Why don't the British like Aires?

Ralph

I realise that people on here do use French aires but I wonder why they seem so unpopular with many Brits?

In a month away I only came across a handful of GB plates but saw a lot on "proper" sites. One aire I stayed on near Rochfort had beautiful views over the sea but there were vans in the site nearby paying more and with no view.

Is it because of the propoganda that says you will be gassed, robbed etc.?

Hi, I do use Aires when i can't find a suitable campsite, but to be honest some of the prices that you can get a pitch for are so low that in a lot of cases it really doesn't seem worth using an Aire, example Beaumont Sur Sarth 8.5 euro which includes 6 amp hook up, hot showers, toilets, waste disposal, water and a level of security on the entrance now that's cheap ? and there are similar places all over France, or you can us an ACSI card and its never more than 14 euro and sometimes less, why would anyone want to use a Aire in preference to a French campsite is perhaps another question.

Oh and by the way a lot of Aires ARE NOT FREE, albeit a lot of people do move off before the person who calls to collect, arrives ?

Guest JudgeMental

One factor other then the security issue is possibly a cultural thing - as we don't have them here.

Plus staying on what is essentially a car park is not everyone idea of a holiday...

Aires tend to be used by an older age group, not really popular with family's. My teenage children don't like them at all - but will tolerate them whilst traveling as stop overs

They prefer the comfort and security of a campsite with decent facilities. but once kids stop coming we will revert to a more touring style of holiday and use them more.

its been said before that its a bit peculiar that people spend a lot of money on vans and then seem reluctant to pay for sites.

I think the Aire system is fantastic, and a great credit to the European communities that support them.

I assume you mean 'proper' Aires, and not the horrible car parks at the side of autoroutes?

If so, the Judge is right. Few Brits. are aware of them, or if they are, mistrust them because they're such a cultural gulf from anything in the UK. When in France they are virtually all that we use. We too notice a distinct lack of UK registered vehicles, but to be honest, I don't consider that a bad thing.

I asked about campervan parking in Verona recently and was directed to an aire near the train station. It turned out to be barrier token entry and exit at 10€ per day. I arrived at 6ish PM on a Friday and thought leaving before 6 Monday would be €30 ....... no! 40€, it was obviously 10 per day or part of a day. Nightmare trying to get 40€ in 1 and 2 denomination coins.

The aire was clean and appeared quite new. I actually had a great Saturday evening drinking home made stuff' with the Italian guys, but my point is, €10 per day or part day is expensive for 'parking'.

My own personal feelings on aires, are they are great for a brief pull in for overnight stays when in transit to further destinations, but I do think some use them as a substitute for campsites, and to me that is not a holiday break at all. Some I have stayed on the vans were very close together because of being busy, and the thought of say a fire, would be a disaster to all near by. Give me a nice site with trimmed perimeter edges to the pitch, it does not have to have swimming pools or supermarkets on site. Some aires I have seen in use are nothing more than dust blown car parks or worse still, waste ground. chas

Some interesting takes are emerging. 

Like most things in life it's never 'on a plate' and there is a bit of savvy involved in picking good ones. I'd never through choice stay on a 'dodgy' looking one, or cram alongside someone else. I'd just move on to the next, or discretely wild camp.  

There are plenty of free ones to choose from too, so I don't see the validity in getting into any 'value for money' kind of debate. If payment is a factor, don't use paying ones, simple really. 

It's a relevant point regarding the style of holiday though and something I hadn't really considered. We move on very frequently, never staying more than two nights in the same place, and more often than not just the one. That's why we don't have a caravan. 

If we were to have 'staying' tendencies then I'd head for a proper site every time, and probably buy a caravan too. 

The concept is fantastic, but there's a little work involved in getting it right. It's daft to try to argue they are in any way comparable to a proper site; they simply aren't intended to be used this way. If anyone tries to use them for a stay of more than a couple of days, then there's no validity in being critical. 

Square peg and round hole.

My modified take is: As a Brit. you need to know about them, you need to trust that they really are legitimate, you need to have a nose for good ones, and then be able to find them! They also then must have vacancies / be suitable when you get there. Perhaps most importantly, you have to have a Mobilehome mindset and not one of arriving and spending a couple of hours setting up your awning, windbreak, barbie, outdoor table, travel croquet set, rotating washing line... add your own ad nauseum. 

Given the prerequisites, I suppose the answer is obvious. You need to be a particular kind of Brit, a tiny minority type of Brit, to favour them.

crinklystarfish - 2007-06-30 10:52 AM

">There are plenty of free ones to choose from too, so I don't see the validity in getting into any 'value for money' kind of debate. If payment is a factor, don't use paying ones, simple really

Not if you want to spend a couple of days in a nice town like Verona there arn't B-)

We have been using aires for many years now and use them mainly when we are in transit or touring an area, we do not usually stay for more than two nights often moving off in the day to tour.

This is one of our favorites, free electricity, water and dump station.

Anybody recognise it (?)

