Up plating motorhome process fairly straightforward

chudders1

Good afternoon all,

A whils ago some may recall I asked various questions about up plating my motorhome In particular I was lookng for information regarding companys that could authorise the procedure. I have now done this and it was relatively painless. Here is the time scale for anyone wondering.

First I had to reinstate my C1 licence. Went to GP, paid my £50, he filled out the form inluding that I am type2 diabetic. I filled out my form sent it off to DVLA. All dealt with and returned 9 days later. That was about end of January. Yipee, C1 now on licence. (D2 and D4 forms) New licence runs for 3 years from the date DVLA processed it.

Next step to establish that motorhome was suitable for upgrade and what was required. SV tech confirmed that it was suitable for upgrade from 3500kg to 3850 which is what I wanted subject to air assist system being installed on rear axle. I did try to contact another firm but could not get a reply at the time.

Ordered set of air assist kit from Marcle leisure arrived 2 days later. Local garage fitted it 2 days  later ( as I have a bad back.) Paid them £90.

Sent forms, copy receipt from Marcle, photos of the bags installed to SV tech. A few days later got all necessary documents back including the new 'plate' and full detailed instructions and forms to send to DVLA.

Forms all sent to DVLA including request for refund of tax as M/home now is PHGV and cheaper tax

Got DVLA confirmation about a week or so ago and new V5 all filled out correctly with new revenue weight etc etc all changed. Now correctly shows 3850 Kg,s

My motorhome (Burstner Nexxo T720) is now has a more sensible payload for my purposes. Also rang Comfort Insurance to advise them of the weight change which they noted but no additional premium and no admin charge.

Took about a month for all the above including GP appointment for my C1 application but I did have to wait 2 days for the appointment after telephoning.

I don't think the above time scale was too bad considering DVLA had to be involved with two application. One for the licence and then for the upgrade application.

I did post on here some time ago and the advice given from others was extremely useful and for which I am grateful. sorry for the length of this posting. but thought it might be useful for anyone considering the process

Thanks to all, Dave

Archived