purge than others. 

If, despite all this, you find the air is slowly creeping back, say overnight, then it will almost certainly be the non-return valve that has picked up a bit of loose limescale.  If it is incorporated with a submerged pump, you may well have to replace the pump to get rid of the problem.

Archived