P5110009.jpg.4ca74be9c422b0b756eebbad470db69b.jpg

"Not if you want to spend a couple of days in a nice town like Verona there arn't" B-)

Which reinforces my central argument. It's the journey and discovery that are important to me and that's what Aires serve well. The destination is not terribly important, in fact I never have one. If I specifically wanted to 'do' a town (which would incidentally never happen), I'd be happy to pay to specifically park, or go in by bike, or train, or bus...

I think having a specific destination is perhaps an argument for not having a mobile home?

Guest JudgeMental
Ventoux - 2007-06-30 11:02 AM

crinklystarfish - 2007-06-30 10:52 AM

">There are plenty of free ones to choose from too, so I don't see the validity in getting into any 'value for money' kind of debate. If payment is a factor, don't use paying ones, simple really

Not if you want to spend a couple of days in a nice town like Verona there arn't B-)

what do you expect in the middle of a city?

10 euro -£7.00! you consider this expensive to stay overnight?

try parking in London and see how you get on....

Hi All,

Had to smile reading this thread, currently on an Aire at Lac de Dur near St Dizier and visiting the surrounding area, been on there for two nights will probably spend one more before moving on (on our fourth week away now).

You know what if I could spend the rest of my life with the view we have here from the free Aire and facilities with the lack of GB vans I would be more than happy.

Sorry to seem a bit anti but my view is leave well alone let those don't that wish to, stay away, it will leave more room for us and those that do!

Bas

Interesting stuff.

Firstly, Clive mentions the aires on autoroutes. I've never used them personally and I admit that stories have put me off them. And anyway, who wants to sleep on a motorway?

A lot of people seem to assume that aires are free or cheap. Some are. But that's not the point. It's not about money. They are crowded sometimes but they have one thing in common, they are all full of motorhomes. Like minded people to chat to (OK my French or German doesn't permit too much chat) and it's just like going to motorhome rallies. You see different vans, different people etc. On sites I find people don't talk as much. We actually prefer to find a nice aire and use a site if there are none in the area.

I don't travel exclusively on aires but mix them with sites (yes I use ACSI and I think it's one of the best £6.50 investments I've made) But we never stay in one place for more than 3 nights, that's what MH'ing is about for me.

But each to their own. I'm certainly not trying to persuade anyone. Just enjoy your travels wherever you stay.

Prefer to use Aires and would love to travel around more sampling them. However because hubby is such a beach bum we frequently end up in Leucate. Very windblown but fabulous sea views and brilliant beach. very cheap at 6euro including use of next door campsite showers. Municipal campsite also v cheap but no sea views. What really, really irritates me is folk who wild camp use the Aire to dump their waste and replenish water, sneaking in when reception is closed. They arrive on mopeds etc with containers strapped on. I suppose at least they aren't dumping it where they are pitched but why can't they pay the couple of euros to dump etc?

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2007-06-30 12:00 PM

Hi All,

Had to smile reading this thread, currently on an Aire at Lac de Dur near St Dizier and visiting the surrounding area, been on there for two nights will probably spend one more before moving on (on our fourth week away now).

You know what if I could spend the rest of my life with the view we have here from the free Aire and facilities with the lack of GB vans I would be more than happy.

Sorry to seem a bit anti but my view is leave well alone let those don't that wish to, stay away, it will leave more room for us and those that do!

Bas

Well done! sounds like you are having a wonderful time and best wishes.

completely of topic..

how are you connected internet wise?

We were at Lac de Dur - just a couple of weeks ago, and there weren't any Brits there then, beautiful place and all for nothing.

We do stay at campsites 'cause it is good to stop for a day or two and settle - sit in the sun - have a barbi etc explore on the bikes - and a swim if there is a pool.

If we want to explore for the day in a touristy place - like Honfleur we get there early - well before midday if possible and park up and go, someplaces like Lac de Dur are good for staying longer if allowed but some others are really only fit for parking for the night!

So it's horses for courses - campsites, aires, wild - they all have their uses.

Carol

I know I've banged on about this before, but I guess it's worth repeating.  The word "aire" merely means area.  It is what comes after it that makes the important difference. 

To start off, there are the "aires de services" - motorway service areas.  These are for taking on food, fuel, and water.  A small number of these, still on the motorways, are also designated "aires de services camping-cars".  These also have a water supply point, dump station for grey and black water, and generally, a coin or token operated timed electrical point.  In addition there are the "aires de repos".  These are those picnic spots with toilets that French motorways have, and ours don't.  The important thing about all of these "aires" is that they are intended only for short term, rest and refresh, type stops, and not for overnight parking.  They should never be used for overnight parking, and the French police strongly advise against doing so.  It mostly on these "aires" that robberies, and the celebrated gas attacks, take place.  Overnighting is not, however, illegal and if you've driven for so long that you have to stop, apart from the poor planning, it is safer to stop and rest than to continue.  However, while safer than driving when tired, it remains a risky option.

There are, of course, "aires de pic-nique" along many of the N and D roads.  These are to be used as their name suggests, and are not for overnighting.  If you do, you may be left in peace, or you may be moved on.  However, you may not "camp" on these, which broadly means to the French police, having anything more than your tyres, or the soles of your feet, in contact with the ground.  No awning out, no disembarked camping chairs or tables.  Strictly, you should use only the tables and benches provided.  However, at a crowded meal break discretion should generally prevail so, if you are seated at your own table, on your own chairs, and the van isn't causing an obstruction, you'll probably be left in peace.  Anyhow, these generally being in rural areas, and in France, the local police will all be busy with their own lunches!

