What am I motorhome or caravan

chatterdog

hi, Just wondered wether we would class as motorhome or caravan. We are a 5th wheel unit manufactured to uk spec in the u.s.a. Have found this forum whilst looking at the planned events so decided to join and would be interested to find out what other people would class us as. (Some insurance companies class us as a motorhome as it has to be a specialized unit to tow the trailer and some class us as 'car' and caravan). For those of you that arn't sure what a 5th wheel is - it is a trailer that hooks into the back of a pickup on a special mounting like a 40ft artic. To me its the best of both worlds because when you unhitch and you have a normal sized vehicle to run around in, but it is also more stable when towing with no snake or drag. I also think its less likely to get stolen as there are several different hitches and you have to have the right one. Have looked around the site today and have posted a couple of times, and it seems to cover just about everything that people could need help with from tech to sites with lively debate/chat as well.

Hi Maggie, and welcome. I would imagine the only way to class your unit is as a caravan/trailer. Regardless of how you hitch it up there,s no "motor" involved apart from the towing vehicle.

Most probably those at the insurance side of things either have,nt got a clue, or are terrified of actually making a decision.

Don,t think it makes much difference whether its motorhome or motorcaravan BJ, but never assume that because caravans are not allowed then the same applies to motorhomes or vice versa. I,ve learnt from experience to always read the small print at parking areas, and often wonder if there,s a deliberate ploy involved for raising extra revenue by allowing to think you are legally parked when in effect you are breaking one of their petty rules. :-(

They have petty rules on the car parks on the I.O.W at the bottom of the notice board it states : Persons using this car parking facility are NOT permitted to eat / drink or sleep in their vehicle and they also charge extortionate rates to park as well , as to say we will not be returning to the I.O.W anytime in the future

You can stay all day I think it was £6.50 up to 6 hours or up to 8 hours the charges were from 1hr to up to 24 hrs and charged accordingly this also applied to roadside parking but no camping allowed which you can understand but its a bit much when you cannot have a little snooze or a cuppa if you feel like it after you had paid your parking fee we saw 2 workmen parked on roadside but were sat on roadside seats having their lunch next to their vehicles good job it was not raining .

kelly58 - 2007-07-04 2:43 PM

They have petty rules on the car parks on the I.O.W at the bottom of the notice board it states : Persons using this car parking facility are NOT permitted to eat / drink or sleep in their vehicle and they also charge extortionate rates to park as well , as to say we will not be returning to the I.O.W anytime in the future

I stopped on a car park in Carlisle recently which had a notice saying something like 'No acts of domesticity allowed on this carpark' - I ate my sandwich in the loo, just in case *-)

I think you are a "Dismountable". I used to have a Honda Romahome, which comprised of a Honda Acty pickup truck with a fibreglass caravan unit which could be removed by jacking it up and driving away. You can imagine the advantages. :-D The insurance companies were told it was a motorcaravan, the logbook said "pickup". Luckily, I never had to claim!! 8-)

Archived