Stuck in the Mud!

Hilandjerhenry

Hilandjerhenry - 2007-06-26 3:24 PM I am going to the British GP and will need to park on boggy grass. What are the best ways of avoiding getting stuck. Has anyone tried the ecomatting described in April's MMM? (?)

If you're going by car, a lot of the parking is now hard standing, if you're camping in the van and the weather doesn't change, get to know one of the local farmers and buy him a couple of pints on Saturday night.

Ive got an a/trail cheiftain , tag axle , so i always take peices of cut down bread case for front wheel grip , and cut down plank for the rear 4 wheels , touch wood ive been ok so far and i ralley all year round. *-)

Carry an electric tyre pump, and let your tyres down to 10 P.S.I. and creep out gentley. When I unfortunatley had a front wheel drive van for a short while, used that system and it worked fine. I am now back to rear wheel drive again, automatic, with L.S.D. back axle. Still have to use the head, and work through it carefully. "Don't rush in where angels fear to tread"

Ranger - 2007-06-27 12:36 AM

Carry an electric tyre pump, and let your tyres down to 10 P.S.I. and creep out gentley. When I unfortunatley had a front wheel drive van for a short while, used that system and it worked fine. I am now back to rear wheel drive again, automatic, with L.S.D. back axle. Still have to use the head, and work through it carefully. "Don't rush in where angels fear to tread"

Hello David,

Not sure which tyres you have fitted but may I suggest that you contact the tyre manufacturer to find out the minimum pressure the tyres should be driven on and over what distance and terrain. On my Michelin Agilis 81 that pressure is 26 psi to avoid folding and damaging the side wall.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike I forget what tyres I had on that 'van, but some one said 10 PSI was ok, and it was for the one time I got stuck. Usually park on 'pads' but this time it sunk in just driving across the open grass, so it was goodbye to front wheel drive and back to rear wheel drive again.

HI Jerry, I'll be their from friday evening to support Lewis, weve booked at the Silverstone Recreation site in the village, hoping it won't be so muddy, but unless this rain stops it could be a problem. I,ve got twin wheels and rear wheel drive so should be ok, but if you can take a couple of short planks to park on as already suggested it works great as long as you don't stop and pick em up until you on good ground. I'll be in Luffied C grandstand. Have a good weekend, should be a blinder

Usinmyknaus - 2007-06-28 7:52 AM

My Renault Master-based Knaus' autobox has a swicth on the dashboard for "snow/mud" conditions. I have no idea whether it works but may find out soon. Has anyone used the facility so far? Did it make any difference?

Bob

This switch will be a traction control system, usually nowadays they work through the ABS system. Each wheel has a speed sensor fitted and the central ABS ECU monitors each of the four wheel speeds. For ABS functions when the pedal is pressed the system will release the hydraulic pressure to any wheel that has a significantly lower speed than the others before re-applying the brakes to that wheel. Traction control does it the opposite way round and if either of the driving wheels is turning faster than its counterpart the traction system will apply braking force to the faster spinning wheel allowing the differential to transfer drive effort to the opposite wheel. This only works if one wheel has some traction. If both wheels spin the traction control system will alternately apply brakes to the two driving wheels but if they can't get any grip and both just spin then its useless.

D.

Archived