Dethleffs Globevan 1

jasnelgrove

Having looked at Hobby and very negative response from Dealers - although communicating slowly with German dealer by email - now having a look at Dethleffs Globevan 1 on Ford base.

The version they import includes common options and adding the luxus pack gives the spec we want.

Just notice conflicting reports on quality though and would value some comments.

Many thanks yet again....John

Hi John,

Working from memory here but I think you said you'd like a decent garage? The Globevan's is a tiddler. You'd struggle to get a bike with wide handlebars in, I doubt two would fit at any price.

Quality; I realise I'm pedantic but on the two I've seen at shows: Sealant applied sloppily on external panel seams, rear light cluster moulding really flimsy, bike rack mounting extrusion a bit Heath Robinson, general fit and finish inside not quite up to your exsis.

On the whole though, apparently not a bad 'van in build quality terms I think the Knaus, Hobby and Hymer Vans are just a smidge above though.

Have you ruled out the new Exsis I, that seems to tick all of your boxes?

Steve

Guest JudgeMental
spent most of last year looking at what to buy next, and nearly went for the "fortura" model on ford. but was put of by lack of standard winterisation and what I managed to read regards general build quality (went for a EuraMobil)

Guest JudgeMental

plus... I remember that they where quite heavy, and as limited to 3500kg (diabetic) not really suitable as payload limited at that weight.

another factor is they are I think made from an aluminum skin where I believe perceived wisdom is that GRP is better. GRP is stronger - more resilient to hail storms and knocks.

head down now, ready for incoming from alu fans :-D

Just bought a globevan 1 the garage is across the back on this model easily fits bikes.Globevan 2 as a smaller garage as the bed runs from back to front.Had maiden voyage this weekend only problem was no plug for shower sink must have forgot that and lockable water cap on outside of van came apart from interior of cap.

Lowdhams have ordered new water cap.The build quality is as good as the hymer and I think the shower is a lot better in globevan.The price thousands cheaper than the hymervan.

Globevan is just right for 2 & our dog.The table can be turned into a 5ft+ bed with passenger seats & swivel seat.The driving is great very manouverable and reversing easy.Truma heating system great

Handbrake takes some getting used to on rh side so seats can swivel

dimensions L19ft6ins x W7ft 1ins x H 8ft 9ins.Gas locker holds 2x11kg bottles and I have fitted a sog on thetford toilet.Oven and grill are standard on uk spec nice size fridge,3 gas hob.Got mine with sunroof at the front.3 roof vents one over bed,one in kitchen and one in shower.Bed is great nice size for 2.Mine is not the luxus would have had to wait until october for this model.

Hi rwhites1,

Glad you like it, it does seem to be a nice 'van. What sort of bike(s) have you managed to get in the garage? When I measured it up I worked out it wouldn't take my two (narrow for aerodynamics) race bikes without the chainsets fouling each other and the garage walls. I also worried the bikes would take paint from each others frames? I accept I'm anal about not damaging my bikes or 'van though.

I figured you'd only get one in comfortably, as long as the bars weren't too wide? I also figured that if you were going to carry a bike there'd be no room for hardware such as leveling ramps etc?

I'm interested to know because I haven't yet ruled out a Globebus I 1 sometime future.

re bikes we have fitted Fiamma bike slide kit and Globevan 1 carries 2 full sized mountain bikes, just adjust handle bars in line with frame, this leaves loads of space for sun lungers and assorted items. Loads of space in gas locker for 2, 6kg propane bottles wheel leveling blocks , electric cable which still leaves drop holes clear.

Water filler cap does come apart if forget to push in before twisting to undo, but goes back together easily should you forget.

I have not put any bikes in my garage but everthing except kitchen sink

It has about 780kg payload.

Techmec did you get a plug for your shower basin and was gas lighter supplied.

The toilet roll holder is in a good position missed it on handover

Cheers techmec, I'm not surprised that there would be some adjustment-of-bars scenario required. My race bikes have triathlon style 'aero-bars' so turning the handlebars actually increases the bikes width rather than decreasing it. Without a 'strip and rebuild' of their front ends I'm pretty sure I'd be stuffed trying to fit two in.

I already use a bike-slide and am impressed by how neat it is. I use bike block '1's to hold the frames away from the slide though as the Fiamma standard method of strapping bikes directly to it, hence chafing against it, makes me shudder. My bikes are carbon / titanium and taking lumps out of them isn't an option!

Ta though, I feel better informed.

If anyone's interested in the bikeslide, I've shown my own in use in my Knaus.

189598800_708Garage.JPG.dd9696eb7eeabec16b8b4c6054664c4e.JPG

I don't think you are daft worrying about damaging your bike or van as we are just as bad but our bikes aren't titanium/carbon fibre just normal ones.

I did think about using the insulation for pipework that you buy in B&Q as it is cheap so if you lose a bit it is easily replaced and you can always use your old blankets and sheets to cover them up too.

I would love a van that has a fixed bed and a garage for our bikes as our bike rack is a bit faffy and putting the bikes in the van is really worrying with oil and the upholstery and not damaging the bikes. But we love the fact our Duetto is small, nippy and can go anywhere.

But you never know if the right van comes along ......and a lottery win :-S

Are you going to watch the Tour de France ?

if so where. We booked Abbey Wood for the weekend as soon as booking opened in December. Don't know much about it but it isn't every year you get the chance.

Socks are a good way to make sure that your van isn't attacked by pedals, the thicker the better ... Howie's pink ones would be very good indeed ......

Our garage is just a tad too low for our mountain bikes to go in without having to tilt them sideways (quite happy with this though as it means we can have a bed we can get into without having climbing gear). Our solution is to take off the quick release front wheels and put them in rear wheel first, with the front resting on the forks, as they are then resting on the 2 prongs of each of the forks we've found it makes them quite stable as well but we do still tie them in obviously.

Archived