Shower light.What switch?

martin r c

Am I going nuts or is there a design clanger on my motorhome.

On my Elddis Autostratus ck 2000.I have a little lamp in the "beam me up scotty" shower.

Oh good.er no!! I cannot find a switch to turn it off, other than the wash room light control on the panel in the main part of the van. not much good at night as this button also kills the other lights in the wash room.

Also a 10w battery killer when not on hook up.

So I have taken the bulb out >:-) >:-) >:-)

Anybody got any ideas. I think the supply to this light is in the roof panels and I can,t find it,to wire a switch in.

Cheers

martin r c

Well, if it's taking 10W, that's less than 1A per hour on 12V, so unless the washroom lights stay on for extended periods, I wouldn't have thought the consumption worth the effort and aggro of trying to install a separate switch.

Provided it is a 12V lamp (and I can't really believe they'd install 230V lighting into the shower), there is no danger of shock, so I think I'd just replace the lamp and not worry about it.

10 Watts is enough to flatten a battery if you're not on hookup though Brian! I don't know the Elddis Autostratus model particularly well but would have thought there must be a switch somewhere, perhaps on the outside of the bathroom? did you not get the owners handbook with the 'van?

D.

Hi , I have read the hand book from cover to cover and it,s not in there.

It only talks about the 2 light control panels 1 in the main area by the tv station,and one in the kitchen. why they provided 2 I don.t know it,s not that far to walk. but they both light up at night,so thats quite handy.

But we have both searched for a switch for this 12v lamp in the shower,but to no avail.

The other problem is. even with the wash room door shut at night this lamp is so bright you can,t sleep.And trying to find the correct button to power up the wash room lights in the middle of the night when your eyes are all blurred and you are half asleep.is no fun >:-( >:-( >:-(

Hence removing the bulb.

Cheers

martin r c

Now I'm confused.  I thought Martin originally said (or at least implied) the light in the shower could be turned on and off along with the other washroom lights, but not separately.  That was the reason for my comment. 

If Martin means the shower light is permanently on, irrespective of the condition of the other washroom lights, then I have misunderstood and agree, a continual 10W load will flatten the battery.

Although my motorhome is a Rapido, I also struggled to find the shower room light switch initially. I found it eventually fixed to the underneath of a cabinet.

As it was below eye level, it was hard to spot.

Try crouching !!?

Guest caraprof

I cannot believe that this light does not have a switch. It just has to be there somewhere!

A forensic tip to toe search of the washroom is required!

Explorer manuals aren't the clearest. We have an Autoquest 100 (2003/4 model) so I don't know if the arrangements in an Autostratus are the same or not.

All the lights in the main body of the van have their own switches and work so long as the main 12v circuit isolator switch is turned on.

The single washroom light (mounted on the ceiling) has two switches in its circuit. One is mounted on the wall next to the control panel in the main body of the van. The other is built into the light unit itself, which is circular with a white body surrounding the diffuser panel. The switch is a simple rocker switch on the side of the light body. Both switches must be in the "on" position for the light to work (i.e. it isn't like the two switches at top and bottom of the stairs in a house).

Graham

Our Rapido was also a pain, it took ages to find the switch - located on the underside of the upper cupboard. Our Rimor was even worse - in that it's located on the light housing itself on the ceiling and is only about the size of a 1p piece so blends in beautifully with the housing. We also had a similar problem with finding the light switch for the Heki lights (1p piece again) and the rear bedroom area lights. The salesman didn't even realise it had lights inthe Heki the switch blended in so well!!!

Have a good mooch around, looking in the daftest places, you'll find it eventually - don't forget to check under the loo, at the side of the sink etc, it's amazing where they can hide things like this. Don't forget to have a good shuftie outside the washroom as well, sometimes they are out there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest A lan

If I have understood this correctly, there is a central switch controlling the wash room and shower lights, and a second switch nearer to the wash room which controls the wash room lights, but not the shower light.

Could it be that the shower light is connected to the wrong (live) side, of this second switch?

Alan

Archived