American rv

Natali

Hi Natali you won't get much response on here for that question, most on here think they are overheight, overlength, overwidth and overhere (lol) best try another forum.

But here's my views which as you can see by my avatar are a little biased.

Most RV's are over 30' so interior space is much greater

RV's come standard with a load of extras that euro's don,t Genny, aircon both cab and habitation, large fridge/freezer, tv, towbar.

Most have a permanent queen sized bed

Large storage outside and inside

Large carrying capacity, most have at least a ton

Engine size, euro's come in loads of different sizes and makes, RV's 6.8 fords, 8.1 chevy's in petrol and 6.5 or more cat and cummins diesels, your never short of power in an RV.

You don't buy one if worry about MPG, 10 is good for a petrol, want to travel to all those little spots halfway up a mountain, don't like driving large vehicles, and want to get on every single campsite.

Olley

Hi Natalie

Olley has been able to give you the plus points of an RV as opposed to a european van - although it is possible to get a european van of virtually the same proportions nowadays.

We have had an RV before - 32' - and also a 22' american but now have settled with a low profile Knaus Sun Ti. Why?

Well with just the two of us much of the space in the RV was just not used and became a hindrance when we just wanted to get away for one night or stay in small, out of the way places, or take the van into a town to sightsee (can't do bikes anymore).

We still do long trips into europe of four or five weeks and, when personal circumstancesd permit, will be spending even longer over there. Much of the warm weather time is spent in the great outdoors so having a great big indoors just wasn't needed. Even though the services (waste/fresh water tanks etc) are great sometimes they were just a bind too. Staying on a site inspain for a few months it was necessary to manouvre the RV to the waste emptying point regularly - much easier (although more frequent) to do it with a european cassette system.

These views are just ours after using both we found a medium size european met our needs better but if people can put up with the downsides that Olley lists then an RV may be better.

Good luck with the search.

Regards, David

Hi Natalie,

Still using forums like this for your research project, I see.

It really is not fair to ask people for help - which is generously provided - without declaring your purpose.

Makes of US RV? Come on now - you have a computer and Internet access, so use it rather than other people to do your research for you.

Mel E - 2007-06-22 4:12 PM

Hi Natalie,

Still using forums like this for your research project, I see.

It really is not fair to ask people for help - which is generously provided - without declaring your purpose.

Makes of US RV? Come on now - you have a computer and Internet access, so use it rather than other people to do your research for you.

Mel,

What gives? Tell more. Can't be much of an academic research project surely? Unless the target language is other than English?

Mel E - 2007-06-22 4:12 PM Hi Natalie, Still using forums like this for your research project, I see. It really is not fair to ask people for help - which is generously provided - without declaring your purpose. Makes of US RV? Come on now - you have a computer and Internet access, so use it rather than other people to do your research for you.

Mel

Well spotted, i've been dubious about this thread as soon as I saw the contact details.

Thai

Sorry. I will never ask anything on your forum. In Russia we have our forum, people ask different question for research for article for anything! We always answer. If I know something I am glad to tell it anouther people and help them. My english is not very well, how you can see, so sometimes it's really very difficult to find smthing.

So now I understand the difference between russian people and GB. we will never tell somebody who ask help - Go away and do it yourself. We always try to help each other and it's not a problem for us to share information. I will know it. Sorry anyway, I will never ask here questions. Sorry. and good bye.

Sorry guys you will have to explain why Natali got imho a rude reply.

These forums are to help people, and most of the questions asked could be googled but we still take time to answer them, so why pick on Natali?

Hardly the actions of a so called Friendly Forum is it.

Olley

I think patience is wearing a bit thin Olley.  She says she is writing something she has described both as an article and as a review.  She tends to ask very "open" questions that are difficult to answer, maybe limited by her English.  A number of people have taken time and trouble to respond, some in considerable detail. 

However, she seems to have very little general knowledge or understanding of the subject, so it is a little difficult to see what use this review or article will be when finished.  Nevertheless, she persists, and I think some are possibly thinking she is trying to get others to do her writing for her! 

Since none of us knows what this famous article or review is for, I think some are beginning to feel they may be freely contributing to a salary she's supposed to earn from her own efforts, or maybe to some market research that is intended to benefit unspecified others, or possibly an academic attainment that will be based on our collective knowledge, but not on hers!  In short, I think some are getting a bit tetchy because they feel they may be aiding a cheat!

