Trauma boiler

mark wales

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Mark.

In 2008 Hymer were marketing two motorhome models that had the "522" reference number.

One was the Van 522 (example here)

image.jpeg.d3d9e7d9d28e4307daeee38e0b931e58.jpeg

and the other was the Exsis i-522 (example here)

image.jpeg.af6f0979b031cb615ea2dc0185bdb90c.jpeg

Both models were built on a Ford Transit platform chassis, but the Exsis i-522 was significantly more expensive and more complex.

It would be helpful to know which 522 model you have bought, but I shall assume it is a Van 522 as the Exsis i-522 was much rarer.

If the water system of a Van 522 follows Hymer's normal practice, there will be a 'submersible' water-pump inside the motorhome's fresh-water tank, and the pump will be turned on or off using a switch (or button) on the main Hymer-marked control-panel that is commonly located over the habitation area's entrance door. I THINK this is the control-panel fitted to a Van 522.

image.jpeg.1483ed25bbd6e05e6b0f69546135b589.jpeg

Water-hose pipework will lead from the pump to the water outlets (taps and shower) with each outlet having two hoses connected to it - one hose delivering cold water and the other delivering hot water. When the water-pump is the submersible type, there will USUALLY be a pair of small switches ("micro-switches") on each of the outlets - one switch for the cold water feed and the other switch for the hot water feed.

OK - you've filled your motorhome's water tank and turned on the motorhome's 12-volt system (switch/button on control-panel) and the water-pump (switch/button on control-panel).

If you now open a water outlet - say the kitchen-sink tap - what happens? Does absolutely nothing happen, or can you hear the water-pump running but no water comes from the tap? Or does cold water come from the tap, but not hot water? Or what?

As you have mentioned the Truma heater, I'm guessing that no hot water is the problem and - if that's the case - the likelihood is that the water system's drain-valve is open.

This drain-valve will be in the hose between the water-pump and the heater and can be a simple manual valve or an 'automatic' type designed to open in cold weather and protect the heater from frost damage. An automatic drain-valve SHOULD be quite close to the heater and (in 2008) might be an electric version with a red knob on its top or a manually-operated valve with a blue knob on its top (photos below).

image.jpeg.b81e8ae2f9e42a28625885135514dbdb.jpeg

image.jpeg.2800214f028d8cc76fa0a1de4b0fc923.jpeg

When the water-tank has been filled and the water-pump turned on and is running, if this drain-valve has not been closed a) the heater will not fill with water and b) water will pour out beneath the motohome from the drain-valve's own narrow pipe that leads through the floor. So check if there's a puddle underneath...

(Do you have a Hymer handbook for your motorhome?)

Thank you derek the van is the 522 

I see the drain valve it must be open 

Took it away for the first time on weekend there was water coming from underneath i can't have the pump on couldn't see it on controls will have another look had all paperwork handbook the mrs put it away cant find it thanks for taking time for that info 

If your motorhome's drain-valve is the type with a BLUE knob on top, this video provides a reasonably good explanation on how the valve is operated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X41lI-lBdY

This link may also be useful

https://www.adventurelv.com/truma-frostcontrol-valve-guide/#:~:text=The Truma FrostControl automatic safety,boiler through a drainage socket.

If the drain-valve is the type with a RED knob on top (a shown below) the valve is CLOSED by lifting the red knob until it clicks in place, and OPENED by pressing the knob downwards.

image.jpeg.f2459ec97dd2d18a0fa12c5142fac3e3.jpeg

If the drain-valve is a simple manually-operated valve, It is OPEN when the lever on its top is upright (as here)

image.jpeg.9c54d7b9a52864d43ef41754898c879b.jpeg

and, when the lever is down 'flat', the valve will be C:LOSED.

If you have water appearing below the van, then it's likely one or more of the dump valves are open.

The most likely culprit is one of the variations of boiler dump valve Derek has highlighted.

It seems unlikely to be a symptom of the fresh water tank valve not being closed, but a view underneath should give a good idea of the approximate location (and a clue to what is above).

Be aware that Hymer have, in some models, been in the habit of fitting additional drain valves in the pipework (on mine there is a thumbwheel valve in each of the hot and cold pipework, next to the internal underfloor handle for the waste water drain).

It is not unknown for vans not to have a pump isolation switch, and you seem to think there isn't one on your control panel. Again, however, my (newer) Hymer has the pump switch, clearly marked, in the bathroom cabinet!), so it's worthwhile looking around the slightly less obvious locations.

A further question, are you sure the pump isn't running? If water is only dumped when you are trying to use/pump water, then it is most likely that it is running but you're not hearing it - water will generally not reach the taps if the (lower) drain point is open.

If you can't find a pump switch, try all the taps in succession (drains closed) to eliminate the possibility of a tap microswitch failure (it's unlikely all are borked).

If there is still no success, then it isn't uncommon for submersible pumps to stick or fail - at this point I'd want to check for 12v at the pump feed above the tank, and if it's present, lift the pump and give it a sharp tap.

I'm reasonably sure the Hymer Van 522 was fitted with the Schaudt IT95 control-panel shown below

image.jpeg.8b48cf9de07c3d49e8564a59826629e2.jpeg

I downloaded from the Schaudt website a manual for the IT95 unit and the panel DOES NOT carry a switch for the water-pump. So (as you've said) there may be a water-pump On/Off switch elsewhere in Mark's motorhome, or the pump is powered automatically when the panel's main 12V switch is turned On.

As Hymer handbooks are  pretty comprehensive, there SHOULD have been information about the water system and water-pump in the Van 522 handbook.

Archived