Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis Trip

enodreven

Hi,

Has anyone traveled in there motorhome to see the Northern Lights or perhaps better known Aurora Borealis, we have been thinking of making trip to Norway in August and would welcome any advice,

Can you only see the Northern Lights at certain times of the year ? when,

What are the campsite prices like are they very expensive,

What is the price of food etc.

and i have been told that you need to catch ferries across the fjords are these very expensive our motorhome is 4000kg

any other advice would also be welcome

Guest JudgeMental

have been up to Lapland a few times but never further - I have read reports from people who have been there on MHF forum....

michele - 2007-06-27 12:46 PM

Brian,

Have to laugh at me showing my ignorance ! I have just asked my hubby on the first line of your post Whats the Northern lights is it Blackpool :D :D Needless to say he burst out laughing ..

Dumb Blonde or what :D

Dumb blonde and essex has a lot to do with it. :-D

I've done Norway (and other parts of Scandinavia) on my bike and can offer a few nuggets.

It will still be light well into the 'night' in August in Northern Norway, maybe not the best time to see the aurora?

Norway has 'everyman rules' which means you can camp anywhere as long as you are not within 100m of dwelling or on private land. You will have no problem at all wild camping, sites are not so adundant in the north but do exist.

It's not hideously expensive in general, the divide isn't as bad as it used to be.

Ferries are a way of life across the Fjords and as a result aren't expensive. They are also frequent and reliable.

Norwegians are affable and English is widely spoken. Tell them you love biathlon and are a fan of Ole Einar Bjørndalen and you will be welcomed with open arms everywhere.

There was an article quite recently about Norway on a budget in MMM, the back issue should be easy to get.

Above all, go. It will take your breath away.

Steve

It really is an inspiration, I've travelled to some lonely places but it's one of the very few where I've literally been stopped in my tracks, mouth agog, by incredible kilometre high waterfalls gushing over verdant fjord cliffs, and laid awake in my tent mesmerised by the haunting cries of Great Northern Divers mewing plaintively in the never-quite-dark midsummer nights.

If you really want to see the aurora, Late September to early November is best, but by this time it will be getting cold and camp sites will almost certainly be closed.

How can you die without trying though?

If you have the stones, go in midwinter and watch the greatest endurance athlete that ever walked the face of the planet do his thing.

Be alive.

hi enodreven

Ferry price upto 6M reasonable however cost doubles once over 6M. and over 8M (as I remember) it increases again.

Use the search option at top off page - select this forum, select 1 year date limit and set keyword as norway.

From list open the thread Norway - some useful info there.

When we went to Canada thought we would be 'up north' and see northern lights, but a check of map showed that Vancuver is roughly level with Paris and furthest north we got was Prince Rupert, roughly level with Hull, ah well maybe next time.

Hi, Roamer

I have checked some of the old threads and they are helpful, do you have a link to any of the Fjord Ferry companies and do you have any idea what the actual prices are as ours is 7.5 metre

Roamer - 2007-06-27 10:41 PM

hi enodreven

Ferry price upto 6M reasonable however cost doubles once over 6M. and over 8M (as I remember) it increases again.

Use the search option at top off page - select this forum, select 1 year date limit and set keyword as norway.

From list open the thread Norway - some useful info there.

Who was it that siad don't put off today what you can do ectect

Ok Brian who also was it that said perhaps we could get a CONVOY going

anyone interested I have not the brains to do it but I certainly would like to go before I,m in me box is anyone else intersted

Keep pushing michele; it would be a super trip.

For my own part I choose not to have many dealings with Homo sapiens in anything other than a virtual world. A strongly held alien-to-most biocentric ethic inevitably dictates that I’m very bad company.

I wish you the very best though and hope you can get it off the ground.

henry - 2007-07-01 3:22 PM

Hi, We could be interested, and just imagine the wealth of information available on such a trip for the nit wits like us!!!!!!!!!!

Mavis :-D

Mavis,

This shower on here 8-) can't even organise a get together at a UK show :-D :-D Norway your got to be joking :-D :-D

We've toured Norway twice once up to Nordkap :-D it's a wonderful experience, mid May six foot of snow either side of the road. 8-) 8-)

Don

Hi, Don

Do you have any of your famous write-ups on your trips to Norway as I would welcome a copy if you have

Brian

Don Madge - 2007-07-01 4:32 PM

Hi, We could be interested, and just imagine the wealth of information available on such a trip for the nit wits like us!!!!!!!!!!

Mavis,

This shower on here 8-) can't even organise a get together at a UK show :-D :-D Norway your got to be joking :-D :-D

We've toured Norway twice once up to Nordkap :-D it's a wonderful experience, mid May six foot of snow either side of the road. 8-) 8-)

Don

enodreven - 2007-07-01 5:23 PM

Hi, Don

Do you have any of your famous write-ups on your trips to Norway as I would welcome a copy if you have

Brian

Mavis,

Don

Brian,

I can't find them but see

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/496/30/

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/183/30/

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/401/30/

Don

Thanks Don

Don Madge - 2007-07-01 5:33 PM

enodreven - 2007-07-01 5:23 PM

Hi, Don

Brian

Mavis,

Don

Brian,

I can't find them but see

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/496/30/

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/183/30/

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/401/30/

Don

Archived