november in france

henry

:-Managed to get a couple of weeks off and fancy france and snow or forests. Don't want to drive much more than 8 hours, any ideas out there?

The pooches will be with us so walks are fairly important, a sunny sky would be most welcome

Regards henry

Hi Henry,

Not sure exactly where you want to stay, but how about some nice aire d'services, on hard standing, some with electricity are Le Touquet, Le Treport, Honfleur about 190 miles plus 190 miles return. Nice walks with dogs into town where you can do your shopping.

If you want a christmassy feel, we were on the Mosel just over the border at Urzig aires one November in Germany, hard standing and electricity, site in village. Christmas carols and beautiful old villages very picturesque all along the Mosel, lots of places to stay, 281 miles to get there.

Hope above gives you some ideas - Regards Terry

Try the Ardennes--France Belgium and Luxembourt.Forests, rivers and maybe not the highest--but some good hills.About 250 miles and then when you have had enough--the Vosges.

Hava a good trip wherever you go.

BrianM

In a good autumn, you could do a lot worse than Alsace.  If it is fine, it takes a lot of beating, and is within about one day's drive of the Eastern Channel ports. 

However, you are likely to have to travel farther South to get reasonable weather anywhere in France in November.  It will depend on the year, but November is a bit early for snow, except at higher altitudes.  Generally, the East is the drier side, but is also where the mountains live, and they always serve up surprises!

Many thanksfor ll your replies and ideas, we are looking at the ardennes at a place called Colmar, anyone been???

If you see two dogs and their not very well behaved owners, one of whom looks like a little lamb ( the dog not the owner) give us a big wave

regards henry next will be the ferry bookings. We met some nice people who had a really good deal from the tunnel :-D (lol)

Colmar is a very beautiful city, ( if you can describe any City as 'beautiful'), particularly the old town. It is the Alsace wine region, so try to visit some of the outlying vilages, where you will be more than welcome to taste ( and buy) the local wines in the Caves. My favourite alsace wine is Gerwurtztraminer, but because Christmas will be approaching while you are there, be sure to buy a bottle or three of Cremant de Alsace, which is a sparkling wine much cheaper than champagne, and, in my (extremely) humble opinion, far better.

Also bear in mind that you will only be a short distance from the German border and a day trip into the Black Forest is a possibility. And you are not far from Strasbourg, so can visit the site of the European Parliament, but don't let that put you off! Enjoy.

Peter

henry - 2007-07-06 10:53 PM Many thanksfor ll your replies and ideas, we are looking at the ardennes at a place called Colmar, anyone been??? If you see two dogs and their not very well behaved owners, one of whom looks like a little lamb ( the dog not the owner) give us a big wave regards henry next will be the ferry bookings. We met some nice people who had a really good deal from the tunnel :-D (lol)

Henry

Is there a mistake?  The Ardennes are along the border with Belgium, and Colmar is towards the Southern end of Alsace, near the Rhine.  The nearest hills to Colmar are the Vosges. 

Don't know if you were proposing to use Aires or Campsites, but do be aware that not many of either are open all year. 

If you are thinking of Alsace, there is a very good Municipal campsite at Obernai: open all year, with excellent, fully heated, facilities, including the washing up sinks!  About 30K South West of Strasbourg.  Trains to Strasbourg, Selestat, Colmar and even, it seems, Freiburg im Breisgau, if you don't feel like driving.

Hi,

You would be amazed at my geographical knowledge, yes Colmar is where you said!!!!

:-D (lol) We look to have a nice time wherever we end up!Good walking around that area do you know?

Regards henry

Just to throw in another possibility, have a look at the Jura/Doub area. Just about within a days drive of Calais, and full of hills, forests, lakes etc. It is on the Northrn border of Switzerland. Later (or do I mean earlier?) in the year it is a cross-country ski area. Comté and Emmental cheeses and air dried hams are its speciality. The aire at St Point du Lac is a favourite of mine.

Brian

henry - 2007-07-11 12:47 PM Hi brian, Could you give me a nearby town please, my search engine is baffled by this one which sounds just the ticket, many thanks Henry :-D

If you enter saint point lac you should get some hits. 

If not, try Metacrawler as your default search engine. 

Just enter "metacrawler" as your present search, and then follow the on screen instructions.  It posts your search to 8-10 other search engines, and lists the responses for you. 

You do get a few duplicates, but there are few hits that it misses, so to speak!

henry - 2007-07-11 12:47 PM

Hi brian,

Could you give me a nearby town please, my search engine is baffled by this one which sounds just the ticket, many thanks Henry :-D

The nearest town is Pontarlier, in the Doub - dept 25.

Brian

Archived