Diesel Gloves

Wingpete

Whenever I can, I use those disposable gloves when refilling, keeps that nasty smelly diesel from contaminating me sarnies when having a snack :-(

But recently I have noticed many forecourts fail to replenish the containers, especially the Esso gargaes, in France & UK.

Even paper towel dispensers are left empty, so really am left with mucky hands. The Esso services on the M 20 are good example. The pump leaked from its connections, and been spilling diesel for some time, seeing the area of staining. The attendant explined that as they were having a refurbishment, some things were no "quite right". Even the washroom had no towels, only a dryer, and no soap to remove traces of diesel.

It does not take much imagination for the proprietors to see that customer satisfaction will be adversely affected if they are unable to phase in refurbs that leave facilities intact.

Even tried to fill a car last week at the BP garage in Greenwich, near to the National Maritme Museum, to find it being refurbed, with only two pumps working, other 6 coned off whilst contractors dug up the concrete, and traffic jam on forecourt. Result, had to wait until space created after a lorry moved, and leave the garage by side exit, to rejoin massive traffic queue that had built up due to cars trying to access and leave the site.

Much prefer the way other firms do refurbishments.

Close down the garage until job completed.

Hmmm, Petrochemical giants’ customer care? An oxymoron if ever there was one.

I realise there are times when we simply have to use whatever service station is available, but the rest of the time we should hit them where it hurts, and simply use a better managed station.

While customers still queue to get into forecourts of ill equipped and dirty stations, what incentive is there for them to change?

Consumer power should not be underestimated.

And there’s always the cooking oil solution for most motorhomers…

Its a commercial vehicle. You cannot call yourself a propper trucker unless you smell olf diesel!

I was going to suggest using french carrier bags but alas many french supermarkets no longer supply them at all.

Bit if thats your biggest problem life aint that bad!

Enjoy

C.

You can often buy a box of vinyl or latex gloves at the Warners shows, J M Goods usually have them for about £5 a box of a hundred I think. Keep a box in the 'van as they come in handy when checking oil levels, changing a wheel or emptying the Thetford cassette (or log box as one of my customers put it 8-) ).

D.

In a former life I had a job of supplying diesal not by the litre but by the cubic metre (roughly equilevant to a ton, before I'm asked). I was lead to believe at that time that diesal is carcogenic, and it was a disciplinary offence to dispense it without wearing gloves and other protective clothing. Nowadays I power my motorhome with diesal. If I visit a filling staion and there are no gloves available I draw the staff's attention to the fact, and, if on a subsequent visit there are still none available I will not return, making sure the management of the filling station understand why. These places need to make a profit, but that should not be at the risk of my or others health. If I go elsewhere for my fuel then they have lost the profit they may have got from my purchase. >:-)

I also carry a couple of pairs of marigold types in loo cassette compartment, which would be fine if I needed to use them, but surely forecourts dispensser should have them as a matter of course ?

Added to the fact that the nozzles are usually contaminated, and leaks prevail, my thoughts got to Trading Standards inspectors not doing their job properly.

At one point in my working life, I had to inspect petrol stations for the Fire Authorities I worked for, and such things were looked for, and reports completed where inefficiencies were found.

But now, other Authorities seem to have inherited the task and appear to be less diligent. But, there again, such matters have changed, forever. :-(

You're absolutely right Pete, forecourt operators should supply them. The problem is you don't know they've got none in the dispensers till you get to the pump. Personally I never use them, not for any other reason that I've never got into the habit, and I've never encountered a pump nozzle that leaked, if I did I'd refuse to use it and go to a different pump.

D.

Archived