The best advice I can give to Natali is to come clean, and explain why she is asking all these questions.

michele - 2007-06-25 7:42 PM

Olley ,

You will find Natalie asking questions on the Caravan site as well.

Only Natalie never seems to come back and say THANKYOU. Or even just come back. ;-)

If you don't know smthing, don't tell, please. I always say "thank you". You can find my topics in this thread of the forum and there you will see. If I don't say "thank you" to you - I am sorry. And THANK YOU!

Brian Kirby - 2007-06-25 4:58 PM

I think patience is wearing a bit thin Olley.  She says she is writing something she has described both as an article and as a review.  She tends to ask very "open" questions that are difficult to answer, maybe limited by her English.  A number of people have taken time and trouble to respond, some in considerable detail. 

However, she seems to have very little general knowledge or understanding of the subject, so it is a little difficult to see what use this review or article will be when finished.  Nevertheless, she persists, and I think some are possibly thinking she is trying to get others to do her writing for her! 

Since none of us knows what this famous article or review is for, I think some are beginning to feel they may be freely contributing to a salary she's supposed to earn from her own efforts, or maybe to some market research that is intended to benefit unspecified others, or possibly an academic attainment that will be based on our collective knowledge, but not on hers!  In short, I think some are getting a bit tetchy because they feel they may be aiding a cheat!

The best advice I can give to Natali is to come clean, and explain why she is asking all these questions.

1. How do you think people write article? They search, they talk and then write. I don't use your knowledges because I can't. I write for Russian magazine and you know Russia is not UK. And the difference is too large. Motorhomes and camping in Uk and Russia so different...... From this forum I only have an opinion. but it is not enough for the article about russians who buy USA and UK motorhomes...belive me, I earn my money myself.2. Yes, I am a journalist and I said about it in one of my threads. If I cheat, as you think, I will never say it...... 3. And where is cheating? For example, I talk with caravan peolpe from Finland, they teach me smthig, they talk me smthing about campers, camping - then I write an article from their words, of course.... So I talk with you and then write...... Maybe I don't understand smthig. For this I want to say sorry. But I don't cheat!

michele - 2007-06-27 9:07 PM

Natali,

please can you explain what it is you do or why you want to know about Rv's . If you do that then people may be able to help you .

cheers

I am a journalist and I want to know about RV because I am writing an article. thank you.

Does that mean that all us contributors are :-

1 On comission

2 Will get a mention in the published article.

3 Will get our mug shots on the front of the magazine.

4 Will get an invite and free air tickets for the press release.

5 Added to her Xmas list.

6 Will get a bottle of Vodka in the post for Christmas.

7 Flying flowers........

??

If all this is confirmed, where do we sign up??

Clive - 2007-06-27 10:09 PM Does that mean that all us contributors are :- 1 On comission 2 Will get a mention in the published article. 3 Will get our mug shots on the front of the magazine. 4 Will get an invite and free air tickets for the press release. 5 Added to her Xmas list. 6 Will get a bottle of Vodka in the post for Christmas. 7 Flying flowers........ ?? If all this is confirmed, where do we sign up??

Probably not Clive, but at least you'll have the satisfaction of being part of improved relations between the UK and our major gas supplier (remember, we're due for a severe winter).  

Clive - 2007-06-27 10:09 PM

Does that mean that all us contributors are :-

1 On comission

2 Will get a mention in the published article.

3 Will get our mug shots on the front of the magazine.

4 Will get an invite and free air tickets for the press release.

5 Added to her Xmas list.

6 Will get a bottle of Vodka in the post for Christmas.

7 Flying flowers........

??

If all this is confirmed, where do we sign up??

No, you don't.

michele - 2007-06-27 11:25 PM Winter Winter we aven't had a summer yet :D

Michele, we have had a summer, I think it was a few days in May was it not.?? Anyway we've now gone past the longest day, so the nights will begin to get shorter!!!AAAGHHHHH!!

Thai

Natalie, I'm a part time journalist in the motorhome field but I do my research myself. If I need to write an article about a particular motorhome I go and see it for myself, I use it as a motorhome is intended to be used for myself. I don't ask the general public for the material that will then become a piece of work that hopefully I will be paid for.

What magazine are you writing the article for? Is there much of a motorhome industry in Russia? Do American and European motorhomes get imported into Russia? If so then why not contact the importers? If no then why is it of any interest to your readers what happens in Europe? Again if no then what is the interest level for motorhome related reading matter in Russia.

D.

Archived