one for dave ducato g/box

pagey

Hi Ken, as I recall yours is a fairly new Ducato. If it has the lift collar on the gearstick for reverse then the fifth gear issue is no longer a problem, that only occurred (to the best of my knowledge) on the earlier gearboxes (reverse gear was right and down, new box is left and up). you could put an additive in if you feel its worth it but I haven't heard any reports of whether or not it would prevent the problem with the earlier 'box anyway. Purely down to personla choice I'm afraid.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-06-30 9:10 PM

Hi Ken, as I recall yours is a fairly new Ducato. If it has the lift collar on the gearstick for reverse then the fifth gear issue is no longer a problem, that only occurred (to the best of my knowledge) on the earlier gearboxes (reverse gear was right and down, new box is left and up). you could put an additive in if you feel its worth it but I haven't heard any reports of whether or not it would prevent the problem with the earlier 'box anyway. Purely down to personla choice I'm afraid.

D.

That's a very useful piece of info Dave and since I'm a left and up man something of a relief.

Hope you avoided the flooding down there.

Vernon

Vernon B - 2007-07-01 4:16 PM

davenewell@home - 2007-06-30 9:10 PM

D.

That's a very useful piece of info Dave and since I'm a left and up man something of a relief.

Hope you avoided the flooding down there.

Vernon

You're very welcome Vern. We're not too bad here as we live on top of a hill at about 600 feet above sea level, if we ever get flooded the majority of this county is in deep do do! Coalbrookdale down in the Ironbridge gorge was a bit rough last Monday though.

D.

We did some scientific tests on oil addatives at the MVEE at Chobham in the axle of a commercial van. Additives included Wyns, STP and Molyslip.

Wyns increases the viscosity which results in increased losses and a hotter running axle.

The only one that actually increased the efficiency was Molyslip as this caused a lowering of the running temperature. Unfortunately you cannot put Moly in gearboxes as it screws up the syncromesh operation.

clives post as just reminded me that alices brandy is a bit short of addatives at the moment - and guess who forgot to pick some up at Quick-save this week. still, good excuse to get out the tractor tomoorow. thats if i survive tonight of course

fiery fred

Ive now covered about 55000kl & my 5th gear is still intact in my Ducatto,I'm absolutely convinced that the cause of premature failier is using it at too lower speed.Ive been in with other drivers when they have slowed down with the traffic flow to a much lower speed then accelerated away again still in the 5th gear,not bothering to change down.When I'm driving at 55mph according to my speedo my GPS unit tells me that I'm only doing 42mph & that is the most accurate I'm sure.As far as additives are concerned I have used Wynns years ago & found that it made gear changing difficult in the Winter because it was so thick.I did use Molyslip for many years in variouse cars & found it very good.Im sure that using the lower gears when necessary instead of attempting to accellerate away without changing down is the answer to avoid this failier of 5th.

Archived