another one for dave

pagey

hi dave ive just crawled out from underneath the fiat i saw the drain plug at the bottom of the gearbox with the square in the centre of it but i also noticed there seems to be another one higher up on the casing just beside the o/side driveshaft could i fill it up there as ive yet to find the reverse switch also the heater drain pipe does pour water on the box i will make a mod to it many thanks pagey

Hi Pagey, sorry about the confusion I had mistakenly thought originally that you had the later 'box. Yes I'm pretty sure that the plug on the diff housing is the filler plug. There should be two drain plugs on the bottom, one on the main casing and one on the diff casing. I'm not sure of the exact quantity of oil required but the filler plug should also be the correct level. Reverse light switch is on the top of the box.

D.

In edit: Sorry we crossed postings. As you say the Fiat handbook quotes two litres so thats the correct amount.

Eddie, why does it bother you?

D.

hi dave no i did not check the level i drained it into a clean bowl and measured the oil, whats bothering me is the van was last serviced by county motorhomes down in the west country 6000 miles ago for the previous owner so i can only assume that it was them who topped it up to 3 litres now i dont know weather to add 1 more litre or not as you know the book states 2 but you would have thought county know this so why 3.I dont think that the plug i filled up at is a level plug it seems too high up, if it is a level plug then its short of oil thanks pagey

hi guys i phoned essanjay this morning and they said that the plug i found next to the driveshaft is the filler/level plug and that the box holds more than 2 litres of oil,i managed to get another .5 litres in it so its 2.5 litres and not as the fiat handbook says 2 litres i dont know if .5 of a litre really matters that much but as you know i have only just bought it and its first trip is to Germany.if it goes wrong it goes wrong i just did not want it to be my fault many thanks for your input..pagey

Archived