Rentals cars in Turkey

jadelane

If you are just travelling from village to town etc, then use the Dolmus, it's a registered minibus,just put your hand out and it will stop for you. It's a fixed fare and will cost the same regardless of where you get on or off.

Tell the driver to stop when you need to get off. They tend to be crowded so be prepared to fit 6 on a seat for 4.

Taxis are not too expensive, but arrange fare first, dont travel alone in a taxi if you are a woman.

Dont hire a car unless you are a confident and competant driver, Turkish drivers tend to work on the law of "biggest gets priority" and they will overtake anywhere, so be prepared to meet someone head on in the middle of a bend. But as always, if you drive cautiously, you should be ok.

If it's your first time in Turkey, you will love it, we are off to Icmeler (for the 12th time), just outside Marmaris on the 5th july and by all accounts its red hot out there.

jadelane - 2007-07-02 8:11 AM

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me about any cheapest and most authentic transportation in Turkey

Thanks for your advices

Hi,

As a frequent visitor to Turkey with my Timberland we use the local public (Dolmus) transport quite often.

The Dolmus does local area runs and usually runs to surrounding towns and villages. Cost is extremely cheap.

For long distance travel there is an excellent service by modern air conditioned coaches, the service is as good as anything world wide and once again very cheap. It puts our National Express to shame.

The main road network is in good condition, motorway tolls are very cheap.

Diesel is very expensive, the last time I checked it was about £0.85 per litre.

The average family does not have a car and outside the large towns traffic is very light.

Don

donna miller - 2007-07-02 8:34 AM

If you are just travelling from village to town etc, then use the Dolmus, it's a registered minibus,just put your hand out and it will stop for you. It's a fixed fare and will cost the same regardless of where you get on or off.

Tell the driver to stop when you need to get off. They tend to be crowded so be prepared to fit 6 on a seat for 4.

Taxis are not too expensive, but arrange fare first, dont travel alone in a taxi if you are a woman.

Dont hire a car unless you are a confident and competant driver, Turkish drivers tend to work on the law of "biggest gets priority" and they will overtake anywhere, so be prepared to meet someone head on in the middle of a bend. But as always, if you drive cautiously, you should be ok.

If it's your first time in Turkey, you will love it, we are off to Icmeler (for the 12th time), just outside Marmaris on the 5th july and by all accounts its red hot out there.

Hi Donna,

Icmeler is one of our watering holes on our winter trip. We usually stay on the car park close to the Laguna Hotel.

It's an entirely different place in the winter, peacefull and usually no other motorhomes about.

There's an excellent Market on the outskirts of the town, Wednesday if I remember correctly.

We often wonder what its like in summer, it's 27C today that's a bit warm for us.

Have a good holiday.

Don

Hi, Dear traveler

I know a cheapest and most reliable transportation are by the local Dolmus buses that have routes to most of the remote areas and places to be seen. Taxis are also economical. Renting a car should be avoided as it is very risky to drive on unknown roads of Turkey.

Ferries are available from Turkey to nearby areas. Boat trips / excursions are also available to popular sights. You need to book in advance as most of the ferries are already booked in peak season.

Have a nice trip

Don Madge - 2007-07-02 9:21 AM

Hi Donna,

Icmeler is one of our watering holes on our winter trip. We usually stay on the car park close to the Laguna Hotel.

It's an entirely different place in the winter, peacefull and usually no other motorhomes about.

There's an excellent Market on the outskirts of the town, Wednesday if I remember correctly.

We often wonder what its like in summer, it's 27C today that's a bit warm for us.

Have a good holiday.

Don

Hi Don,

We've just had word that it's up to the 40s in the sun at the moment,

Do you call in at the bars that are open in the winter, the Geordie bar and the Travellers rest opposite Tansas are both owned by Brits, and both called Christine if I remember. We also stayed at the Babadan apartments for years, they are owned by Duran and his wife (english). I'll try to speak to everyone I know who lives there permenantly, and let you know of any other park-up spots.

D

donna miller - 2007-07-02 11:21 AM

Don Madge - 2007-07-02 9:21 AM

Hi Donna,

It's an entirely different place in the winter, peaceful and usually no other motorhomes about.

Have a good holiday.

Don

Hi Don,

We've just had word that it's up to the 40s in the sun at the moment,

Do you call in at the bars that are open in the winter, the Geordie bar and the Travellers rest opposite Tansas are both owned by Brits, and both called Christine if I remember. We also stayed at the Babadan apartments for years, they are owned by Duran and his wife (english). I'll try to speak to everyone I know who lives there permenantly, and let you know of any other park-up spots.

D

Donna,

Thanks for the offer, any parking spots would be appreciated, we don't like to stay too long in any one place as we have no wish to push our luck.

We've always found the Turks very helpful and friendly. They have a saying "We give from the heart and not the pocket" which sums them up.

We don't frequent the bars very often as we are both bothered by the smoke. We often eat out at lunch time when we can sit outside and watch the world go by.

Have a good trip.

Don

Archived