Why don't the British like Aires?

Ralph

Brian

you can be as pedantic as you like :-D I think I have spelt it differently each time - du, de, der, dur you name it I have used it :$ I can manage the lac and chantcoq - the singing cock - hey ho

have you stayed there too

nice to get it right though

Carol

Tony Jones - 2007-06-30 4:00 PM

Don - I think the place in your picture is at Sadroc, north of Brive. We stayed there last July on our way to Les Eyzies. (I seem to remember the hedge at the far side in your picture was bigger - maybe it's been cut back, or grown, depending whether your pic was before or after our visit!) Couldn't find a restaurant in the village, so we "made do" in the van, and replenished our larder in the morning from the mini-supermarket which you can see the back of at the right of your picture. Very helpful shopkeeper. We didn't venture up the hill behind, as you must have done to take this picture. Do I win the prize??

Tony

Tony,

You got right :-D the photo was taken on 3rd July 2005 here's a shot in the other direction

Don

P5110008.jpg.f545472165f4f48bfff5cc8c751e1b46.jpg

Ralph:

I have to tell you that an 'aire' that would (apparently) be attractive to you -"full of motorhomes. Like minded people to chat to....just like going to motorhome rallies" - would be our idea of Hell. I suspect that many UK motorcaravanners would share our view, which might explain why you encounter so few of them at the aires on which you stay.

As you rightly say - "each to their own".

Being, like our new premier, 'prudent and parsimonious' Cherry & I always stay on M.S.A.s when 'enroute' to our destination. I do not have a problem with security, noise or being cramped in as we only stay from, say, late dinner to late breakfast, a matter of some 14 hours. I always know where to find an M.S.A. where I may not find a camping site off route. (I know that begs the answer 'buy a Sat-Nav!!' (see other postings of mine). I do not feel we are 'sleeping on a motorway' as in most places you can position ones self as far back as is possible from the carriageway. (and sleeping on the motorway is down right dangerous!!!) As I always say if you are tired you can sleep anywhere!!

Regards, Mike.

Tony Jones - 2007-06-30 4:00 PM We use various free & cheap stopovers a lot nowadays (and sorry Brian, we persist in calling them "Aires" although I know it's not strictly right).

I'm not quarreling with the use of the term at all, Tony, the French use it all the time!  It is just a kind of short-hand. 

The problem is that people see or hear it, and then drive down an autoroute and see a signpost for the "Aire de Hardivilliers" (to pick one at random) assume this is the kind of "aire" everyone has been on about, and it ain't.  And, I don't know how you overcome that, but we need to try, because far too many people are taking risks they are unaware of and so can't manage.

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2007-06-30 7:17 PM

Oh god I have lost it now

Do you mean, as in “lost the plot” – don't know what’s going on OR “lost your temper”. If it is your temper, may I volunteer for a bit of rough and tumble - as I like nothing more than a good old wrestle with a gorgeous lady thing.... :-D

Brian’s trying to point out that motorway Aires can be unsafe and a risk. And the uninformed can be unaware of this. As in, not aware of different types of Aires.....

Thanks Judge lost the plot hubbys trying very hard to get me drunk on Cider I would have you from the FROME VALLEY very nice it is I bought some ready for me trip ! I want to do Empress's Pork in Apple cider .

He made me drink it instead wil have to go and byu mroe now.

Yes I follow msot of it Brian you should explain to people the different tpyes of Aires's Thank you

Judge hubbys says you can have me :D :D

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2007-06-30 8:04 PM

Judge hubbys says you can have me :D :D

Will Just grab my wresling boots and I'll be on my way! :-D

Just lay oft the "easy rider" till I get there... *-)

Brian,

Perhaps your, very valid, points are partly the answer to my question. It's all pretty daunting to a beginner.

Incidentally someone mentioned that a lack of French might be a reason for avoiding aires. In my case it was the reason I started to use them as when I first went to France I was terrified of not understanding so I went to aires as it meant I didn't have to deal with receptionists at camp sites. And anyone who tells you "don't worry they all speak English" is wrong :-S

Archived