Italian Lakes

Big Momma

I generally book my summer European trips through Eurocamp who I have personally found to be very good. However, they have advised me that the sites featured in their brochures for the Italian lakes will not accomodate the size of my motorhome (7.5m).

I am looking partculary at Maggiore, Garda and Como. Has anyone got any experience of Sites that will accommodate me ?

Guest JudgeMental

leaving it a bit late for best sites - they get booked by Christmas...

try "Alan Rogers" guide online, and at this stage I would call the sites directly. also contact sites in Eurocamp guide directly you may be surprised. don't email call!

can also look at:

http://www.camping.it/english/cartina.asp

the caravan club euro guide is supposed to be reliable

we are off to lakes in a couple of weeks - weather is looking good :-D

Stayed in both Como and Maggiore. Both had plenty of space for our 7 metre van. Como nowhere near the lake and a very dull site. Not a good lake to take the van round. Highly recommend Conca d'Oro at Feriolo - http://www.concadoro.it/htm/cdo_dovesiamo.htm On the lakeside (Maggiore). Sandy beach, marked pitches under trees. 1 hour from Turin (Turin site up very steep and winding hill, not for fainthearted but handy for Turin!)

Stressa is very near and posh, but has NO parking for motorhomes. We found bus service very unreliable and gave up. We also found it all very expensive. Can highly recommend the icecream shop/kiosk at the end of the bay in Baveno, 200 yards from the campsite, steps up to road nearby. Very enjoyable time overall. Mainly Germans and Italians.

many thanks. I should have explained that this was not for this summer but for next year (I always plan several trips a year well in advance - it's either that or doing the gardening !).

I have an Alan Rogers Europe Guide but it does not generally give very much information on Unit sizes. However, I have just purchased the Camperstop 2007 book (www.vicariousbooks.co.uk) as well as the latest French Aires book. What a brilliant service, I ordered 4 books off their web site on Wednesday night, all 4 books arrived first post Friday morning, what an incredible service ! I don't think I will ever book camp sites again as the camperstops look brilliant and some (not many) offer shower facilities. Although I have camped in Europe for many years now with trailer tents, caravans and MotorhomesI have always taken the safe option *-) Now, with no kids in tow I can be a little more adventurous.

Once again, thanks for the replies.

If you want a good sites guide, with accurate info on the sites, go for the Caravan Europe guides from the Caravan Club.  Available to members and non-members alike by post, and from some bookshops.

All the information is provided by users, who have actually stayed on the sites, so there are no "inspectors" reporting the product of lightning visits.  Guides are updated each year.

Guide 2 does Italy (and most of the rest of Europe to the East of France).  Guide 1 does France, Spain, Portugal and Andorra. 

The reports "tell it like it is", although they are left in for 4 years, (the date of the last report is given against the site entry) so, if no one else has visited within that timescale, things can have changed.  Still, if they have, you get forms at the back that you can send in to update the next guide!

There is an excellent, informative, "Country" section prefacing each country's sites list, with information on driving restrictions, general speed limits, banking hours etc etc.  Approximate locations of sites is shown on a country map, with the "permanent" sites highlighted.

Guest JudgeMental

nothing like planning ahead!

Alan Rogers site search is available free on line on web site.

lots of sites have full service pirches these days for RV's

but at 7.5 m can't see this as being much of a problem...

its cheaper to book direct - no need to use eurocamp and the like

Archived