Ramp "safety"

Jez_1966

I couldn't find ramps with a "Stop" at the top.
Having seen others drive off ramp and flown solo at TT last year I found it quite exciting using our Milenco Wedge XL.
So I've added a "Stop".
Bigger than needed but I had 25mm marine ply and 40mm screws so needed to double up. 3 screws fixing up through ramp and additional 2 down from top, amgled. A little fettling to shape, I need to sharpen plough plane.

Step 1.jpg

Step 4.jpg

There are levelling ramp designs with a reasonably prominent 'stop' (example here)

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/caravan-levelling-ramps

I initially used Milenco's massive Quattro 4-step levellers that had deep indents for the tyres, so that there was a good idea of how far up the levellers one had got. However, I never exploited their full 'lift' and (although it never happened) I was always aware of the possibility of the precipice drop if I overshot. I replaced these with Milenco MGI T2 levellers that were smaller, had a kinder-to-tyres design, were easier to 'climb up' and less of a drop if I did overshoot.

As you rightly point out, Milenco's "Wedge" levellers have plenty of potential for overshooting and adding a substantial 'stop' makes excellent sense.

You can have App on your i phone to read out level. Never used the blocks. i had ALKO CHASSIS AND AIR SUSPENSION AND HYDRAULIIC FOOTS. THEY ARE PROGRAMMED TO WORK TOGETHER. I TESTED IT OUT ON MYHOUSE WHICH HAD ASLOPE ENTRANCE UPHILL AND NOT FLAT. bUT THERE ARE LIMITS. sO TAKE A SET BLOCKS WHIT YOU.

2 hours ago, Jez_1966 said:

Not see them being used, why are scissor jacks not used on motorhome?

Used on caravans?

No emergency, quick getaway but how often is that really needed.

Electric Scissor Jack.jpeg

Electric Scissor Jack II.jpeg

No good for the French whom like to drive off quickly when car park attendants are collecting money. 
seriously that looks like a nice bit of kit. 
Certainly be looking into them in the near future. 

On 3/4/2023 at 1:44 PM, colin said:

Looks a good idea, particularly for a lone traveller. you have reminded me I want to look at modifying my Milenco Triple's to get a bit more height. 

We have 2 x 0.5m lengths of scaffold board (unusually 5cm thick, found it behind Co-Op in Crosby while at 22 TT) we supplement height. We generally always use them irrespective of need for base to ramps.

Lightweight option would be blocks to put under the end of ramps to increase angle and so height.

20 hours ago, Jez_1966 said:

Not see them being used, why are scissor jacks not used on motorhome?

Used on caravans?

No emergency, quick getaway but how often is that really needed.

If you mean the wind down legs on caravans? then they're intended to act as 'steadiers' ie they don't take the the whole caravan mass off the ground and not intended to be used as levellers/jacks. Some motorcaravans are fitted with similar steadiers, ok for resisting rocking due to strong wind and or occupant movement. I've actually seen m/homes being driven off with these things wound down more due to forgetfulness rather than emergency, some have a dash warning light.

Personally I wouldn't be tempted to use those electric powered jacks under a vehicle subject to wind or occupant movement, they'd soon be parted! All the dedicated levelling devices I know of are firmly mounted on the vehicle chassis or something equally substantial.

The weight of two of those jacks would have to be considered by those running close to payload max. plus storage for load spreading wood foot blocks.

There are a few on-line videos relating to USA RVs where scissor-jacks are shown being used for providing stability when the RV is parked, or even to actually level the vehicle. (example here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cWsFV74Uhc

(I'm not sure if Jez had levelling in mind in his posting that mentioned the motorised scissor-jack, as the lack of stability if the motorhome's wheels were raised clear of the ground should be self-evident.)

After driving over the top of my ramps some years ago, I made some short ones with a 75mm flat surface and then a slope so it just went down again. I put these at end of the ramps I drive up. Normally  can reverse back slightly if I go too far because of the 75mm flat surface. It saves the sudden drop off the ramp.

Archived