Ageing (well it is friday)

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

"Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions. "How old are you?" "I'm four and a half!" You're never thirty-six and a half. You're four and a half, going on five! That's the key.

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead. "How old are you?" "I'm gonna be 16!" You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16!

And then the greatest day of your life . . . you become 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony. YOU BECOME 21. YESSSS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk! He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There's no fun now, you're Just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40. Whoa! Put on the brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50 and your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn't think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to 60. You've built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it's a day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday!

You get into your 80s and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime And it doesn't end there.

Into the 90s, you start going backwards; "I Was JUST 92." Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half!"

May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!

HOW TO STAY YOUNG

1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctors worry about them. That is why you pay "them."

2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.

3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer's

4. Enjoy the simple things.

5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.

6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person, who is with us our entire llife, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.

7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.

8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

9 Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county; to a foreign country but NOT to where the guilt is.

10.Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away".

Hi Judgemental,

Excellent stuff, that really made me smile on a Friday. Also the attiude to life is so true.

Have added some favouries quotes of my own and hopefully others will follow suit.

Life is a challenge - Meet It

Life is a gift- Accept It

Life is an adventure - Dare It

Life is Sorrow - Overcome It

Life is a tragedy- Face It

Life is a game- Play It

Life is a Mystery- Unfold It

Life is a Song- Sing It

Life is an Opportunity - Take It

Life is a Promise - Fulfill It

Life is Love- Enjoy It

Life is Beauty- Praise It

Life is a Spirit - Realise It

Life is a Struggle- Fight It

Life is a Puzzle- Solve It

Life is a Goal - Achieve It

Life is a Journey- Complete It.

Challenges of life from the archives of the African Teachers' Association of S.A.

Yesterday is histoLife is a challenge - Meet It

Life is a gift- Accept It

Life is an adventure - Dare It

Life is Sorrow - Overcome It

Life is a tragedy- Face It

Life is a game- Play It

Life is a Mystery- Unfold It

Life is a Song- Sing It

Life is an Opportunity - Take It

Life is a Promise - Fulfill It

Life is Love- Enjoy It

Life is Beauty- Praise It

Life is a Spirit - Realise It

Life is a Struggle- Fight It

Life is a Puzzle- Solve It

Life is a Goal - Achieve It

Life is a Journey- Complete It.

Challenges of life from the archives of the African Teachers' Association of S.A.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present...

(Source unknown)

And lastly I will never forget a poster I saw when doing some work for UNICEF a few years back. It was a picture of a young child. Above the photo it said

" What do yo want to be when you grow up?"

Below the picture it said

"Alive"

As you say Judge, life is great

:-D :-D :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Err... it was something forwarded from my sister...

not my own work? :-D

Mark, it must be lonely up there with your legs dangling in the air!. On the opposite end of the seesaw from all the aggrieved Br****ill's custumers ;-)

JudgeMental - 2007-06-29 12:59 PM

You get into your 80s and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime And it doesn't end there.

Doesn't that rather depend on BOTH of you reaching your 80's?

Seriously though, great post - especially the "Throw out nonessential numbers" bit - I've never been very good at acting my age!

Even though I'm a firm believer (as you'd expect!) in life after death, I also quite like THIS life. My approach is, once you've sorted out where you stand on the "eternity" stuff, get on with this life, and make it as good as you can - for yourself and everyone else.

Thanks Judge!

Tony

(aka NON-judgemental - at least, I try to be, 'cos I'd rather leave it to someone who's much better at that stuff than I am!)

J9withdogs - 2007-06-29 9:01 PM Yes, you just re-register under another username :-D Ooops, that's another thread...
Oooh Ralph - surely that's not allowed? :-|

Be careful Janine - even though Frank is on holiday he has a couple of "minders" in Bolton looking after his interests...

I am 75 and try to keep doing everything that I did when I was younger, except I don't now ride bikes, big 1000 square fours, nor pedal type, nor do I stand on the roof of the 'van to scrub it, in case I fall off, but I have a go at everything else. My wife tells me I am in denial, am pathetic, and should act my age not my shoe size. The only good thing is I am a great grand father, but I have to watch out for Boy Scouts, they will help me across the road whether I want to go or not. I decided to change insurance companies for my car and motorhome, as SAGA was getting a bit too expesive. The cheapest was Co-op for the Motorhome, but normally will not insure any one over 73, but as I have been a customer for most of my life they waived that. A few other companies also had an age limit. Car hire is cut off at 70 unless one has ones own insurance. So don't get old!!!! P.S. don't believe those adverts about rubbing on that cream to stay young!!!!It still shows on your passport and driving licence.

Ranger - 2007-06-29 9:33 PM I am 75 and try to keep doing everything that I did when I was younger, except I don't now ride bikes, big 1000 square fours, nor pedal type, nor do I stand on the roof of the 'van to scrub it, in case I fall off, but I have a go at everything else. My wife tells me I am in denial, am pathetic, and should act my age not my shoe size. The only good thing is I am a great grand father, but I have to watch out for Boy Scouts, they will help me across the road whether I want to go or not. I decided to change insurance companies for my car and motorhome, as SAGA was getting a bit too expesive. The cheapest was Co-op for the Motorhome, but normally will not insure any one over 73, but as I have been a customer for most of my life they waived that. A few other companies also had an age limit. Car hire is cut off at 70 unless one has ones own insurance. So don't get old!!!! P.S. don't believe those adverts about rubbing on that cream to stay young!!!!It still shows on your passport and driving licence. ,

Ranger,

Sounds like you're doing a bloody site better than the rest of us, carry on and enjoy, take care.

A bit late for a friday but how about a Monday quote. My favourite quote is one that I would hope all motorhomers adopt!!!

It come from a well known chap called Hans Christian Anderson

" To travel is to live"

and we do!!!

J9withdogs - 2007-06-29 7:06 PM

Tony - are we allowed to keep coming back until we get it right? *-)

Not quite that simple I'm afraid Janine - although I'm amazed how many people like to think they can come round for another go.

Oddly enough, most men say "Next time I'm coming back as a woman," most women say "Next time I'm coming back as a man." The only exceptions are cat "owners" of both sexes, who know exactly where the easiest life is found!

Personally, if I thought life after death just consisted of one life after another in this world, I wouldn't be nearly as keen on it as I am!

Tony

Archived