Ducato Diesel Fuel Pump

BRIMAL

I have a 2004 Ducato 2.8jtd Motorhome (bought from new), which has done 62k kms.

Just had it in for its 1st MoT and annual service, the garage reckons there’s a slight leak around the diesel fuel pump, which they reckon will need replacing at a cost of about 6-700 quid.

Contacted the dealer we bought this thru and they reckon they've never heard of a problem of this type before. Have searched previous posts on this and other forums and don’t seem to be anything there either.

Am going to see about a second opinion but would like to know is this a common fault or am I one of the unlucky few?

Any help would be grateful.

Tks Brian

PS Is it easy to get at the diesel fuel pump and whereabouts is it?

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum. First of all I assume we're talking about the injector pump (probably better known as the high pressure pump nowadays with common rail injection systems). Its mounted at the front of the engine and can be found below the turbo intercooler pipes. When they sday a "slight leak" exactly how bad is it? if it really is slight, as in a slightly damp mark near the pump then I wouldn't worry about it but would keep an eye on it. Its not something I've heard lots of reports of so can only assume its a fairly rare occurrence, quite possibly something George Collings would refer to as "sleepy van syndrome". Modern injection pumps (high pressure common rail pumps) are even more exacting in standards of cleanliness required when dealing with them than conventional pumps so I really wouldn't reccomend trying any repairs yourself. The other thing is that repairs will almost certainly be expensive.

I will be interested to see if any other owners have had similar problems.

D.

Tks for that, I havent been able to find out where the pump is as yet, have an idea now, so if it stops raining long enough I'll get underneath and have a look. Apparently the garage wiped it over but as I say havent been able to get under and have a look yet.

Doesnt seem to be much interest in this topic so perhaps its just a very rare thing and no one having experienced it.

Brian

To locate the pump:

open the bonnet and look down to your left just behind the bonnet slam panel. You will see two large bore hoses that go from the rear of the engine down to the intercooler at the front. Immediately below these hoses is the high pressure (injector) pump. you will at least need a torch and quite possibly need to remove the two turbo/intercooler hoses for decent access.

D.

Archived