Silver screens

b6x

Hi all. What's peoples thoughts on these? Do they make a difference? Was thinking of buying a set of external screens for our van conversion for when it's really cold (as cant see Remis blinds doing much insulating).

Any thoughts on best make for a 2007 model Ducato?

Taylormade / SilverScreens?  And rough costs?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Definitely worth haveing a set of external ones, even in Spring and Autumn you'll notice the difference inside and they certainly help keep the condensation down.

As for which make, some swear by Silverscreens, others by Taylormade, I've only had the Taylormade ones and can certainly vouch for how good they are - we swapped vans in February and up to that point had been using a set of Taylormade ones on a Fiat base for over 3 years, as they are still in such good conditions I've just adapted them to use on our New Ford base. Cost now I would guest around £70 for a set of Taylormade ones, with the fold down front (very useful if you intend to not move the van for a couple of days (saves having to take them off to let light in the front). Not sure about Silverscreens, they are usually about £20 more for the same thing, at least the last time I looked in April they were.

The only change I made to the Taylormade screens when we originally bought them was to thread the cord through (you use it to tie them around the mirrors) and put a couple of toggles on, the type you get on drawstrings on the bottom of Jackets, it makes tightening them up easy-peasy.

Depending on what you buy, yes they work.  However, do be aware that some (often the thinner, cheaper, ones) are not so highly insulating, so aren't so effective.  You need them to be multi-layered for maximum benefit, and it is essential they are fully waterproof so that they don't waterlog.  Fit is also important, because you want to minimise the amount of water that flows behind them down the windscreen.  Cold water cools windscreens very effectively!

Ulitmately, however, it depends on why you want them. 

You're right about the Remis sets, they aren't much use for insulating, nor are they intended for that purpose.  (In some ways, I think the Remis blinds can make windscreen and cab window condensation worse.  Because there is a gap top and bottom of the Remis sets, especially the windscreen set, there is a kind of reversed stack effect in the airstream between glass and blind.  Air against the large windscreen cools and naturally falls towards the dashboard, drawing in new air at the top.  If the weather is cool and the heating is on, especially if you have been cooking, that air is liable to be quite warm and humid.  Once into the sinking airstream against the cool windscreen, it promptly dumps is humidity onto the screen, and so on.  I'm now convinced there is more condensation on screens protected by Remis blinds, than on those without!  External silver screens do allow the screen to warm up, and so greatly reduce this effect.)

If you're going to do serious winter, or alpine, camping; get the best you can find.  If all you're doing is a bit of shoulder season camping, you'll get away with the lighter ones.  If mainly summer camping, I'd say forget it and just ventilate the van well if it gets a bit steamy inside.

Last point.  The better ones are very bulky and are awkward to store in the van, and all are a pain when you want to move off on a wet day!

Brian / Mel.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.  The van will be used all year round, but very rarely outside of the UK/Europe in mid-winter,  so probably not in extreme winter conditions.

I would therefore not really be looking for heavy duty ones,  and would prefer to compromise on insulation for ease of storage. As a matter of interest, what sort of size do they fold down to? 

Thanks,

Steve

Unless the insulation is good you will get condensation (gallons of it) on the inside of the front screen and cab windows if you sleep inside during the winter in the UK.

Also look at Taylor Made screens. I believe both companies make similar products to similar quality but my only experience with Silver Screens was not good as the owner (at a show) went on and on slagging off the competition rather than promoting the positive aspects of his own product. This did not go down well with me! Both screens are bulky so you need to work out beforehand where you are going to store them - especially if they are wet when removed.

We don,t do much winter camping ourselves so just have DIY internal aluminium clad sun reflectors for the front cab.

Good luck with the quest.

C.

Recently bought a set of Taylormade for £97.00. from their stand at the Newark Show. They are the new long version where the front panel extends over the bonnet. The front panel folds down or can be taken off leaving the door panels in place. Very well made, and yes, they do make a difference.

Mike.

b6x - 2007-06-24 4:25 PM Brian / Mel.

As a matter of interest, what sort of size do they fold down to? 

Thanks,
Steve

Steve

Ours which were quite high spec, multi layer, fully waterproof and French made (bought the van in France).  Rolled into a bundle, about the same length as the top to bottom measurement of the windscreen and about 18" in diameter.  They were in fact quite stiff and, the outer fabric being tough and aluminised, it felt wrong to try to screw them up too much.  They were basically a one piece unit that extended forward from the slam edge of the driver's cab door, across the cab door windows, around and across the windscreen, and back across the passenger's cab door windows to its slam edge.  If you stretch it out, that's a lot of fabric!  When in position, the blind itself "puffed" up to about 2" thick.

