French Aires guide in English

Don Madge

Just looking at my 2007 Aires de Services map & book. Can anyone translate the colour codes for me please?

Red; “Aire de services communale ou privee” – is that Parking with the slot machine facilities?

Orange; “Aire de services sur terrain de camping ou a proximite” – Parking with campsite nearbye?

Blue; “Aire de services sur autoroute” – Parking adjacent to motorways? Water tap?

Green; “Accueil chez les producteurs viticoles et fermiers” Whats that ?

Thanks.

Red: as said above, aire communale, these are your true aires, the ones provided by the local authorities. Privee, these are privately owned and can be supermarkets, mini motorhome campsites like the caravan club CL's or at restaurants.

Orange: This one is a little more dificault, often the service point is outside the municipal campsite, (AIRE EXTERIEURE) sometimes with good parking. on other occasions we have turned up at a campsite to find it has a service point inside the campsite (Aire interieure).

Blue = Motorway service stations, normally with a motorhome service point. It is these areas that people should avoid stopping overnight.

Green: viticoles = vineyards, fermiers = farmers. some will take any passing trade others appear to be France passion only. If you turn to page 234 you will see all the France Passion sites listed.

Chris

Thanks for extra detail. I have just done 3 month trip (Belgium, Suisse, Italy, France) but the Guide arrived couple of days after I had gone :D.

Off for extended tour of france in couple of weeks & want to cut expense of campsites.

To the best of my knowledge, the green symbol on the Camping-Car map relates exclusively to those farms, vineyards, etc. within the France Passion scheme. These places occasionally have a genuine aires de services facility that has been installed by the proprietor, but are generally best considered as 'one night stand' stop-overs.

Experienced UK France Passion members will know that, without the FP booklet to provide directions, the chances of locating an FP site based on the Camping-Car map or the place-listing in the "Guide Officiel" are pretty slim. In fact, even with the FP booklet, finding an FP site can sometimes be a voyage of discovery!

Knaus - 2007-07-04 4:49 PM

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the French Aires in English book will be updated yearly like the French one.

Work will start next month on the 2008 edition.

If you have any Aires you would like included please send the details plus a photo if possible to ask@vicariousbooks.co.uk or use the report form in the back of the book.

If your submission is accepted the publishers will send you a free copy of the new book.

Don

Archived