bike rack on cheyenne

pagey

i want to fit a fiamma pro c bike rack on my 2001 cheyenne it has an end kitchen now the question..whereabouts do the bolts come inside the van? ie do i have to take the oven out ,is there any predetermined position where the back panel has been reinforced for this many thanks you clever lot

Is it possible that fitting a bike rack so low on the van, the number plate might be obscured? Not a criticism, just a point. My bike rack is fitted high, just behind the rear window, but still allowing the window to be opened. Also, I still have a reasonable view through my mirror.

I had my number plate and its light positioned at the top of my van from new for this very reason. If busses can have them there then why not us?

Several companies make tow bar mounting bike racks and you are already three quarters of the way there with the tow bar already installed.

This way the stress goes on the chassis, not the body.

Even if the bike rack/bikes obscure the number plate and/or lights, there's nothing to stop you using a lighting bar and mounting it on the bike rack, you can then plug the lighting bar into the normal towbar lighting point, easy peasy, problem solved.

You can buy the towball type bike racks quite cheaply and they have the added advantage that you can get ones that are easily put on/removed when necessary (make sure you lock it on when in use though!).

See a couple of examples at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Twinny-Load-Quattro-Towball-Rack-for-4-Bikes_W0QQitemZ290129610436QQihZ019QQcategoryZ56202QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cycle-Safe-TWO-Bike-Cycle-Carrier-Rack-For-Car-or-Van_W0QQitemZ180127209802QQihZ008QQcategoryZ56198QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A word of caution here regarding towball mounted bike racks, be wary of how much weight you put on the towball. Bicycles should be ok but I wouldn't reccomend motorcycles, even if the carrier is designed for it. I recently saw photos of a towbar that had been carrying a motor scooter on one of these racks and the towbar structure had broken almost in half! I can't put the pictures on here 'cos I don't hold the copyright but its likely to be in PMH soon.

D.

Almost any tow bracket attached to a motorhome should be good for a 75Kg vertical load, the absolute minimum should be 50Kg, and only a few will take more than 100Kg.  For peace of mind, you could try contacting Towtal to check its limits.

However, bicycles, provided there aren't too many of them, (and assuming they aren't electrically propelled/assisted) shouldn't present a problem - even allowing for the self-weight of the rack.  I doubt there is a motor scooter plus rack that is less than 100Kg, so Dave is right: no scooters! 

However, do remember that the extra load on your rear axle will be greater than just the weight of bikes + rack, and rear axles often flirt with their maximum permissible loadings!

hi thanks for your comments i looked through the history/invoices that came with the autotrail and the reciept from towtal for the towbar also included the purchase of a scooter rack. The scooter rack did not come with the vehicle but the towbar should be a strong one.many thanks |Pagey

I fitted a tow bar on my Hobby and have bought a Thule Tow Ball mounted bike rack £225 delivered (next day) Just returned from 3,500 miles round France and Italy and no problems.

See www.roofracks.co.uk/main/cycleracks

Ian

Archived