satellite dishes

arzangees

Oh dear! If anyone sees Frank with his dish waving in the breeze they might think he's waving!

Incidentally have you noticed that "travellers" seem to keep their dishes up whilst towing? I wonder why?

Guest caraprof
Dave Newell - 2007-07-20 11:57 AM Not wishing to pee on your bonfire Frank but I've fitted a couple of these dishes in the past and had one fail in the up position. When we stripped it down the gearbox had collapsed and I have to say I wasn't terribly impressed with the quality of manufacturing inside it. I hope yours gives you plenty of good service but my preference would be for the manual crank up dish as its better made. D.

It's a bit late now Dave! The supplier claimed that he'd had one on his 'van for four years and that it's been fine, but I suppose he would! Although he seemed a reputable chap I must say.

He also claimed that the manual one has coarser gearing I think, which makes it more susceptible to losing the signal in moderate wind. Does that make sense?

The electric bike has arrived! It's ready to go when the battery has charged. I've ridden it up the road a little and without power it's not much different from a normal bike.

Guest caraprof
Ralph - 2007-07-20 12:15 PM Oh dear! If anyone sees Frank with his dish waving in the breeze they might think he's waving! Incidentally have you noticed that "travellers" seem to keep their dishes up whilst towing? I wonder why?

That's a very good point Ralph, thank you for pointing it out. Just in case my dish does get stuck in the upright position in the future I have had the word 'B*ll*cks painted across the front. This will save me returning waves to people.

caraprof - 2007-07-20 1:58 PM
Dave Newell - 2007-07-20 11:57 AM Not wishing to pee on your bonfire Frank but I've fitted a couple of these dishes in the past and had one fail in the up position. When we stripped it down the gearbox had collapsed and I have to say I wasn't terribly impressed with the quality of manufacturing inside it. I hope yours gives you plenty of good service but my preference would be for the manual crank up dish as its better made. D.

It's a bit late now Dave! The supplier claimed that he'd had one on his 'van for four years and that it's been fine, but I suppose he would! Although he seemed a reputable chap I must say.

He also claimed that the manual one has coarser gearing I think, which makes it more susceptible to losing the signal in moderate wind. Does that make sense?

The electric bike has arrived! It's ready to go when the battery has charged. I've ridden it up the road a little and without power it's not much different from a normal bike.

Caraprof

Good luck with you new toy - the electric bike- that is. Now not wishing to anger you in any way whatsoever.

I'm working on the principal that this new toy of yours will have very few users at the mom.Ergo you are in a minority, and you know what happens in a minority situation.

So here goes    

My question is " What happens if you meet a fellow electric biker who waves at you.??

Only clean answers please, but on a more serious note, keep us informed of your experiences on your new electric bike, and no flying past old ladies and frightening them witless with your speeds.

Enjoy!!

Thai

caraprof - 2007-07-20 2:00 PM
Ralph - 2007-07-20 12:15 PM Oh dear! If anyone sees Frank with his dish waving in the breeze they might think he's waving! Incidentally have you noticed that "travellers" seem to keep their dishes up whilst towing? I wonder why?

That's a very good point Ralph, thank you for pointing it out. Just in case my dish does get stuck in the upright position in the future I have had the word 'B*ll*cks painted across the front. This will save me returning waves to people.

What a good idea.  They'll all assume you're just a crusty traveller, so no-one will wave.  Sorted!  :-)

Sorry about that Frank but I didn't know you were planning on getting it before you had it so couldn't advise you not to (does that make any sense to anyone other than myself?). Plenty of them have been sold and I've only encountered the one failure so don't get overly concerned about it, it was just the construction and design quality were a bit poor in my opinion. I've got several customers with the manual crank up unit and no-one has ever complained of it losing signal due to waving about, as long as you've fine tuned the direction to the centre of the signal beam, in other words the strongest signal point both horizontally and vertically you should have a couple of degrees leeway in either direction before you lose the signal to a point that would affect the picture.

D.

evans88 - 2007-06-21 7:07 PM

What channels can you receive on the Lidl systems for £69.99. How far south will these systems with the supplied small dish work in Europe. Would I be able to receive anything in English in the Barcelona area?

probably not,i had trouble staying locked on with a 60cm metre dish just north of barca last year,bought an 80cm dish in spain 40euros, excellent quality,no plastic parts locked on easily,no channel4 on the lidl box and the channels do not auto arrange as on sky but i think it is excellent value

I have been using the Lidl 80cm dish for some years now and find it excellent for reception in some far away places. It works fine in Sicily for instance. It came with a digibox and cable and was £39.99. When in southern Spain in bad weather I lost the signal occasionally so I bought a low noise LNB ( 0.3dB ) and this improved matters considerably. So all I would suggest is that in low signal areas buy a 'better' LNB than the one supplied.

Phil.

Archived