Sites in Pembrokeshire?

whisturx

Hopefully going to Pembrokshire in ten days time when the monsoon weather dies down!! Has anybody got any recommended CL's or reasonably priced campsites in this area for an 8 metre long van. Could need hard standing if the rain continues. Ideal sites would be walking or flat cycling to a town/village/beach. Not much to ask!!!

Ian

Stayed at East Hook Farm (there's two of them and it is the one at the very end of the peninsula if I haven't got the name right). Cheap and basic, uni-sex showers (no you don't all do it together), limited toilets, nice people who run it. Superb location, featured on Guardian's list of 50 best campsites.

From Marloes go west as far as you can and you are there.

Avoid Cardigan Bay C&CC site unless you can get a hardstanding and there are only 6 of them, all the rest are on sloping grass impossible to get anywhere near level.

We stayed on The Aeron Coast Caravan Park. It's a large level independant site with statics. (Read Andy Stothard in May MMM)

It's a site just a short walk from Aberaeron with it's pubs & fish & shops.

We stayed there last weekend and although it was busy, club house and heated outdoor swimming pool, it was amazingly quiet at night.

May be a bit expensive. (?)

Wiseman's Bridge Inn and Caravan Park. The site is separated from the beach by just a road so you can hear the sea from your van. It's a basic 25 van site but does have 2 toilets for ladies and 1 for gents and a shower, all clean when we stayed there recently. It has half grass and half hardstanding pitches and the hardstanding we used was quite big. It has it's own little shop which seems to stock just about everything. The pub is just yards away, practically on the beach and has lots of outdoor seating. The food looks great although we didn't get to try it as I'd taken a fridge full of our own.

It's only a short cycle or walk along the coastal path into Saundersfoot, which is a lovely little seaside town - we walked it in 20 mins. You can probably get to Amroth in the other direction too but we didn't have time for that. It's possible you could also cycle to Tenby but that would probably involve a steep hill.

I thought the price a little steep for such a basic site but the location is fantastic and we'll certainly be going back. We went on Fri and Sat and it cost £18 per night.

There's also a Caravan Club CL, The Coppins, which is all hardstanding pitches but it's adult only. It's not far from both Saundersfoot and Tenby.

Hope you enjoy Pembs, we love it as it's only an hour's drive for us so we often go straight after work on a Fri. Unfortunately I can't think of any other sites that are close to the towns, sorry.

To be honest with you we are staying this weekend at Whitesands Beach, this is just the other side of the town of St Davids, Pembs.

Not official to stay overnight but we have done it for many years, with our vans 7.4 and over, got 5 vans going we have to pay double the daily parking fee due to taking up two spaces, we pay £5 PER DAY

You are actually on the Beach, it is very popular if the weather is good, it has a toilet block which i think is locked overnight then cleaned early morn, cafe / shop milk papers, Lifeguard Station, i think would be manned at weekends and School holiday period, they would probably help you with water as they do with us. Your best bet is to arrive in the evening, then the car park attendant has left, and the space to park is free.

You are limited to getting a few flat spaces right down the bottom of the car park with a side view, keep to the right so allowing yourself to drive straight out up the carpark.

Front facing the sea spaces are not long enough to allow traffic to flow through i dont think, as we never PARK there, and many are disabled spaces.

The attendant will come looking for you, or go up to his shed and pay him he is a nice chap.

Just say you arrived early that morning heard it was popular place.

There is a caravan club site up the hill from the beach Lleithyr Meadows, also a Farm site next door,easy to walk down to the beach not so easy going back up.

The Scenery is fab with good weather, always lots of walkers there, never had any bother with staying there.

Many thanks for the suggestions .I would be interested to know how you get on with your car park near St. Davids . Monsoon permitting ,will try a week starting Monday.

I don't get much luck in UK with wild camping ! Many fabulous weekends at Studland near Poole untill that was overdone and the itinerants in elderly caravans ruined it. Stayed with another van on a small beach near Aberaeron in Cardigan Bay and the police turned up......someone thought we were new age travellers !!! They did let us stay the night,just as well as we were on the third bottle of wine !!

Ian

Hi whisturx.

Well it was wet and windy but didnt put us off, there were 5 five vans in our group, but there was also 3 other vans stayed over the weekend they were surfers.

The parking charges have gone up this year, cost us £5.40 per day/ night.

Even tho the weather was against us it was still busy with walkers.

Carebear.

Hi Carebear,

Parked at Whitesands Bay on Thursday in driving rain and watched the surfers. We paid £2.70 when we arrived (2.30 pm) but were put off by the weather and the Council notice about no overnight Camping, so retreated to the CC site at the top for a night. Wisemans Bridge as recommended in another post on this thread was excellent. Friday night we found a farm near Cardigan with lanes so narrow that we would have had a problem passing a bike !!

Our trip was spoiled on Saturday near Carmathen when on the A40 dual carriageway going straight across a roundabout when a young girl coming round the roundabout at speed cut right across in front hitting my offside bumper. The bumper has a small crack and a bit of body panel is bent in but on an 06 Hobby 750 will have to be an insurance job. The girls Ford Ka ened up in the armco and was undriveable.

Just come back from 3,600 mile trip to Southern Italy and back via the route de Napoleon in France(scary drive !!) without a scratch and get hit by a Brit who I think was on the phone !

Not happy. 37 years without a knock

Ian

SO SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR BUMP, HOPE YOU HAVENT BEEN PUT OFF WITH WALES.

Honestly you wouldnt have been moved off if you stayed at Whitesands, ok the weather was bad, we even had a visit both nights from the police, but they were checking the youngsters out on the beach who had a beach fire / party, i am told there is a youth hostel around there, the police never bothered us, neither did the youths.

As i say we have done it for years, this years weather has been the worse there.

Another time and better weather.

Archived