European propane connectors & dump stations

Avignon

I'm shipping my US made Canadian registered VW/Winnebago Rialta to Europe (via Bremerhaven) this summer for a bit of touring.

1)When I did this last (in the mid-late 1990s), my Canadian propane connectors were the same as those I found in Germany & Belgium. In NL, France & Spain we had to use adaptors, but the stations usually had them (I carried a full set, but never had to use my own (!) For instance, I could fill my tank without an adaptor at a petrol station on the autobahn on the south side of Brussels).

My current RV has this same connector (standard in North America).

Is this connector still used, or have their been changes? (Eg. I see references to "old acme fillers", but am unsure if that is what I have &, if they are "old", have they been changed to some new EU standard?)

I have to empty the propane tank before shipping,so I'll be looking to refill in Germany ASAP.

2) my RV does not have "cassettes" for waste grey & black water. I have 2 fixed tanks and a hose fitting for dumping into a sanitary station in the ground. From my reading, it appears that such "dump stations" are more common now in Europe than in the past - is this true & if so, how do I find them?

Thanks,

Frank in the Colonies

Avignon - 2007-06-30 1:01 AM

I'm shipping my US made Canadian registered VW/Winnebago Rialta to Europe (via Bremerhaven) this summer for a bit of touring.

1)When I did this last (in the mid-late 1990s), my Canadian propane connectors were the same as those I found in Germany & Belgium. In NL, France & Spain we had to use adaptors, but the stations usually had them (I carried a full set, but never had to use my own (!) For instance, I could fill my tank without an adaptor at a petrol station on the autobahn on the south side of Brussels).

My current RV has this same connector (standard in North America).

Is this connector still used, or have their been changes? (Eg. I see references to "old acme fillers", but am unsure if that is what I have &, if they are "old", have they been changed to some new EU standard?)

I have to empty the propane tank before shipping,so I'll be looking to refill in Germany ASAP.

2) my RV does not have "cassettes" for waste grey & black water. I have 2 fixed tanks and a hose fitting for dumping into a sanitary station in the ground. From my reading, it appears that such "dump stations" are more common now in Europe than in the past - is this true & if so, how do I find them?

Thanks,

Frank in the Colonies

Hi Frank,

These are the adapters that are available in the UK for filling in Europe.

http://www.autogas.co.uk/shop.php?id=1127441639

I don't know what type of fitting you have on your van so I can advise on what one you will need.

There are many more "Dump stations" then there were in the 90's.

Some of them are badly positioned and using them is almost impossible at times.

If you plan to stay on sites you should not have too many problems dumping.

If you plan to do any "Boondocking" you might have to invest in a guide like Camperstop Europe http://www.vicarious-shop.co.uk./view_product.php?c_id=4&sc_id=&p_id=8 Camper-stops are places exclusively for motorhomes encouraging stopping overnight, often for free.

Some are in Idyllic locations, nestled in quaint hamlets and in the suburbs of capital cities. Most have water and toilet dumps, some even have free electric.

I hope your trip goes well.

Don

Thanks, Don-

The Autogas page was very useful - I'm sure, from reading through the descriptions, that I have a 1" 3/4 Acme fitting.

We do use a combination of stellplatzen/aires & full campgrounds. I've gleaned a lot of current info on them from reading threads on this forum (thanks all!). We used France Passion as well, last time was in 1999.We'll simply ensure the right mix of "boondocking" & full service sites. As long as dumpsites are available, we'll find them.

Frank

Brian Kirby - 2007-06-30 7:29 AM

Frank

As you've been before, I assume you don't need mains power, already have the same 230V equipment as in Europe, or have a step down transformer if not?

Thanks,Brian- yes I have purchased a heavy duty voltage converter/transformer and am installing it at the electric entry point to the RV. I did a similar conversion on my last 2. I have a Euro-plug on the converter, but will have to purchase the blue campground plug and extension cords in Germany.

If you have a continental two pin converter lead, to connect your Europlug (by which I assume you mean the blue, three round pin, 16A connector) to those site connections still using continental two pin sockets, bring it with you!  There are still quite a few that have not yet installed the latest gear.

Brian Kirby - 2007-06-30 11:03 AM

If you have a continental two pin converter lead, to connect your Europlug (by which I assume you mean the blue, three round pin, 16A connector) to those site connections still using continental two pin sockets, bring it with you!  There are still quite a few that have not yet installed the latest gear.

Brian- no all I have so far is the European 2 prong plug on my voltage converter.

Since I can't buy any of these cables or plugs here, when I get to Germany, I intend to buy or make a cable that will adapt this plug to the blue 3-pin "camping" plug. Then I intend to buy a combination of extension cords/adaptors that will allow me to plug into either the blue 3-pin or the older 2-pin. I found the same variation in plugs in campings the last time we did this.

Now - where is the best place to look for these items? (here we have large hardware stores called Home Depot, etc., which is where I would look in Canada or the USA.)

Thanks,

Frank

You'll need to sniff out a motorhome or caravan accessories shop, possibly attached to a dealership.  I don't personally know of any in Germany, so I can't suggest, but there will be plenty around.  I'm sure anyone who know of one will let you know.  Presumably one near Bremerhaven?

Don't know if this guy can help http://www.reisemobil-miete.de/ Haven't spotted his precise location but he seems to be within 20Km of Bremerhaven, and appears to have an accessories shop.

Hi Frank;

The following link is a German website and is excellent for searching out LPG stations in Germany.

http://www.gas-tankstellen.info/menu.php?language=en_US

A search brings up 2 in Bremerhaven...

One at Georgestrasse 85 - listed as open

One at Hoeblestrasse 26 - listed as opening in March 07

Both listed as 'acme' connectors.

Its handy for other European countries as well.

pete

• 2 weeks later...

One of the main german chains is Fritz Berger, also has a chain in France and starting up in Switzerland and Austria.

http://www.fritz-berger.de/fbonline/__shop__/page/home_page/detail.jsf

But be advised that not a lot of English is spoken.

For dump stations you could check out ADAC who do produce a leaflet on the subject.

http://www.adac.de

again you will need translation.

;-)

For dump stations you could check out ADAC who do produce a leaflet on the subject. http://www.adac.de again you will need translation. ;-)

What is German for "dump station" (i.e. - what is the title of the leaflet?) I tried several variants on the ADAC page to no avail.

Is this leaflet online or available only at ADAC offices?

Thanks!

Frank

Archived