Finally (I think) there are the "aires de services camping-cars".  These are the true "aires" that French motorhomers refer to, and that the French guides to aires list.  However, even these fall into categories - it's never simple, is it?   There are the aforementioned "aires" on motorways, the "aires sur autoroutes" in the guides, designated for motorhome use, so we've "done" those.

Then there are the aires privée, and the aires municipales.  These are places where you can generally take on water and dump waste, and may be able to use a hook-up.  Some are free and some charge.  At some you can only park, and there are no services.  Some resemble mini-campsites, with toilets and showers.  Some are attractively laid out and landscaped, others are just car parks for motorhomes.  Some you can spend several days at, others one night only, on others again you may empty wastes etc, but not stop overnight.  To unravel all these exciting alternatives, you need a guide of some sort.  Oh, and finally, they come and go, so may not exist when you arrive!

Then there are the "aires sur terrain de camping, ou a proximite".  As varied as the preceding ones, these, as their title suggests, are on, or near, campsites.  If you stay the night you may get a special "camping-car" tariff, or you may be charged the standard pitch rate.  The ones near campsites may allow parking, as opposed to overnighting, or both.  The aires inside campsites are really just for passing access to services, usually for a modest charge, so if you linger, you will be supposed to be staying and will probably be approached for payment accordingly.

Finally there are the "aires chez producteurs viticoles et fermiers".  Still highly varied, almost invariably for overnight stops: a sort of France Passion for motorhomes.  May, or may not, have services, but will almost invariably have wine, cheese, foie gras, chickens, preserved fruit, or whatever, for sale as a part if the (unwritten) deal.  Most will charge, but may waive the charge if you buy generously.  Most will offer "tasters", so if you don't intend buying, make this clear before you taste.  Most will appreciate a small purchase and many will accommodate your needs if you explain you can't accommodate the standard quantity.

So, stay off the autoroute aires, and enjoy the others!  Why don't the Brits use them?  Well, from the number of enquiries on here, I think many do.  However, there are 6,500 or more of them all across France, which is a big country, so your chances of meeting more than the odd Brit are probably fairly slim.

Have fun!

michele its south of St Dizier - get onto www.viamichelin.com and do a search for saint dizier 52100 - on the map it's called Lac de Der Chantcoq - it's a man made lake like Rutland water - it was made to control the flooding of the surrounding areas and 3 villages/towns were submerged Chantcoq being one of them.

Its much larger than Rutland water though - about 55k perimeter. You could spend at least a week in that area and not see all the lovely sights.

It's on our list for a longer stay.

950892335_sunsetatlacdederchantcoq.jpg.58fefac70829134ecded9f505a99f362.jpg

carolh - 2007-06-30 2:44 PM michele its south of St Dizier - get onto www.viamichelin.com and do a search for saint dizier 52100 - on the map it's called Lac de Der Chantcoq - it's a man made lake like Rutland water - it was made to control the flooding of the surrounding areas and 3 villages/towns were submerged Chantcoq being one of them. Its much larger than Rutland water though - about 55k perimeter. You could spend at least a week in that area and not see all the lovely sights. It's on our list for a longer stay.

Please excuse me for being a pedant, but it is actually the Lac du Der, Chantecoq.  Only small differences, I know, but possibly enough to defeat a search.

It just is to the West of the D384, approximately 15km south of St Dizier.  Page 45 of your Michelin 1:200,000 Atlas, square D4, for those suitably equipped!

It was also much nicer before they built the rattly metal causeway to Giffaumont-Champaubert!  Good campsite there as well as an aire, Camping le Presq'ile de Champaubert, just turn West off the D384 at Braucourt, onto the D153 and follow that to the lake.

Good pic Carol!

We use various free & cheap stopovers a lot nowadays (and sorry Brian, we persist in calling them "Aires" although I know it's not strictly right).

It all depends what you want at the time. Most of our holidays are very nomadic; the places we go to during the day are what matter to us, all we usually want at night is somewhere legal, safe and cheap to sleep etc., before we move on to whatever we find the next day. Doesn't need to be pretty, or well-equipped.

A couple of times during each trip we'll go to a "real" site - usually when the laundry starts to pile up! Then we'll stay 2 or 3 nights, sort everything out, and take some "downtime" reading or whatever.

Don - I think the place in your picture is at Sadroc, north of Brive. We stayed there last July on our way to Les Eyzies. (I seem to remember the hedge at the far side in your picture was bigger - maybe it's been cut back, or grown, depending whether your pic was before or after our visit!) Couldn't find a restaurant in the village, so we "made do" in the van, and replenished our larder in the morning from the mini-supermarket which you can see the back of at the right of your picture. Very helpful shopkeeper. We didn't venture up the hill behind, as you must have done to take this picture. Do I win the prize??

Tony

Archived