Gaslow Filler Fitting

rogerrichards

I am just about to fit a Gaslow single refillable bottle system into my Hymer B544 (1993).

I am undecided where to fit the filling kit. The easiest place would be in the gas bottle door, but feel it would look a little odd.

The other two areas are the skirt, seems to be ok but low down and a little flimsy and the rear of the filler would be exposed to the elements - or I could place it in the side of the van which would mean taking the rear of the filler under a seat storage area and drilling through into the gas box.

Anybody done this installation before and has any advice, I would be pleased to hear it (before I drill a huge 70mm hole in the van)!

Regards

Roger

Hi,

I don't know the method you are proposing for putting the filler into the main body, but if this involves routing or placeing of any part of the HIGH pressure pipes and fittings (the filler, filling pipe, the bottles etc) through or within the habitation area then I certainly wouldn't even think about it. as in my opinion you do need to keep all of the high pressure pipework and fittings withing a purpose made enclosure or certainly in a protected area away from the likelihood of damage, this would also include the filling point itself.

As for putting the filler into the gas locker door, there were problems with the early filler pipes leaking due apparently to either the way they had been fitted or the way they were constantly being pulled and pushed when the door was opened and closed when turning the bottles on and off. However, I fitted mine this way and I did take it to Gaslows head office several months ago when these problem were first raised, and they replaced the orginal hose they had supplied with a new style hose which from my viewing appears a lot stronger and more insulated than the orginal was. When they fitted this hose they stated that they felt that my installation (filler in the locker door) was now perfectly OK as there was plenty of free play within the locker which allowed the hose to coil and uncoil without impinging on any thing and it would be OK to continue normal use.

I do hope this helps, but if you don't have any knowledge in the Gas industry I would strongly suggest that you arrange for a qualified installer to fit the equipment for you. I would also suggest that you telephone Gaslow and discuss any proposals that you have and get them confirmed before you proceed. As no two installations are the same and updates to installation practices change all of the time, so please don't follow what they did with mine until you have confirmed it with Gaslow direct

Its better to be safe than sorry ?

Hi,

Gaslow now sell a series of brackets that allow the filler to be mounted actually within the locker itself. They're dear for what they are but it saves hogging through your bodywork.

Alternatively, there are much smaller and neater fillers available that only need a hole of about 30mm or so and this may allow other options that are currently unavailable because of the size of your current filler?

These, and many more fittings that Gaslow don't sell, can be found in several places, including CAK tanks, MTH, Autogas 2000 etc, etc.

Thanks for your advice. I have decided to mount the filler on a Gaslow bracket inside the gas box. This will have the benefit of not having the gas pipe moved at all when I open the door, and means I will not have to drill that 70mm hole.

As pointed out, the bracket is a ridiculous price of a few pence short of thirty quid. But in my mind I have deducted the cost of the 70mm hole cutter, a box of plasters and a great deal of stress!

Actually what finally decided me was that I realised I could easily take the system with me when I moved to a newer MH :-D

Hi,

Great you have sorted out a way that suits you. The only thing I would say is that I have read that some garages don't like people refilling bottles and the method you are going to adopt may open you up to this problem, as against a filling point fixed on the body/skirt/door makes the system look like a fully fitted system ?

Oh by the way you could always fit a round vent in place of the filling point if you fit it in the door when and if you move the equipment to another vehicle

hope this helps

rogerrichards - 2007-06-27 5:48 PM

Thanks for your advice. I have decided to mount the filler on a Gaslow bracket inside the gas box. This will have the benefit of not having the gas pipe moved at all when I open the door, and means I will not have to drill that 70mm hole.

As pointed out, the bracket is a ridiculous price of a few pence short of thirty quid. But in my mind I have deducted the cost of the 70mm hole cutter, a box of plasters and a great deal of stress!

Actually what finally decided me was that I realised I could easily take the system with me when I moved to a newer MH :-D

enodreven - 2007-06-27 6:24 PM

The only thing I would say is that I have read that some garages don't like people refilling bottles and the method you are going to adopt may open you up to this problem, as against a filling point fixed on the body/skirt/door makes the system look like a fully fitted system ?

Oh by the way you could always fit a round vent in place of the filling point if you fit it in the door when and if you move the equipment to another vehicle

Hmmm that is something I hadn't considered and the vent solution is a good idea.

I think I will install using the bracket and see how things go, If I come across any problems I can always revert to putting it in the door. I'll pop down to my local LPG station tomorrow to see what they say.

Again, thanks for your input.

Regards

Roger

I would agree that in the door is not a good idea.

Made a bracket up myself and mounted it in the locker. Not familiar with your motor home but should be able to fit.

With regards to a CORGI fitter, being polite, this is not require as you would need one every time you changed a normal bottle. The pipework is easy to connect and as I said in a previous posting, it was easier to fit than a SOG.

With regard filling, I have had no difficulties in this country. I have yet to venture abroad.

ps Just had a look at a GASLOW bracket that is fitted between two cylinders and I can see why they charge so much. My bracket was simply bolted to the gas box at the top and side

Just fitted a gaslow 11kg bottle in my motorhome.Fitted the filler in the locker with a L shaped bracket in top right hand corner of opening side.

Make sure you check all gas joints with soapy water for any leaks.I was suprised at that leaks when I thought they were tight joints.

Some garages may stop you filling in the UK if you open the locker door for filling and expose re-fillable removeable bottles. The surest way is to route the feed pipe out through the bottom vent and attach the filler to the side skirt. Then it looks the same as if it were a propperly fixed bulk tank and not a re-fillable bottle.

GASKIT35.jpg.b98de6c888694b76a5f2a822cba31300.jpg

GASKIT36.jpg.5b1f6f76a24ee3dbdf987fa16c88ccd7.jpg

BrianR - 2007-06-28 4:29 PM

Re the post about using the vent hole as the exit point for the pipe, surely this will block up the vent hole and stop it serving its essential purpose?

The high pressure hose is about half the diameter of the normal gas drop holes found in commercially produced motorhomes so will reduce its cross sectional area by approximately one third. In theory this loss of cross sectional area should be restored by the drilling of a new drop hole but in reality few will bother. Its probably not necessary anyway as the drop holes usually add up to more than the required ventilation. If I were to pass a gas hose, high or low pressure through the floor or wall of the gas locker I would make sure that it couldn't rub or chafe against any hard/sharp edges.

D.

Archived