Fiat Ducato Cambelt

Don Madge

Just had our 2003 Ducato's (48,000 miles) cambelt, tensioners and alternator belt replaced by our little man down the road.

He won't fit a new cam belt without replacing the tensioners as well.

Cost

Gates Power grip Kit £123.86

Alternator belt £13.66

Labour £125.00

Plus VAT of course.

It's very handy having a very reliable garage within walking distance of your house.

Don

Hi, Don

That sounds like a good price and its handy that hes close, did you get a price for the same work from a Fiat main agent ? and is yours a 2.8 JTD

Don Madge - 2007-07-05 2:10 PM

Just had our 2003 Ducato's (48,000 miles) cambelt, tensioners and alternator belt replaced by our little man down the road.

Cost

Alternator belt £13.66

Labour £125.00

Plus VAT of course.

It's very handy having a very reliable garage within walking distance of your house.

Don

enodreven - 2007-07-05 2:16 PM

Hi, Don

That sounds like a good price and its handy that hes close, did you get a price for the same work from a Fiat main agent ? and is yours a 2.8 JTD

Don Madge - 2007-07-05 2:10 PM

Cost

Alternator belt £13.66

Labour £125.00

Plus VAT of course.

Don

Brian,

My local Fiat dealer did not want to know. Would not even give me an estimate let alone a quote.

Yes it's a 2.8 jtd.

Don

Hi Don,

That's a very good price you got there. I noted on MHF that somebody said that the 'book' quotes just over an hour for this job. I can confirm that the 'book' at my friendly local garage said the same (1.5 hrs) for the 2.8JTD but the mechanic decribed the book figure as codswallop before he even started.

I seem to recall that 2.5hrs was more accurate and the mechanic who does cambelts every day of his working life describes the job on the Ducato JTD as a 'pig'. I watched him do the job and would tend to agree and wouldn't like to attempt it without a four wheel hoist to keep moving the vehicle up and down for access.

I like to do some spanner wielding but £250'ish is a small price to pay for a 'pig' job.

Nobby

Archived