Got to tell someone

eddie123

Hi all, I picked up my new Burstner two weeks ago which signals our return to the world of motorhoming after an absence of 18 years. I have (last week) fitted an Omnistst Crank-Up dish and found it straight forward once I had climbed on the roof and plucked up the courage to drill the 32mm dia hole through the brand new roof. I did have a discussion with the dealer first about potential impact on the warranty. I have also fitted two 11kg Gaslow cylinders with auto change over. I have been following the thread regarding high incidence of leakage on the metal to metal conical seals, I thought I would try to get a seal first, and only use a sealant if necessary. However none of the six joints leaked so it can be done. I don't know if it helped but I ran two wraps of PTFE tape around all the threads (but not in the vicinity of the seal area) before tightening the connectors in the belief that it would cut down the friction generated as the nuts were being tightened, thus allowing all the torque applied by the spanner to make the seal rather than get lost in friction on the threads. That was my theory anyway. When I filled the cylinders to half full capacity I was concerned by a noise as soon as I connected the gun to the filler adaptor (before pressing the fill button on the pump), I presume the cylinder vacuum was being vented through the pump pipework, anyway so far so good. Next fill will take them up to the 80% content.

All the best, Ed

PTFE is perfectly fine on LPG and natural gas. The PTFE tape for gas use is mounted on a yellow roll and is twice the thickness of the usual plumbing stuff on the white roll. truth be known putting PTFE tape on the threads of the POL coupling is unlikely to help seal anything as if the taper doesn't seal the gas will seep down the inside of the nut. You might be correct in your assumption that it reduces the friction though and therefore allows more of the clamping force to tighten up on the taper.

D.

The tape will not be exposed to any LPG because the conical seal is doing what it was designed to do i.e. make the seal. As I said the tape is there purely to help reduce friction on the brass threads. I purposely kept the tape well out of the way of the sealing area, so in effect the tape is on the atmospheric side of the seal and if it is exposed to anything it will be air

Archived