This is a very interesting debate, especailly as we are about to collect our new Burstner which will have the Remis type cab concertina screeens.

In previous motorhomes we've had Taylormade internal insulating pads, or else simply 'curtains'. Admitedly over the years we've tended to use the motorhome more and more throughout all seasons, and found necessary to adapt accordingly.

The problem we found with the internal pads was the level of condensation, and interestingly on the last van (Rapido), there was a curtain enclosing the whole of the cab (well, waist up!), and if just one-nighting, we would only use that. Most times we found almost no condensation on the inside of the windscreen the next morning! I've also noticed when on sites in the winter time, that quite a few motorhomers only have curtains, and they too seem to have very little condensation.

We also have a single skin Taylormade external screen, which we use as well as the internal one in the coldest of winter time, and this does reduce the amount of condensation; we also use this combination when in very hot temperatures in France in the summer, and it is very effective in keeping the cab area cooler.

We hope to adapt this single layer external one to fit the new Fiat screen as I do not think the factory fitted Remis ones will be adequate. We'll experiment I guess, but it will be interesting to see if this combination is adequate......if not I've still got a set of internal ones (Rapido supplied!) which we can adapt, I'm sure' to (almost) fit the new shape windscreen.

Just a small note of caution if ordering external screens.

Those that use the door slam to hold the screens in place, such as Taylormade and Silverscreen need a special version if Remis type internal cartridge blinds are fitted to the door. These have a deeper pocket to make allowance for the "deeper" door.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Chapman - 2007-06-24 6:24 PMJust a small note of caution if ordering external screens.Those that use the door slam to hold the screens in place, such as Taylormade and Silverscreen need a special version if Remis type internal cartridge blinds are fitted to the door. These have a deeper pocket to make allowance for the "deeper" door.Regards,Mike.

great tip!  hadn't thought of that.  Thanks alot.

I have a 2007 Peugeot based motorhome I bought an external cover from Taylor Made and its the best £70 I have spent Mr Taylor could not have been more helpfull regarding the fitting of the cover to the new shape  Peugeot. The fit is perfect and the benefits are great we used to have water running down the inside of the windows in the morning,now thats a thing of the past and the insulation properties make a real difference .

They are easy to fit and remove fit into their own bag and stow easily.

Just for reference Taylor Made £70 + postage Silver Screens £128 +postage.

Guest peter
Clive - 2007-06-24 4:35 PM

Unless the insulation is good you will get condensation (gallons of it) on the inside of the front screen and cab windows if you sleep inside during the winter in the UK.

Also look at Taylor Made screens. I believe both companies make similar products to similar quality but my only experience with Silver Screens was not good as the owner (at a show) went on and on slagging off the competition rather than promoting the positive aspects of his own product. This did not go down well with me! Both screens are bulky so you need to work out beforehand where you are going to store them - especially if they are wet when removed.

We don,t do much winter camping ourselves so just have DIY internal aluminium clad sun reflectors for the front cab.

Good luck with the quest.

C.

Actually Clive you'd be surprised how the Taylormade's can be squeezes into a small space. I've even put ours under the passenger seat on our Ducato base vehicle.

Mike - yes thats a good point, hadn't thought about that. If we can adapt/extend for size, we shall also need to think about adding a bigger 'pocket' I guess.

Peter - we tended to fold ours and store them in the small over cab box on our Rapido. The Burstner will have an 'open' type cab with samll cupboads/shelves around the sides. As the space under both cab seats is taken up with the electronics etc we shall need to find another storage space for them, but I would think they could be minimised with bungee type clips, and stiffed into those spaces. Seems a btter solution than storing under the rear seat boxes!

b6x - 2007-06-24 3:35 PM Hi all. What's peoples thoughts on these? Do they make a difference? Was thinking of buying a set of external screens for our van conversion for when it's really cold (as cant see Remis blinds doing much insulating).

Any thoughts on best make for a 2007 model Ducato?
Taylormade / SilverScreens?  And rough costs?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Hi Steve

We've had Silverscreens version on our vans for quite some time and have found them to be very effective. We have a Hymer with the inbuilt concertina screens but have always used the external screens. Our latest one has a "discreet" section, so that you can pull down the section that covers the front window screen.This allows light in during the day but not allow people to see in from the outside. Very discreet!!

