Easy WiFi Radar 1

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

I paid £14 for handheld one and it does not tell you if access unlocked, So some may find this useful and it's free!

Description:

"Why pay for WIFI on the go? Easy WiFi Radar helps you to find and connect to open wireless access points with a single mouse click. Connect to free hot spots without the hassle. It's WiFi for Dummies. And it has the coolest design. Wi-Fi is everywhere. There are paid hotspots, but also an growing number of free access points. This software helps you get your mail and browse the web without connection charges."

http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,1000000375,39149320s,00.htm

Well free to download and try Judge.  I think you'll find it's time limited then you pay $19.95 which is just over £10.  Seems a pretty good investment ;-)

It expires after 20 connections. 

Actually, having done a search on Download.com I came across references to it containing a Trojan?

Guest JudgeMental

Oop's :$

In future I'll try these things out on you first W2G :-D

EuraMobil technician in Belgium on Friday loaded it on my laptop via a memory key. never mentioned a problem (I did ask) and said he and friends had been using it for ages....

is there not 2 versions - one free?

Of course Dave! I always knock and ask at property we are parked outside ;-)

wheres my smileys gone again...

Hi,

I don't know what system you are using on your laptop but if i just click on the little computer icon on the right hand side of my task bar it gives me the option to "View Wireless Networks" isn't this the same thing ?? If i chose the option it shows me all of the wifi networks that are available nearby with there strengths and whether or not they have security enabled on them, this software is standard on my computer and I think its part of XP.

JudgeMental - 2007-06-24 10:26 AM

I paid £14 for handheld one and it does not tell you if access unlocked, So some may find this useful and it's free!

Description:

"Why pay for WIFI on the go? Easy WiFi Radar helps you to find and connect to open wireless access points with a single mouse click. Connect to free hot spots without the hassle. It's WiFi for Dummies. And it has the coolest design. Wi-Fi is everywhere. There are paid hotspots, but also an growing number of free access points. This software helps you get your mail and browse the web without connection charges."

http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,1000000375,39149320s,00.htm

enodreven - 2007-06-24 4:57 PM

Hi,

I don't know what system you are using on your laptop but if i just click on the little computer icon on the right hand side of my task bar it gives me the option to "View Wireless Networks" isn't this the same thing ?? If i chose the option it shows me all of the wifi networks that are available nearby with there strengths and whether or not they have security enabled on them, this software is standard on my computer and I think its part of XP.

The built in XP application is OK but has to be manually updated.

I use Netstumbler http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ great piece of software. It updates automatically, great when you're driving along looking for a hotspot. It also tells you if it's locked or not.

Hi,

Thanks for the link, but I would have thought that for any piece of software to be viable when the actual laptop is moving e.g. "when you are driving along" you would have to be travelling inch by inch or certainly yard by yard for any detection to be accurate or even be worth noting, as some Wifi signals can be lost or gained in just the movement of the laptop ?? it would be interesting to know the refresh rate of the software in the link you gave

derek500 - 2007-06-24 5:51 PM

enodreven - 2007-06-24 4:57 PM

Hi,

The built in XP application is OK but has to be manually updated.

I use Netstumbler http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ great piece of software. It updates automatically, great when you're driving along looking for a hotspot. It also tells you if it's locked or not.

Hello All,

As I have posted before, anyone who wants to 'piggy back' on my connection is most welcome, especially passing camper owners. I have nothing to hide and a hacker will not find anything worth looking at. It costs neither me or the passer-by a penny.

When in a camper I would suggest pulling in, parking and moving to the back of the van, out of sight of passers-by while checking emails etc.

Do not stay long and then move on to the next hotspot.

Every rep and travelling businessman knows that all town centres during business hours enable access during business hours if you can find parking.

Here in the south, cafes, pubs , hotels, and even the few CC sites enabled charge up to £5 per hour to gain access but, believe it or not, if you do your pre tour research, north of the border many premises, especially hotels and pubs advertise that wifi access is free and encourage you to bring your laptop.

I have absolutely no scruples on this whatsoever and have just ordered from the 'net' a gadget for locating hotspots while travelling, cost less than £20 and keyring size. Laptop does not even to be switched on/booted up?

Fully expect flack just the same as when I made my views public on a previous thread.

Best Regards, Mike

enodreven - 2007-06-24 10:16 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the link, but I would have thought that for any piece of software to be viable when the actual laptop is moving e.g. "when you are driving along" you would have to be travelling inch by inch or certainly yard by yard for any detection to be accurate or even be worth noting, as some Wifi signals can be lost or gained in just the movement of the laptop ?? it would be interesting to know the refresh rate of the software in the link you gave

It works at normal driving speeds. Of course you need to drive slowly to be able to stop before you lose the signal. It's amazing how strong some signals are though, maybe 100-200 yds. At home I can't pick up my wi-fi in the bedroom 10 yards from my study!

enodreven - 2007-06-25 11:36 AM

derek500 - 2007-06-25 8:17 AM

At home I can't pick up my wi-fi in the bedroom 10 yards from my study!

Hi, Derek

That doesn't say a lot for that software does it ?? LoL

It's not the software. We've got two laptops and a pda and none of them work in my bedroom. Must be a poor router or the foot thick concrete ceiling.

Dave,

Get one of the gadgets that I mention and cruise the Norfolk coast. If I see you or any other tourer parked up, in all probability I would come out, introduce myself and invite you in for a drink.

Mike

sax - 2007-06-24 11:54 PM

I have absolutely no scruples on this whatsoever and have just ordered from the 'net' a gadget for locating hotspots while travelling, cost less than £20 and keyring size. Laptop does not even to be switched on/booted up?

Best Regards, Mike

I was about to say these locators are no good if you have to drive along with your laptop running on battery.

Guest JudgeMental
Ventoux - 2007-06-30 8:20 AM

I was about to say these locators are no good if you have to drive along with your laptop running on battery.

buy a 12v laptop charger? £10 eBay (including postage) or £20 maplins for the same kit...

Archived