Solar Panels,

Solentlady

Hi Every one,

Please can I have every ones ideas on Solar panels,

my husband and I are new to owning a Motor home, ( we have a Hymer 564), and would like to be able to use solar panels so we dont have to have a hook up, if you know what I mean. out in the far off younder!!!

Are they worth the price of them.?

Kind regards,

Solentlady. *-)

:-D We have been Full TIming for the last 7 years. We have always had Solar Panels and extra batteries. If your idea is to spend more time OFF Campsites? Then Solar Power is necessary (or a generator). If you only wish to spend a short time off Campsites then they are not.

We started off with 1 x 120 Watt Solar Panel and changed our 2 x 85ah batteries to 2 x 110 ah batteries. Being heavy users of Satellite, TV and Computers. We found that it was not enough for ALL the year round. I increased the Solar Panels to 2 x 120 Watt and a 50 Watt and the batteries to 4 x 110ah. That provided us with enough power for the majority of the year except in the darkest of Winter. We started off with 2 x 300 Watt Inverters and then I added an 800 Watt Inverter. Our current RV has 2 x 125 Watt Solar panels and 2 x 105ah batteries. I have 6 x 110ah batteries yet to couple up. I have an 800 watt Inverter for 220/240 volts and a 1500/3000 Watt, 110/120 Inverter to fit after the extra batteries are coupled up.

IMHO I would NOT be without them. ;-)

Hello,

Go to the top of this page and select the search option, a new interface appears. From the left hand pane pick the 'Motorhome Matters' forum. Once done, type 'solar' into the subject search box and then from the drop down box relating to the search period pick the 'last year' option. Run the search.

You will be presented with a wealth of information. A recent thread called something like Solar Panels, are they worth it? was the last time the matter was thrashed out.

If you have any observations or questions after your search, we'll do the best we can.

The short answer for most cases though is no.

Hope you find this of use, good luck.

Archived