Thai

Are they really worth it?

Here are some words and phrases that I associate with these things. Bulky, awkward, damp, ugly, nuisance to deploy, bigger nuisance to pack, inelegant, restrictive, imprisoning if needing to make a sharp nocturnal getaway, spacesuit, hello nefarious scumbag – I really am asleep inside, on-a-site-for-weeks-so-might-as-well-have-a-caravan, dirt-trap, what else can I buy for me van?, waste of cash.

I don’t use them. Don’t think I ever will.

crinklystarfish - 2007-06-25 10:05 AM

Are they really worth it?

Here are some words and phrases that I associate with these things. Bulky, awkward, damp, ugly, nuisance to deploy, bigger nuisance to pack, inelegant, restrictive, imprisoning if needing to make a sharp nocturnal getaway, spacesuit, hello nefarious scumbag – I really am asleep inside, on-a-site-for-weeks-so-might-as-well-have-a-caravan, dirt-trap, what else can I buy for me van?, waste of cash.

I don’t use them. Don’t think I ever will.

That's a very good description of most screens 8-) 8-) but have a look at the "Solar View" screen from Silver Screens.

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/solarview.html

It gives you an unrivalled feeling of security because the view out of the

cab is almost unrestricted from behind the screen cover, without anyone

outside being able to see in (as long as the cab is not "back-lit").

In an emergency you can drive the van without going outside to remove the screen first. We have caused panic a couple of times when we have repositioned the van with the screen on.

It also allows you to have the cab windows open to let in any breeze that's about.

It's claimed it will reflect 85% of the sun's heat. We have used it in Morocco, Turkey and the Canary Islands and we would not be

without it now. :-D :-D :-D

Just my opinion of course.

Don

Guest JudgeMental

I have the "taylormade" variety for my new Ford. and yes they are quite bulky but I have the room....

are they useful in the summer as well or not?

Hi Keith,

We have had a Burstner t-615 for 3 years. The Remis blinds don't do anything well! They don't keep out light, don't stop condensation and don't insulate the cab. We use them on the Continent when the weather is warm but in England we use Silver Screens which do all of the above very well. I also put them on when the van is laid up although I know some on this board don't advise this. We have not experienced any problems but we do have to clean the windscreen when we take them off after a prolonged period of use.

Hope this helps a bit.

Peter Goddard.

We have Taylormade externals on our Hymer - they are excellent in the winter at keeping the heat in without the problem of condensation, and are equally good in the summer at keeping the heat out. Front piece folds down to allow some light in if required.

Alan W

Hi b6x

I have recently bought some Taylormade External Screens for our Renault Luner, they are a very good fit with the drop down front panel, I decided for Externals when I read a report of Internal screens causing the heat of the sun to rebound on the windscreen and cause it to crack I dont know if this is possible in this country but it was worth a thought, and with my old van with internal screens I have experienced condensation.

I too decided on Taylormade after hearing Silverscreens slaging off the there competitors. i also have some internal screens that came with the van and I have never seen screens like them the inside part is lined with the same material as the curtains and match well with the interior, I intend to use external for the longer stays and internal for the short stays.

Terry

We had Silver Screens for our previous van and expecting a nice reception from them for even more business, I asked them at a recent show about screens for our Adria. Got a really frosty, couldn't-be-bothered reception, so it rather puts me off them now. Haven't tried Taylormade yet, but hoping they have a bit more interest and are a tad more pleasant to speak to than the miserable chap at the Silver Screens stand. Obviously he has more business than he really wants, so mine certainly wasn't needed.

We found them very effective though, and I would love to get a set for our Adria.

Laurie

JudgeMental - 2007-06-25 12:22 PM I have the "taylormade" variety for my new Ford. and yes they are quite bulky but I have the room.... are they useful in the summer as well or not?

Eddie, even though ours is a Silver Screens verison, we use it all the time, Very effective in the summer as well. We have the "Solar" version, where you can pull down the section that covers your front windscreen, leaving behind a fine mesh cover.This acts like a one way mirror. You can see out, but people cannot see in. Even at night, but you must NOT have any back light or else it dont work at night.!!But we just pull the front cover up again before retiring for the night.

Thai

Archived